Satisfied with your shoulder mount? at

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 31st, 2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Major Player
Satisfied with your shoulder mount?

I'm wondering how satisfied people are who've bought either the dm or vf shoulder mounts? I know there was discussion in this thread EX-3/Tripod base Plate--DM Plate vs.VFGagets - The Digital Video Information Network, but I'm wondering specifically if either of them has "solved" the difficulty of hand-holding the ex3 or whether it's just another jerry-rigged halfway measure.
EX3, Mac Pro, FCP
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle
I have the Vortex Media VSB1 shoulder mount. While I like the shape and design, I ended up adding some of my own sliding plates and clamps. I wish the metal were twice as thick as the current brace flexes with an EX1 and bounces up and down. I understand that the makers wanted to keep the brace light, but I wouldn't mind a little extra weight in the interest of stability.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew
I just received the DM Shoulder Mount with the flip-out battery plate and IDX attachment. It feels rock solid, and seems like it's made the EX3 into a properly weighted camera. I'm going into the field about a week from now for a month of shooting so I'll definitely be putting it to the test. I'll report back here.
Zachary Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew
Satisfied but looking for rail solution

Hey guys.

I've been using the ST-7 shoulder mount with a Sony battery set-up. I like it. Balance is a bit off, a bit front heavy without wide angle, pretty front heavy with wide angle. It comes equiped with a V mount for the full size Sony batteries so no need to buy another mount.

The only problem is that you can't attach rails for a matte box.

Has anyone manipulated their ST-7 to accept rails? If so, what brand of matte box are you using? I was thinking about possibly welding rail guides on but since I live hours by plane from the nearest supplier, testing matte boxes before buying isn't an option.

Any thoughts?

Joe Yaggi
Creative Supervisor, Director, DP
Joe Yaggi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds