Buying an EX3... Additional "Stuff" Wish List? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying an EX3... Additional "Stuff" Wish List?

The "big job" invoices have been submitted... and once I actually get the checks, I can finally move up to the EX3. (Too bad I have apparently missed the rebate period but what are you gonna do, right?)

I am budgeting $10,500 for new capital equipment. (Maybe a little more if another pending job comes in).

So after $8300 for the camera - What else should I invest in with the remaining $2000 or so?

I am good on the computer side (New Mac Pro & monitors from the last "big job) so I'd appreciate advice purely on the camera/production side. What are the essential add ons you kids recommend?

I shoot training films (lots of greenscreen/Interview stuff and indoor footage under lousy lighting conditions); promotional films (lot of factory stuff indoors and theme park stuff outdoors) plus other odd projects.

Thanks...I really look forward to hearing wish list thoughts.

Lucky
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

Good tripod, matte box, filters, production monitor, Pelican case, headphones, mics. Lot more than $2K if you really want to have the best but the specifics are up to you.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

Don't forget media. SxS (my recommendation) or SDHC card with adapter (I have some but don't trust them, OK I am paranoid I have the PHU-60 as well and hardly ever use it).

A better mounting plate is a must:
DM-Accessories - EX3-PLATE Reinforcement Plate for EX3 Camcorders
EX3 Heavy Duty Base Plate System | VFGadgets.com

The Vortex Media Field guide is a great thing to have. The DVD too.

Other than that it is like any other video camera, bag, mikes, raingear, I like the Miller Solo sticks for EX3 and of course Extra batteries. I am sure I am forgetting something.

On Location lights, I love the Chris Gyoury’s Lighting System:
Lighting for film, video, photography by Gyoury Evolved

OK it is really easy to spend money.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the ideas so far...

Thanks for the ideas so far...but I was of those dads who always told my kids tell me exactly what they wanted for Christmas..."A bike? What bike? At what store? What Color? As a result they were never disappointed.

So, can those who are kind enough to respond be more specific?

I do indeed understand I need mics...travel cases...tripods (I am actually digging on the SOOM but for $3,000 that is some heavy lifting.)

Can you be more specific to gear that specifically is working well with EX3's? What bag in particular? What Matte Box? Any Ideas on the relatively New ARRI rig? What mic is really working well for you? The reinforced base plates was great input I would have never thought about.

Just got some new business from an old client this morning, my budget just went up to 5 grand over the cost of the camera so feel free to spend my money vicariously.

Again thanks for the input.
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Major Player

So many choices...i have about $15,000 in audio; you want the whole list? Same for the lighting package :)

I like my vinten vision 3 fluid head & stix, about $3000
I like my W/A lens, about $4000.
I like my manfrotto zoom controller, about $300
I like my Dolgin 2 place battery charger & 2 extra large size batteries, about $600
I like my 4 MxR adapters, about $50 each.
I like my 8 Transcend 16gb cards, about $40 each
My matte box is too old to remember what it cost! But I do like having one along with a 4X4 pola
Like the clear filter for the lenses too
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:42 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
I like my W/A lens, about $4000.
I like my manfrotto zoom controller, about $300
Slightly off topic... Ed, please post up stills or a clip showing the Fujinon in it's wide angle glory against a bunch of vertical & horizontal lines. Interested to see what the barrel distortion is like.. I assume on the cost of the lens you mentioned that it is the Fujinon wide angle made for the EX3.

Back to Lucky's post. Like Ed, I had most of his stuff on my hit list. I went for the .75 Century Wide Angle/Zoom through. I am happy with it as it pretty much lives on the camera but it is now not a hand holdable camera anymore. The auxillary zoom control is pretty much "a first purchase". I have the Manfrotto one but there are others. Bebob makes one, Libec and maybe one or two other manufacturers (there are a few threads on the topic). Sounds like you need microphones. There is a great review/bakeoff on 2 Sennheiser hypercardioid/short boom mics. Go for the more expensive one. Seriously.

You probably need an on camera light for the kind of work you do. There are lots of options. Tried & true could be a Frezzi. More modern there is an inexpensive Lite Panels LED fixture that runs off AA batteries. More posh is the Zylight but way more expensive and requires big 12 volt batteries to power for long stints.

Cleaning supplies. If you haven't shot HD, you got to realize that you have to keep your lenses clean, clean along with lots of attention to focus in your shooting. Typical stuff and inexpensive. Blower blub, cleaning clothes & cleaning pens.

Memory. Spend some time getting to know the options for SDHC cards and adaptors. You can buy them from Amazon marketplace and eBay. There is also a nifty Pelican case for the SDHC cards. Essential in my mind. Also CaseLogic cases for the adaptor cards (use the forum search to get the scoop).

Kata makes a good bag for the EX3 and there are a couple of others.

All the info is here on the forum. Spend a few evenings doing the research and all will become clear.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Andrew
Pretty busy right now. Maybe next week?

Sorry.

e
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Don't be sorry Ed. Good to be busy.

If you are able to post up with stuff down the road your feelings about the Fujinon lens over the other wide angle zoom throughs available, assuming you have had experience with the others out there... Now that I am thinking about it, it might be productive to start a separate thread showing some stills from the various wide angle solutions out there for the EX3 (and EX1).
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have that new Fuji EX wide and it's great. I use it on a jib, and performs just like a $12,000 lens. The front diameter is 100mm, so most matte boxes will work as well. Great lens for the price. Only down fall, is that it just makes the front end, that much more front heavy. It's the same weight as a 2/3 Fuji wide. But that's not the len's fault.
Here's some screen shot and info from Abel.
Sony / XDCAM / SxS | CineTechnica - Page 2
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 03:24 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Something to consider on your shopping list as well:
One of the first things I got for my Ex3 was the B+W 486 IR filter to fix the "red contamination". If you want your blacks to be black and not crimson red or some weird dark brown tint that is the way to go. especially filming in bad lighting conditions.
not essential but nice and effective are Warm cards, just if you want to get some more from your white balance.
Jonathan Massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Do you have no equipment at all?

A good tripod and microphone are the most important pieces of equipment outside of the camera itself.

- Buy a #2 Soft/Efx Tiffen filter (for interviews, it soften faces)

- If you shoot interviews, buy a softbox and some Chimera window patterns.
CHIMERA Window Patterns
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:09 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Wireless

If you are doing interviews, please consider the new Sennheizer EW 100 ENG G3 wireless set. Impressive signal/noise!
Arild Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Another thing that you need to invest is in archiving ( though you might have already calculated that in computer expenses). store your material on dedicated external Hard Drives for backup, burn to discs ( dvd, blue ray...).
Jonathan Massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:57 AM   #14
Major Player

Sorry, I forgot my Chevy Express 1 ton extended van. if you're gonna load up with the tools, you gotta have a real truck to haul it all in!!!!
C-stands, 6X6 silks, 12 X 14 ultimatte, 4 chimeras, over a dozen lights, cables, misc grip, etc etc, etc all need storage space.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:45 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Great stuff kids...

Thanks for all of the great input..though I have to say I will be dead and gone before I can glom all of the stuff Ed Kukla suggested...

After reading your posts and others on the boards I do have some questions...

Sounds like the little Sony PHU 60K sux...So a combo of 8 -16 - 32 cards is the media answer...I know I can do the workaround with the cheaper cards/adapters but OE Equipment seems smarter at the beginning. (on the other hand the new AJA Ki looks very sweet). Agree?
Seems like UV and or UV/IR filters are essential?
Seems like the baseplate add on is essential?
My old BM sticks and head seem a bit on the light side so I am sniffing out the new 0742 FSB-8T Tripod System with DA 75LTripod...good choice for under $2000?
What about a case/travel case...The VIDEOCRUZER case seems smart for travel but a PortaBrace or other seems like a smart thing to have for everyday hauling around as well.
Also could I get a bit more imput on a mic...perhaps one that will be good on camera but can also be hung on a boom for one or two shot indoor inteviews.

Thanks again...

Thanks again for your input.
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds