DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Nikon 12-24mm f/4 G ED for EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/236667-nikon-12-24mm-f-4-g-ed-ex3.html)

Ofer Levy June 3rd, 2009 08:55 AM

Nikon 12-24mm f/4 G ED for EX3

Hi all,

I do most of my work with Nikon lenses mounted on the EX3. For landscapes I use the stock zoom lens but I am not very happy with the results as there is a bit of CA.
I am considering geting the Nikon 12-24mm f/4 G ED still lens for landscapes as I can mount it on the EX3.
Does anyone know whether this makes sense - can I expect better quality image when using this lens over the stock zoom lens?
I know about the crop factor and realise I won't get a real wide angle zoom but that is fine.

Thanks,
Ofer Levy
Ofer Levy Photography

Alastair Traill June 3rd, 2009 09:53 PM

Hi Ofer,

It is hard to see any advantages of using the 12-24 on the EX3. When used on the Nikon you have the option of using sophisticated auto exposure and auto focus controls. If you change focal length it can readjust focus for you if required. All this will be lost on the EX3 as will "expanded focus" and "record review" becomes more complicated. The smaller maximum aperture could be another drawback. I am not in a position to comment on image quality but would be interested in any comments.

Alexander Kubalsky June 3rd, 2009 10:06 PM

Hi Ofer,

Ignore this question if I'm mistaken but ...Aren't G series lenses made without aperture rings? So you have no control over iris.

James Huenergardt June 4th, 2009 12:14 AM

That is true, but the guy (can't remember his name) that makes the Nikon/EX3 adapter has one that allows you to control the aperture manually of the Nikon G lenses.

Ofer Levy June 4th, 2009 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Huenergardt (Post 1153754)
That is true, but the guy (can't remember his name) that makes the Nikon/EX3 adapter has one that allows you to control the aperture manually of the Nikon G lenses.

Thanks for your input guys!
I can use Nikon G lenses with Mike Tapa's Nikon G to EX3 adaptor. It gives you the ability to open and close the iris even without an aperture ring. I am already using it with my Nikon 200-400 G ED VR and it is fantastic!!

Mounts and Adaptors

I know I am not going to have any automatic controls - I am just wondering whether the image quality will be better than what I get with the stock zoom lens which has a bit of CA.

Paul Inglis June 4th, 2009 11:43 AM

Hi Ofer,

I too have been using the new EX-3 to Nikon G from Mike and think it's great with the 105mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 200-400mm f/4 as it has a crop of 5.4x.

But the 12-24mm f/4 is a DX lens and that was made for the 1.5x Nikon sensors. The crop factor would be 3.625X making the lens 43.5-87mm which IMO isn't a true wide angle and couldn't see any really benefit in using it. However I'll try it tomorrow as I have one and see how it works out - if I get chance I'll post some footage for you to look at.

Matthew Hurley June 4th, 2009 02:52 PM

Heres a little curve ball. Anybody making a Nikon G to Nikon mount? for we guys that use the Redrock and SDblade 35 MM adaptors?

I do know Redrock has come out with an adaptor to use on its 35MM adaptor that allows operation of Canon Mk2D lenses iris control.

I have some really nice Nikon G lenses, yet no way to control the iris, if i were to use them on a Redrock or SDblade adaptor.

Les Nagy June 4th, 2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Inglis (Post 1153977)
Hi Ofer,

I too have been using the new EX-3 to Nikon G from Mike and think it's great with the 105mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 200-400mm f/4 as it has a crop of 5.4x.

But the 12-24mm f/4 is a DX lens and that was made for the 1.5x Nikon sensors. The crop factor would be 3.625X making the lens 43.5-87mm

A little correction needed here. The 12-24 lens is a 12-24 lens. Its focal length is the same whether it is was made to be used on a full frame sensor or a crop 1.5 sensor. The 5.5x factor still applies.

Ofer Levy June 4th, 2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Hurley (Post 1154101)
Heres a little curve ball. Anybody making a Nikon G to Nikon mount? for we guys that use the Redrock and SDblade 35 MM adaptors?

I do know Redrock has come out with an adaptor to use on its 35MM adaptor that allows operation of Canon Mk2D lenses iris control.

I have some really nice Nikon G lenses, yet no way to control the iris, if i were to use them on a Redrock or SDblade adaptor.

Mounts and Adaptors

Ofer Levy June 4th, 2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Inglis (Post 1153977)
Hi Ofer,

But the 12-24mm f/4 is a DX lens and that was made for the 1.5x Nikon sensors. The crop factor would be 3.625X making the lens 43.5-87mm which IMO isn't a true wide angle and couldn't see any really benefit in using it. However I'll try it tomorrow as I have one and see how it works out - if I get chance I'll post some footage for you to look at.

That would be great Paul - thank you!

Larry Hill June 4th, 2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Nagy (Post 1154274)
A little correction needed here. The 12-24 lens is a 12-24 lens. Its focal length is the same whether it is was made to be used on a full frame sensor or a crop 1.5 sensor. The 5.5x factor still applies.

Exactly right!

Paul Inglis June 5th, 2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Nagy (Post 1154274)

True if it was a 135mm lens but it's not it's a DX lens.

You see Nikon designed the DX lenses specifically to use with their smaller sensors which are 1.5x on the DX cameras and have a reduced capacity compared to regular lenses. Therefore if use on a film or full-frame sensor at some of there settings they will black-out the corners. That's why Nikon built an option for their FX cameras to use only a smaller section in the centre of their larger sensors.

Nikon designed the 12-24mm f/4 lens in 2003 with the purpose of enabling true wide angles on the 1.5x sensor. Which it does and they got it to give the same angles of view on a DX camera that is similar to what a 20-35mm lens does on 35mm film camera.

Therefore the crop using MTF Services EX-3 to Nikon G Adaptor is 3.625x not 5.4x!

Paul Inglis June 5th, 2009 10:38 AM

Hi Ofer,

I've tried the lens and I'm quite impressed with the quality of footage and there doesn't appear to be any CA at the 12mm setting. However at 12mm the crop is 43.5mm and isn't anywhere near as wide as the stock lens. I zoomed the stock lens to approximately same position - having the same amount in the frame as the 12mm and there is zip CA. At the widest on the stock lens I agree there is a little CA. IMO I wouldn't by this lens for this purpose.

Hope that helps a bit! If I get time later I'll put up the test shots.

Happy shooting,

Paul

Larry Hill June 5th, 2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Inglis (Post 1154467)
Therefore the crop using MTF Services EX-3 to Nikon G Adaptor is 3.625x not 5.4x!

This is all just a matter of semantics. The term "crop factor" is in and of itself meaningless. These lenses do have a crop factor of 3.625x with respect to the field of view of a DX camera, but they still have a crop factor of 5.4x with respect to a full-frame 35mm camera like the canon D5.

Comparing different image formats can be a hairy issue. Also, since still cameras have a 3:2 aspect ratio while our HD video cams have a 16:9 ratio, the perceived field of view kind of depends on whether you are interested in horizontal or a vertical coverage. I expect most people use the diagonal measurements of image size, but I don't think that really conveys the effective coverage.

Ofer Levy June 5th, 2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Inglis (Post 1154471)
Hi Ofer,

I've tried the lens and I'm quite impressed with the quality of footage and there doesn't appear to be any CA at the 12mm setting. However at 12mm the crop is 43.5mm and isn't anywhere near as wide as the stock lens. I zoomed the stock lens to approximately same position - having the same amount in the frame as the 12mm and there is zip CA. At the widest on the stock lens I agree there is a little CA. IMO I wouldn't by this lens for this purpose.

Hope that helps a bit! If I get time later I'll put up the test shots.

Happy shooting,

Paul

Thanks Paul for taking the time and checking this for me - much appreciated!