DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   need help: Ex and shooting PAL (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/236697-need-help-ex-shooting-pal.html)

William Griffin June 3rd, 2009 04:28 PM

need help: Ex and shooting PAL

I just had a call from a client in NYC and he is a producer for German TV (Pro Seiben)....and his questions to me was " can you shoot PAL on your Ex3"....and I told him "Ya-vol" yes....

But I want to shoot on the SDHC cards, so he can keep them and forward them on to Germany...so the question is:

Can the EX3 output PAL to the SDHC card? and can I play them back on my Sony Vaio laptop using clip browser 2.5, even if its a NTSC powered laptop?

Please help....

thanks.....

Tuy Le June 3rd, 2009 05:34 PM

I don't have EX3. But I just checked the manual - set the video format to PAL.
NTSC should be 60i, 30P, 24P 60P and PAL should be 50i, 25P, 50P.
However you will need to ask them what format do they want before you shoot.

William Griffin June 3rd, 2009 05:47 PM

the format is XDCAM PAL.....I want to know if the SDHC card will record that.

Craig Seeman June 3rd, 2009 05:55 PM

I think we have a few score PAL SDHC users.
The makers of MxR are in Australia after all (PAL country).

CPU shouldn't make a difference. Just make sure to setup your NLE for PAL.

Bob Grant June 3rd, 2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Griffin (Post 1153638)

YES.

The data rate is the same for PAL or NTSC.

Tuy Le June 3rd, 2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Griffin (Post 1153638)

Video Format: 1920x1080/50i or ??? XDCAM PAL is just a general term.
You should try your camera before go out for shooting :-)
As Bob posted, It will record on SDHC card - I was recording PAL on a previous NTSC recorded (and I can watch both on the viewfinder (on my EX1).

William Griffin June 3rd, 2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuy Le (Post 1153658)
Video Format: 1920x1080/50i or ??? XDCAM PAL is just a general term.
You should try your camera before go out for shooting :-)
As Bob posted, It will record on SDHC card - I was recording PAL on a previous NTSC recorded (and I can watch both on the viewfinder (on my EX1).

I know what PAL is and the settings...as I am a little lost on all of your post.

David Issko June 3rd, 2009 08:25 PM

Although you can set the camera's scanning rate to PAL or NTSC areas, the camera does not shoot in standard definition. You could, however, take a live uncompressed SDSDI feed from the camera to an SDSDI recorder such as Convergent Designs upcoming nanoflash. I'm not sure that SDSDI will be available in the initial deliveries though.

You DO NOT, I repeat, you do not want to take a composite or s-video output from the EX3 as the quality is RUBBISH! It is only good for very basic monitoring. I have tried using them.

The EX3 will record in HD only.

Hope this helps

William Griffin June 3rd, 2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Issko (Post 1153695)
Although you can set the camera's scanning rate to PAL or NTSC areas, the camera does not shoot in standard definition. You could, however, take a live uncompressed SDSDI feed from the camera to an SDSDI recorder such as Convergent Designs upcoming nanoflash. I'm not sure that SDSDI will be available in the initial deliveries though.

You DO NOT, I repeat, you do not want to take a composite or s-video output from the EX3 as the quality is RUBBISH! It is only good for very basic monitoring. I have tried using them.

The EX3 will record in HD only.

Hope this helps

I know it records in HD only...that is what the client wants....

William Griffin June 3rd, 2009 10:46 PM

Am I missing something here or is my question misleading...some of the post "are way off" and don't make sense ....please re -read my first post, please.

Bob Jackson June 3rd, 2009 11:09 PM

<Can the EX3 output PAL to the SDHC card? and can I play them back on my Sony Vaio laptop using clip browser 2.5, even if its a NTSC powered laptop?>
The card will be whatever format Pal or NTSC you use.
No such thing as an NTSC powered laptop.
pal or NTSC or secan refer to TV set standards only.

Gerry Curtis June 4th, 2009 01:01 AM

clarification

The EX-3 doesn't record PAL, it only records in HD, you should clarify what the prospective client format-wise. 25/50 frame per second HD frame rates isn't the same as PAL even though those terms are loosely interchanged.

Cheers,
Gerry

Paul Newman June 4th, 2009 01:39 AM

What an irritable selection of reply's:

Yes your EX3 will record to the SDHC card in any selectable camera format.

Set your camera to 1080 50i HQ mode and shoot.

Yes, the files will play on any Laptop, in any country, using Sony Clip Browser.

Send the SDHC cards to Germany, I'm sure they will be very happy.

Paul.

Bob Grant June 4th, 2009 02:24 AM

Some of the replies might be irritable but then again what is a "NTSC powered laptop"?

Regardless, there's an issue not covered in the original question.

Shooting any of the "PAL" frame rates in an NTSC country requires care to avoid flicker from lighting. I think the flicker reduction settings in the EXs get around this but it's much more of a concern than recording to SDHC cards.

Geert van Gemert June 4th, 2009 02:29 AM

I live in The Netherlands and I shoot for German TV-stations. 1080i HQ Pal ofcourse. I make copies and sent the SxS cards with the original footage to them and get them returned. Works great! No problems at all.
Succes William.