EX 1 and external monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Major Player

EX 1 and external monitors

I'll be shopping for an external monitor soon. The Smallhd and Manhattan are on my radar as inexpensive solutions. One thing my research has uncovered is that the EX-1's lcd information does not transfer via the connections used on the less expensive monitors. I'm particularly interested in peaking and zebra

What output/cable combination from the EX1 would I need to use to be able to see peaking and Zebra on an external monitor? I've read that the component out does not send this data.

People do use peaking and zebra on their external monitors, don't they?

Is this feature absent only in the lower-priced monitors; in other words, is it available on higher-end monitors such as the Marshalls?

Thanks
Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Zebra and peaking aren't output from any of the EX1 and EX3's connectors, so you're not to be able to see them no matter how much you spend on a monitor.

Of course you can purchase high-end monitors that have built-in waveform displays (I have a 17" Panasonic that has that ability) but that's not the same thing as viewing the camera's actual zebra signal.

It would be nice to ouput zebra and peaking, but that isn't going to happen.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the definitive explanation Doug.

How do people work around not having zebra/peaking on the monitor?

Isn't it a limitation not having that? I recall from your video that you are an advocate for using both.
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Vortex Media

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the slow reply, I'm on the road this week.
I can only speak for how I do it, but I think I'm fairly typical.

There is no need (or advantage) to using an external monitor for setting exposure, I just use the zebra pattern I see on the EX1 or EX3's LCD screen. I can hit perfect exposure 99% of the time just with Zebra 1. I mean, to set exposure I've got to be standing right next the the camera anyway, right? So it's easy just to use the zebra that is shown on the camera's LCD.

Like I said before, my monitor also offers a waveform display, but personally, I find zebra to be much easier and faster to use than a waveform. If someone else told me that they liked to use the waveform, I'd have no argument with that. Whatever works for them.

For focusing, my Panasonic 17" is good enough that peaking isn't even needed. I would not even have it turned on if I could output it from the camera. With a good professional montor It is very, very easy to see whether the camera is focused or not.

The bottom line is that for focusing and setting exposure, a large external monitor doesn't offer a lot of advantages. The advantages you get from a good, calibrated external montor are for judging color, contrast, framing . .. and it's just a hell of a lot more comfortable to use. I have my Panasonic mounted on a c-stand next to the camera and I can raise it, lower it, spin it around, etc. very easily. I love having a monitor in the studio and for interviews. For outdoor b-roll or hand-held shooting, I'm perfectly happy just using the camera's monitor.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I completely agree with Doug's comments. Peaking is there to compensate for the small size of the viewfinder and simply isn't needed with a good sized, full HD monitor.
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #6
Trustee

Marshal is about to release the first OLED portable monitor. (check out their website under the "New at NAB" listings on their home page) I saw this monitor side-by-side with their other monitors and it's beautiful. Kind of like looking at an LCD next to a Pioneer Plasma. The blacks are MUCH better with the OLED.

Plus, Marshal has had peaking and exposure adjustments in some of their monitors for about 6 months now. Plus, they have "one-to-one" for critical focus. If you want the HD-SDI version (they call it 3G) then you'll need to spend a little money. I think it's going to sell for around $2500. But that's the monitor we're looking to purchase as soon as it comes out.

i would like to purchase a monitor with a built-in waveform/vector scope, but they are just out of our price range.
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank you gentlemen for your assistance!
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

With the size and resolution of my SmallHD, I don't miss peaking at all. But, like Doug mentioned, it's there on the camera's LCD, if and when I want the second opinion.
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister View Post
With the size and resolution of my SmallHD, I don't miss peaking at all. But, like Doug mentioned, it's there on the camera's LCD, if and when I want the second opinion.
Word! SmallHD rules - the OP should definitely consider them for his EX1!
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Meeks View Post
Word! SmallHD rules - the OP should definitely consider them for his EX1!
Yes,I am Trevor, that's what prompted me to ask me questions. Unfortunately they don't seem to be selling them through the website. It looks like they haven't opened general sales since the pre-order period closed. One of the frustrating things I've found with smaller independent companies in this industry is you can't be quite sure when your order will turn up due to manufacturing delays etc.
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
Yes,I am Trevor, that's what prompted me to ask me questions. Unfortunately they don't seem to be selling them through the website. It looks like they haven't opened general sales since the pre-order period closed. One of the frustrating things I've found with smaller independent companies in this industry is you can't be quite sure when your order will turn up due to manufacturing delays etc.
they're slated to open the general store this month. you can contact dale and try to get specifics if you'd like. I assure you, it's worth the wait! They're coming VERY soon.
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds