DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   MXO 2 or something else - suggestions please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/237107-mxo-2-something-else-suggestions-please.html)

Denis OKeefe June 10th, 2009 09:38 AM

MXO 2 or something else - suggestions please

On occasion I need to send an SD composite feed from the EX cameras so I was about to buy a small converter and have some suggestions from this forum which to look at.
I've been looking at the Matrox MXO 2 or the AJA IO to bring various formats into my Mac laptop for editing and to output to various formats.
Does it make sense to spend the extra money on the Matrox instead of a cheaper SDI-composite converter since it can be used for many more tasks?
Will the Matrox operate as a stand alone converter in the field without the laptop attached ( for SDI-composite feeds)?
I have a current macbook pro so I'm good for a couple years use but will I get stuck connecting the Matrox to the laptop when there are no more expresscard ports if my current laptop goes toes up?
Suggestions will be appreciated.

Olof Ekbergh June 10th, 2009 12:32 PM

The EX3 (and EX1 I believe) has composite S and component out, it will down convert on output.

Are you talking about feeding it into a MBP? Then the cheapest way may be to get an old AJA IOla, I have one and I use it to run scopes (Scopebox) on location. I bet you can find one cheap on Ebay.

Denis OKeefe June 10th, 2009 02:22 PM

Once in a while I have to feed NTSC and don't trust the little plugs and wires. It is a shame they monitor out is so crappy, it would save me some money. I've been about to buy an SDI-composite downconverter but keep putting it off. NTSC has to go away sometime, just not soon enough.
I figured the Matrox could be used as a stand alone convert but it turns out it does need to be hooked to a computer so I'm back to looking at two devices I guess.

Olof Ekbergh June 11th, 2009 07:14 AM

I am a little confused. I have an EX3 and it has a BNC monitor out.

Is it the audio you are concerned with?

Denis OKeefe June 11th, 2009 07:46 AM

Yes, the EX3 has a monitor out but the picture quality is terrible. The small plug and wires coming out of the composite jack are an accident waiting to happen, so I don't care to use them either.
I've used the EX cameras on liveshots and to feed video; sending HDSDI or SDI is perfect, absolutely the way to go. Once in a while I'll encounter a facility or truck that can't take SDI in any form and I'm stuck with composite, but don't care to trust the existing connections so I want an SDI-composite converter.
My hope was to kill two birds with one big check, so to speak, but the MXO2 can't be used as a stand alone adapter. I've already had some excellent suggestions for small converters, I'll get one of them and keep the Matrox on my shopping list for the near future.

Mitchell Lewis June 12th, 2009 07:56 AM

Black Magic just released a bunch of new mini converters. How about going from SDI to HDMI? Would that help?

AJA also makes a bunch of mini converters, even more than Black Magic. Of course they also make the Io HD and now the new mini Io HD.

Lots of options here. Unfortunately, none of them are battery powered that I know of. (if I'm wrong about that statement, please let me know) :)

Bill Ravens June 12th, 2009 08:03 AM

I've had my eye on an AJA IO Express ever since it was announced at NAB. Unlike the MXO2 mini, the IO Express has HD-SDI as well as HDMI I/O. It works on 12vDC and has an optional ExpressCard for laptop interface. The only thing I would want from the IO Express is native encoding to Cineform DI.

Dennis Dillon June 12th, 2009 09:21 AM

Dennis,
I have had an AJA D10CE that converts SDI SD to Composite and Component out. It runs on an AC 110/ 5v out

Dennis Dillon June 12th, 2009 09:23 AM

Dennis,
Correction. I still have it.

Dennis Dillon June 12th, 2009 09:26 AM

Dennis, Correction. I still have it.

Denis OKeefe June 12th, 2009 03:53 PM

Hello Dennis! I was hoping one bigger box would do two or three jobs - composite 4x3 HAS to go away soon (doesn't it?).
Guess I'll get a mini converter to keep in the bag, the issue has come up 3 or 4 times now. I have an old and real expensive hdsdi to component Miranda adapter sitting on the shelf, wish it had composite.
Then again, maybe I should chuck the cameras and put my money into a big sailboat.

Andrew Stone June 15th, 2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 1157593)
I've had my eye on an AJA IO Express ever since it was announced at NAB. Unlike the MXO2 mini, the IO Express has HD-SDI as well as HDMI I/O. It works on 12vDC and has an optional ExpressCard for laptop interface.

Bill thanks for mentioning this. Completely missed this one. I've been gloaming over the Aja's "Ki Pro" but here is a solution that offers a good many of the features of the Ki Pro but at a fraction of the price.