ex3 blues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 10th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ex3 blues

Finally laid my hands on my new ex3. Got home excited. set it up. no focus - manual or auto. Powered down. restarted. Now I could adjust focus but servo would only zoom out not in. Powered down. Zoom working but focus all over the show. Back focused. Focus and zoom out - focus gone except for one point on zoom out. Likewise on zoom in. Power down. No zoom no focus. I have spent £7000 on a lemon.
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Trustee

Take it back and get a different one. Do not let them fix it and give it back to you. If it doesn't work out of the box you are entitled to an exchange but you have to deal with it correctly and right away
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Agreed. Get it exchanged ASAP.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Major Player

My first EX1 shipped with a broken viewfinder. The shop I bought it from asked if I had registered it online yet, and I said no, and they were relieved because apparently it's easier to get a new one exchanged if you haven't done any paperwork and/or registered the serial number, otherwise they usually try and 'fix' it.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Sony is so embattled with its $1bn+ loss that it doesn't know night from day--up from down. Its customer service/focus is non-existent because it has laid off or fired the staff that might have provided you with working EX3. Your situation is truly dreadful in the most unimaginable possibilities. Demand nothing less than a fully functional EX3 or your money back! Be prepared to walk away with your money back. There is no shame in calling a lemon a lemon.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I would have open up and test the basic things like power on, zoom in & out, focusing, recording to SXS, plakback before paying the shop. Don't want to bring home a lemon and get scolding by wife.
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

John, how come I didn't notice you leering over my wife's shoulder? And yes, I can't believe I actually walked out of the dealer not having checked THAT camera. I had spent hours with their demo camera weeks ago.
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #8
Inner Circle

As it's an EX3 you might want to make sure there isn't anything disrupting the connection between the lens and the camera body, such as a bit of dirt or fluff. This would give the kind of behavior you are describing.
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #9
Trustee

David, did you get the camera from the main dealer local to you ?, if it's the shop i'm thinking of (begins with P) then i'm sure you'll get an exchange without too much fuss.
Me and a few of my colleagues shop there and they have a good reputation.

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Kellett; June 11th, 2009 at 02:58 AM. Reason: .
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Paul, spot on and I am hoping my experience improves, after all, as you say, reputation counts for a lot.
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:23 AM   #11
Trustee

You should be ok with that shop.
Out of interest what do you shoot ? Weddings ? Nature ? Corporate stuff ?

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Kellett; June 11th, 2009 at 03:24 AM. Reason: .
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Nothing as profitable as that. I'm a long time indie doc maker. In pre-production at present on a Bovines vs Badgers TB doc. Last doc, Filmmaker Profile: David Herman, FAIR PLAY | ITVS Beyond the Box Blog
Old June 11th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Corporate filmmaking profitable!!!! I'm obviously not charging enough! ;-) Good luck with exchanging what looks like a dud EX3.
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Got my "new" exchanged ex3 today. No issues so far. A thing of beauty. With the DM shoulder support and my old tiffen steadistick, I handheld for a couple of hours today with no, wrist, arm or back fatigue. The viewfinder is a mighty blessing. This old codger is a happy bunny.
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #15
Regular Crew

problem is they shouldn't be selling these things to pig farmers in the first place
Andy Schocken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds