DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Getting XDCAM EX3 Footage into Final Cut??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/237150-getting-xdcam-ex3-footage-into-final-cut.html)

Shawn Dooling June 10th, 2009 06:15 PM

Getting XDCAM EX3 Footage into Final Cut???

First time importer..... i'm in hell......lol

i copied the sxs card (bav) through clip browser into a new folder on my drive.

now, how do i get FCP 6 to recognize those files so i can get editing on my timeline???

i tried importing the mp4 files into fcp but they wont import......

any suggestions???? do the files need to be wrapped before fcp will recognize them???

any help would be very much appreciated

thanks in advance.....

Shawn

Ron Wilk June 10th, 2009 06:42 PM

Ex3

If you haven't already done so, or if it did not come with your camera, download the Sony XD Transfer software from the sony web site. It should convert the clips to .mov's.

Alternatively, there is software available that allegedly eliminates the need for this step and loads a plugin into FCP (there are several posts on this forum that provide a link to the software developer's site ... I am about to go there and place an order myself).

Shawn Dooling June 10th, 2009 07:09 PM

Ron thx for the info... by the way i'm on a mac tower.....

i have loaded the clip broweser software 2.5

there is also a "Log and Transfer Utility for MAC Version 1.00"
SONY XDCAM EX

is that what you mean XD Transfer software????

if not i don't see what you mean????

thx

Alister Chapman June 11th, 2009 02:48 AM

The Sony Log and Transfer Utility is a plugin that allows you to use the FCP log and transfer function to import EX MP4's into FCP.

The better tool IMHO is the Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool. This installs as a stand-alone application that is launched from FCP by going "File" "Import" "Sony XDCAM". The tool will open any cards it finds and give thumbnails of all the clips. You can also use it to search any metadata on the cards, plus it creates a database of your footage.

You select the clips you want and then click import. It will re-wrap the MP4's as .movs and place them in your projects bin.

The other alternative is to get the Calibrated-Q EX plugin. This allows you to work directly with the native MP4 files, you don't even need to copy the files of the SxS cards if you don't want to.

Matt Davis June 11th, 2009 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Dooling (Post 1156933)
First time importer...any help would be very much appreciated

Having tried to write this up, it's probably easier to demonstrate it...

Batch naming clips in XDCAM Transfer on Vimeo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1157049)
The better tool IMHO is the Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool.

I'll Second that. Calibrated-Q looks interesting! (OT: Did you ever publish your slides from the XDCAM day earlier this year?)

Shawn Dooling June 11th, 2009 10:04 AM

Ok thx Guys, the XDCAM Transfer Tool did the trick.

Thanks for the help......appreciate it very much

Alister Chapman June 11th, 2009 02:17 PM

The slides are here:

PowerPoint Presentation - Sony XDCAM EX