E-films announces the HDR Hard Disk Recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

E-films announces the HDR Hard Disk Recorder

Hi All,

Please find attached our announcement on the release of what we have dubbed the HDR, the Hard Disk Recorder card.

I had planned to make the announcement last Monday of the un-powered version. But we have been researching and testing and have come up with a solution which can draw the power necessary for the HDD or SSD directly from the camera. And because we were so close to perfecting the solution we decided to hold back on announcing anything until we knew if we could release in this round or not.

We're in production right now, and will be accepting orders from 29 June 2009, with a shipping date of 6 July 2009.

As you can imagine we're really excited about this product release, and have put a tremendous amount of time into getting it right.

And we have also been working on two other products which we think will revolutionise data flows for EX users.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and support.

BTW the artwork has changed for the product in the PDF, I just used some MxR stickers as a place holder.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Efilms HDR.pdf (94.9 KB, 572 views)

Last edited by Ross Herewini; June 17th, 2009 at 08:20 AM.
Ross Herewini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Brilliant, Ross -- well worth waiting for.

Can you give us any info on suitable SSDs etc? What did you test with?

Also, how does the cable affect the slot cover when working in unpleasant environments?

The non-techies among us (me) might like an option to buy a whole set-up in one go. Do you have any plans to supply “kits” including power, drive etc?

Sorry for so many questions!
Paul Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Contributor

Here is the link to the EX-V adapter EX-V
Ross mentioned in the press release. The adapter uses BP-U60/U30 batteries to put out regulated 5V for powering up to two HDs or SSDs.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Good-on-ya, Ross.

I read the news release 3 times and I still don't "get" the power options. A few photos showing it connected to the various power sources would be so nice for those of us who are "visual" (as in most of us).
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Dolgin View Post
Here is the link to the EX-V adapter EX-V
Ross mentioned in the press release. The adapter uses BP-U60/U30 batteries to put out regulated 5V for powering up to two HDs or SSDs.
Alex - the link below the EX-V-5V photo is to the EX-V adapter ($34.95 or $39 depending on where you are on the website) - is that the same as the EX-V-5V adapter?

EDIT: Oops - I went digging further and saw that the 5V is an option for an add'l $59- $65. Never mind.

Last edited by Ronn Kilby; June 16th, 2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Oops
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Contributor

Yes Ronn, the base EX-V adapter is a plate with a cable attached, no electronics. The 5V version of it has a high efficiency 5V (up to 3A) voltage regulator inside.
HTH
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Happy days

would love to see image of the enclosure and the system mounted on an Ex1 with battery power etc.

Peter
Peter Mee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Major Player

A major breakthrough, Ross. Just to clarify: even though you mention ac powering, this will power the drive and the camera off the battery alone?
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #9
Major Player

And what kind or make of hard drives are you talking about using?
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #10
Major Player

As the mini usb plug would stick out of the card adapter, and therefore out of the side of the camera, I wonder if it latches into the card? - I'm concerned about accidentally losing the data feed as neither the card nor cable are very securely installed whilst the door on the camera is open.

I think the permanantly cabled version looks most secure.

Paul
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I'm hoping that Ross will sell just the ..."the un-powered HDR product, one with a removable Mini-USB cable, (HDR-U)" adapter card so I can use my own arrangement for power & SSD.

Ross, do you have a price for your HDR-U adapter card only, the one with the usb socket (plug in my own usb cable, power, etc.)?

This will be a bit easier than modifying a generic adapter card.

Evan
Attached Images

Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #12
Trustee

Thank you Ross!

I'm looking forward to it.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shapiro View Post
Brilliant, Ross -- well worth waiting for.

Can you give us any info on suitable SSDs etc? What did you test with?

Also, how does the cable affect the slot cover when working in unpleasant environments?

The non-techies among us (me) might like an option to buy a whole set-up in one go. Do you have any plans to supply “kits” including power, drive etc?

Sorry for so many questions!
Hi Paul,

We have been testing a number of SSD's and HDD's, and we get closer to full release I'll post a list of the ones we think offer the best performance. I can tell you price and performance are not linked in what we have worked with so far.

We are working next week, on a cover which surrounds the Mini-USB plug, which will protect the camera, but will only be designed for Slot B in the EX1. In the EX3 no problem.

We thought about the idea of having components that users could select which parts they wanted to buy, but everytime we bought a new enclosure or a new cable, we'd end up with performance problems, so decided, if we were going to end up supporting the whole product, we may as well design and supply the whole product.

So what we have gone for is high quality shielding on the PCB in the HDR, high quality cabling, and high quality PCB in the enclosure.

These aren't corner computer store components, they are all designed with one thing in mind, getting data reliably from the EX1 to the hard drive.

The only question in our minds was the HDD itself. We thought that our customers woudl prefer to source that locally, so if there are any warranty issue they can sort them out with their supplier.

We also know some users won't want to even add the hard drive, that's ok we'll supply one, and fit it for a small fee.
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #14
Trustee

Thanks Ross,
would love to have one,
too bad no chance for dual recording, slot A - MxR . slot B - HDR,
would be awesome,
thanks again.
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
Good-on-ya, Ross.

I read the news release 3 times and I still don't "get" the power options. A few photos showing it connected to the various power sources would be so nice for those of us who are "visual" (as in most of us).
Hi Ronn,

We were trying to give users as many options as possible,

1) Power from an external source only, eg our power pack or Alex Dolgin's.

2) Power from camera.

3) Power from external source and camera.

But we only managed to confuse everybody. Sorry about that.

So what we thought we'd do is fall back to the externally powered version for now. Spend some more time getting feedback from our customers on how they want a powered version to work, and then release that at a later date.

One suggestion is to have a switch where the user could turn off power from the HDR if they wanted to, and run on external power, run on both, or power solely from the camera.

Another is to have an internally mounted "top up" battery, which supplies the difference in power between the HDD requirements and the camera's output.

That's just a couple of thoughts that have been on the white-board for a while...

What do you think?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds