SxS cards have less capactiy after each shoot - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 20th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #31
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
What's not to like?
Does it allow you to create subclips?

Can I see thumbnails?

Can I playback clips?

Does is show all the same metadata as XDCAM Transfer?

Does it automatically gather all the clips from the various sub-folders within the BPAV folder on the card and put them all in one place (of my choosing) on the destination hard drive?

Does it allow re-naming of clips during the transfer?

Will the imported MP4 files show up and play within Adobe Bridge? Bridge compatibility is mandatory for my workflow.

Will the imported MP4 files run within QuickTime player?

I have to have two backups of everything I shoot, and it doesn't matter to me if one copy is an MP4 and one copy is an MOV. So, skipping XDCAM Transfer and having two MP4 backups would save me no space at all. Maybe a little importing time, but that doesn't matter to me.
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Will the imported MP4 files show up and play within Adobe Bridge? Bridge compatibility is mandatory for my workflow. .
How are you using Bridge, Doug? Is that for file organization?

Quote:
I have to have two backups of everything I shoot, and it doesn't matter to me if one copy is an MP4 and one copy is an MOV. So, skipping XDCAM Transfer and having two MP4 backups would save me no space at all.
Can you assign the drive where the mov's are stored as they're created?
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Does it allow you to create subclips?
Yes in FCP. You use File Import. It's a plugin, not a program.

Quote:
Can I see thumbnails?
Yes

Quote:
Can I playback clips?
Yes

Quote:
Does is show all the same metadata as XDCAM Transfer?
Yes

Quote:
Does it automatically gather all the clips from the various sub-folders within the BPAV folder on the card and put them all in one place (of my choosing) on the destination hard drive?
No. It's a plugin. You use File Import. There's no program such as XDCAM Transfer. Import as a file as if it was any other MOV file ready to use.

Quote:
Does it allow re-naming of clips during the transfer?
It's a plugin. Files are simply imported as if they were already MOV.

Quote:
Will the imported MP4 files show up and play within Adobe Bridge? Bridge compatibility is mandatory for my workflow.
Good question but so far it works in every Quicktime based app I've tested with.

Quote:
Will the imported MP4 files run within QuickTime player?
Yes. Plugin works in all Quicktime apps I've tested. I can import the MP4 in Compressor or Telestream Episode and use their TC Burn in feature to make Windows dubs of the clips without having to first wrap to MOV for example.

Quote:
I have to have two backups of everything I shoot, and it doesn't matter to me if one copy is an MP4 and one copy is an MOV. So, skipping XDCAM Transfer and having two MP4 backups would save me no space at all. Maybe a little importing time, but that doesn't matter to me.
I do a lot of short turnaround work. Imagine shooting 2 hour press conference and having to get it out that day. Not having to rewrap to MOV is a major time savings. I have two backups also. One to Optical Disk and another to Hard drive of the BPAV. No need to make a wrap to MOV which would be a third copy for me.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:08 AM   #34
Vortex Media

Craig,

Thanks for the info. It won't fit my workflow, but it looks like a good product for the right person.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:17 AM   #35
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
How are you using Bridge, Doug? Is that for file organization?
Can you assign the drive where the mov's are stored as they're created?
I use Adobe Bridge to organize all my stock footage, graphics, music clips, sfx clips, and other elements that I use on a regular basis while I'm editing. I have a dedicated 1TB drive on my system for those elements, plus other drives that are connected as needed.

Whenever I'm editing, Bridge is open and running. I can browse through the drives and preview clips, etc. from right inside Bridge (but it doesn't recognize MP4 files).

When I find something I want to use in my project, I can just drag and drop the file(s) straight from Bridge and onto my timeline or into a bin.

Without using Bridge, there is no good way to see what a file is before you import it into the FCP project.

To answer your other question, yes, you can control exactly where MOVs are stored when you import them with XDCAM Transfer.
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
I heard that you shouldn't delete clips from your computer.
Why not? I delete the BPAV folder all the time ...
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Deleting Clips with ClipBrowser is fine.

The problem with deleting clips from the computer itself is that apparently computers may place invisible files on the card which may result in an error message when using the card in the camera.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #38
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
Why not? I delete the BPAV folder all the time ...
See the conversation we've been holding here.

Heath
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #39
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Deleting Clips with ClipBrowser is fine.

The problem with deleting clips from the computer itself is that apparently computers may place invisible files on the card which may result in an error message when using the card in the camera.
This is what I was talking about earlier--erasing them manually from your Mac or PC vs. camera or Clip Browser.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds