DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Should I wait 1 more month ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/237789-should-i-wait-1-more-month.html)

Tim Kay June 22nd, 2009 02:35 PM

Should I wait 1 more month ?

So heres the dilemma.

B&H has the EX1 for $6100 plus a $500 ecoupon for SonyStyle.com. This $500 coupon ends this week.

I'm leaving town and don't need the camera for a month and his actors are gone so we both don't need it for July. What to do ?

Do we pull the trigger and get in on this coupon, or will we find just as good of an offer in a month and possibly a lower price ? What has been your experience ? We don't know what to do!?!?

Paul Cascio June 22nd, 2009 06:23 PM

I'd wait. The $500 Gift Card is really of little value. In this economy, and with the success of Panny's HMC150, I'm almost certain you'll see a better deal on the EX1 coming down the pike very quickly.

Jason Davenport June 22nd, 2009 06:36 PM

Yes the 500 eCoupon is practically worthless, about all you can by is 1 shotgun mic, only apply to a few items.

John Doody June 23rd, 2009 09:41 AM

Hold Out

If you don't need it right away, wait. It's not like it's $500 cash back in your pocket. It's just for more Sony stuff, and I'm sure the EX1 price has to come down again soon enough or there will be some other discount campaign. Anyone know anything about an EX5 coming, or am I a bit ahead of reality? I'm hopin they upgrade those to do I-frames like the Pannys instead of the damn HDV-stunning as it may be. Fat chance, I know. But I can dream...

Andrew Stone June 23rd, 2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Doody (Post 1162328)
I'm hopin they upgrade those to do I-frames like the Pannys instead of the damn HDV-stunning as it may be. Fat chance, I know. But I can dream...

The XDCAM EX series is predicated on the use of the XDCAM codec. If you want video without Long GOP compression you need to use the HD-SDI port out the back and pipe it into something like the about to be released AJA Ki Pro.

Tim Kay June 23rd, 2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Doody (Post 1162328)
Anyone know anything about an EX5 coming,

Please, don't give me anymore reasons to procrastinate! I'm only hearing rumors about this. Is one actually in development with a near release date (or any major conventions where they make these annocements ? ) At least with sony, they'll release it close to the date they give, unlike some brands that I won't identify - but do take a name from a color of the spectrum band.

Based on this advice, I'm gonna wait a month before pulling the trigger. At the end of the day it's technology and it will only depreciate. No sense in having my money site ideally (and after yesterdays market downturn I can catch the upswing and makes some money and maybe buy the EX3!)

Michael B. McGee June 24th, 2009 08:27 PM

Hey Andy,
How's life in Zihuatanejo? or is that your real last name because the character's name was actually spelled Dufresne?

Andrew Allsbury June 26th, 2009 05:22 PM

LOL! Nice Shawshank reference!