Cine gamma settings in the EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 24th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I'm largely with Piotr with the exception of using Standard gamma 1 in low light. Std 1 is very noisy and in low key shots the last thing you want in my opinion is a noisy picture.

I would use std 4 with some negative black gamma to achieve a similar look to std1 but without the noise.
Old June 24th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I'm largely with Piotr with the exception of using Standard gamma 1 in low light. Std 1 is very noisy and in low key shots the last thing you want in my opinion is a noisy picture.

I would use std 4 with some negative black gamma to achieve a similar look to std1 but without the noise.
Interesting observation, Alister - I haven't noticed that; will have an eye on the Std1 noise. Of course you're right that (especially with Std curves), you can basically use any single one, and tweak its black gamma / knee to mimic the other ones...

BTW. I use Std1 very sporadically indeed - only when I'm after the very punchy look with crushed shadows; it's usually accompanied by lowered detail settings and detail Frequency and Crispening way up... Perhaps this is the reason I haven't noticed any excessive noise.
Old June 24th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #18
Major Player

I dont leave the Cinegammas when i shoot on my EX1.

Im still using Bills True Color Profiles with a few minor tweaking.

Cine1 for Exterior bright days.
Cine3 for General all round use - it also provides a nice normal saturated look.
Cine4 for lowlight night footage or where ever i really need to stretch the blacks.

All my profiles run -3 gamma and matrix on Hisat.

My matrix settings are all the same settings as Bills TC Profiles.

If im multicam shooting with EX3s i leave everything stock and run with Cine Gammas, Matrix on HiSat and -3 Gamma.

Currently grading a project that has footage shot both with Cine Gamma and Standard Gamma settings from multiple operators.. And judging from how much work i have to do to the Standard Gamma footage im never going to even think twice about only using Cine Gamma again. Standard gamma is just horrible.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
Standard gamma is just horrible.
Matter of taste and depending on the scene being shot, Joe. Technically, there is nothing "horrible" with STD gammas (except for the "abrupt highlights clipping" phenomenon, as discussed here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...-clipping.html

- but this can be easily avoided by setting Knee Auto=OFF).
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #20

Serena..

There's a few mathematical models that fit quite well, not the least of which is a cubic equation, but also, a sigmoidal model, an exponential growth model, a hyperbolic model, and a power model. I'm sure there are many others. At least as far as the one curve I studied, C4.

My point is that no matter what kind of mathematical model you choose, you're predicting, from some sort of linear regression, points that are more than 100% away from the data. In most circles, this is known as extrapolation. I can be fairly confident that most scientists would not put much credence in an extrapolation of more than 10%. Given the number of possible mathematical models available, the uncertainty is high enough to question the validity in the region of interest, near the 90-100% subject brightness intercept.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #21
Trustee

Well put Bill,

mind you I didn't understand a word of what you are talking about.

The key to good photography and video, is to get out and shoot some material, take a look at it and if it looks good then it probably is.
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Well put Bill,

mind you I didn't understand a word of what you are talking about.

The key to good photography and video, is to get out and shoot some material, take a look at it and if it looks good then it probably is.
Bill is 100% right in doubting the value of far extrapolation (as opposed to interpolation, which usually gives reliable results).

Indeed, no extrapolation method (however sophisticated) can guarantee the shape of the unmeasured gamma curve fragment - Sony may as well have implemented some sort of a hard knee there...
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Bill is 100% right
Indeed, no extrapolation method (however sophisticated) can guarantee the shape of the unmeasured gamma curve fragment - Sony may as well have implemented some sort of a hard knee there...
OK, I will take your word for this.

I wonder if Degas talked with Monet about how many hairs they had on their brushes, and if the end result was better with 335 hairs, compared to a brush with 257 hairs.

All very interesting stuff.

I can remember trimming some of my prints for an exhibition, and carefully measuring each print to a fraction of an inch. My father (who was an artist) took the blade and did the whole lot by eye.

The lesson here was to do your creative work by eye, rely on your own judgement. Sure a Cinegamma 1 will give a different look to Cinegamma 4 or 2 or 3, but experience and practice will tell you which one to use for a particular scenario.
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Ha ha, you're right, Vincent.

Both me and Bill are engineers, but as far as I'm concerned, I always judge my video picture (both quality and aesthetic - wise) by eye.
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Serena..

There's a few mathematical models that fit quite well, not the least of which is a cubic equation, but also, a sigmoidal model, an exponential growth model, a hyperbolic model, and a power model. I'm sure there are many others. At least as far as the one curve I studied, C4.

My point is that no matter what kind of mathematical model you choose, you're predicting, from some sort of linear regression, points that are more than 100% away from the data. .
Obviously I didn't try hard enough, limiting myself to the polynomials available in Excel; I was only interesting in creating a nicely drawn line over my measured points and no curve I tried was satisfactory over the whole range. On extrapolation I agree totally with your comments. However I point out, again, that I didn't extrapolate the curves by any means other than measurement.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #26
Trustee

Have to agree with Piotr,
Joe may prefer Cine gammas for many reasons , perhaps all are legitimate but to declare that std gammas are horrible is off the charts to me. i use them all the time with excellent results.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #27
Major Player

The gamma curve options, like all the other camera options, are tools. Understanding the available tools and how and where to use them is essential for good results over the wide range of situations we may encounter. While I use Cine4 as default, there are many situations where the std gammas give far superior rendering. We need the whole tool-box.
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Sony may as well have implemented some sort of a hard knee there...
Piotr, true. That's why it is important to know what is there. Be nice if Sony published the real curves, rather than just the crude representations in the brochure.
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #29

I am left wondering why Sony is so secretive about their gamma curve data.

Serena...in the FWIW category, there is a nice plugin for EXCEL that does a VERY nice job of curve-fitting data. It has a library of algorithms one can apply. It is rather pricey at $795, but, a good tool for engineers and scientists...
http://www.excelcurvefitting.com/XLfit5_new.html
...and they offer a free 30 day trial.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #30
Major Player

I am finding that I don't like the Cinegammas at all because of the nasty looking skin tones they tend to impart. There is nothing wrong with the camera because even the demo DVD Sony distributed for the EX1 that I saw before I bought the camera had those nasty orange / red skin tones. There are some Hollywood movies that have those skin tones as well. To each his own I guess, but for my work the standard gammas look much better to my eyes.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds