Canon 5D video to XDcam EX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 25th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon 5D video to XDcam EX

I tried to encode video from the Canon 5D to XDcam EX 30P with Quicktime pro, then write the files to a card so I could playback via SDI (it is a long and painful tale but it makes a little bit of sense). WHen I drag the files to a bpav folder they just don't show up.
Any ideas of the is possible?
I'm trying to transfer a large number of Canon files to Beta SP for a project half shot on XDcam, half on the Canon. Betacam is what the producer wants, at least for now.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

This makes a little bit of sense? To who, the producer?
Drop clips in Final Cut Pro and get a good video card that can downconvert on output. Maybe a Kona card but there are others.

Drop in to FCP with sequence set to EX codec and render. Then use export to MP4

Easier to show than explain and I apologize in advance for having to point elsewhere for the video.

Final Cut Pro timeline to XDCAM EX MP4

I'd question why the producer wants BetaSP when files don't require decks.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the info Craig. Trying to get producers (and sometimes camera crews) moving forward is like herding cats - this makes sense to someone paying the bills, not to me.
Due to lack of sleep I was thinking of going SDI then dumping to Beta to maintain quality. After additional coffee I woke up, realized quality ain't the happening in the convert from the Canon or XDcam to Beta, so I'm dumping it composite.
Ultimately they'll work off a drive and realize they don't need big decks for big pictures.
Thanks for the link and the dash of reality!
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds