EX3 Pros and Cons - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr View Post
The picture quality in this price range is most important feature of the EX series in my view and the viewfinder sold me on the EX3. I can't carry a monitor on my shoots and I didn't want to put a sock on an EX1 LCD. Everything else that makes up the EX3 is icing on the cake. Some of which I may rarely use but they are nice to have available (genlock etc.)

I would say that the cons stated in this thread are a result of the price - if you don't like the form factor or the plastic body with little switches all you have to do is dig a whole lot deeper into your wallet.

If money was not a concern when buying a camera I would have had a lot of other cameras to choose from. But in this price range I did not believe any other camera (today) can beat the output quality of the EX series or else I would have bought it. I don't have any brand loyalty, I had Panasonic SD cameras before and loved 'em.

So until I get rich, I find it easy to put up with a few things that are less than perfect as long as the output looks great.
Exactly my opinion!
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I forgot about the absence of the pin on the EX mounts. That is definitely a con no doubt. I usually leave it on a zacuto shoulder mount on and off our sachtler. For times when no zacuto, Tigerclaw is just what I have been looking for. Excellent.

What material is it made of? I can't tell if it's plastic or metal from the web page.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #33
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Allen View Post
I forgot about the absence of the pin on the EX mounts. That is definitely a con no doubt. I usually leave it on a zacuto shoulder mount on and off our sachtler. For times when no zacuto, Tigerclaw is just what I have been looking for. Excellent.
What material is it made of? I can't tell if it's plastic or metal from the web page.
The Tiger Claw is made from powder coated steel. You can't break it.
Old July 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM   #34
Regular Crew

My mind is made up...finally after a year of deliberating I've started to accumulate bits and pieces for an EX3. I've just ordered a re-inforcement plate and flat mount for a mic suspension unit. I have a stockists ready for my EX3, Nikon G adaptor, Lens Support System and I'm currently looking at Nikkor lenses (possibly the 80-200 f2.8 to begin with). The tripod/head combo will probably be the Sachtler System 8/100 SB ENG 2 CF. My PC is a good spec and I just upgraded to Vegas Pro 9.

Thanks for all your input folks. I can live with the cons...like some of you said it's IQ that counts at the end of the day.

Doug you may be pleased to know I just ordered a copy of your DVD and Field Guide also.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:55 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer View Post
My mind is made up...finally after a year of deliberating I've started to accumulate bits and pieces for an EX3. I've just ordered a re-inforcement plate and flat mount for a mic suspension unit. I have a stockists ready for my EX3, Nikon G adaptor, Lens Support System and I'm currently looking at Nikkor lenses (possibly the 80-200 f2.8 to begin with). The tripod/head combo will probably be the Sachtler System 8/100 SB ENG 2 CF. My PC is a good spec and I just upgraded to Vegas Pro 9.

Thanks for all your input folks. I can live with the cons...like some of you said it's IQ that counts at the end of the day.

Doug you may be pleased to know I just ordered a copy of your DVD and Field Guide also.
Dave, We seem to be in pretty much the same place. I'm about to order my EX-3, but have been squirrelling away bits and pieces for a while now: Mizar KD2 motorised mount, Warm Cards, Sennheiser ME66, Vortex training etc.

Funny how we get the add-ons before the camera itself.

Out of interest, which lens support system are you looking at? And are you considering a matte box/filters?

I can thoroughly endorse Doug's DVD and Field Guide; thanks to his tutorial, I'll be well-versed in the EX-3 the day it arrives.
Paul Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:08 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shapiro View Post
Dave, We seem to be in pretty much the same place. I'm about to order my EX-3, but have been squirrelling away bits and pieces for a while now: Mizar KD2 motorised mount, Warm Cards, Sennheiser ME66, Vortex training etc.

Funny how we get the add-ons before the camera itself.

Out of interest, which lens support system are you looking at? And are you considering a matte box/filters?

I can thoroughly endorse Doug's DVD and Field Guide; thanks to his tutorial, I'll be well-versed in the EX-3 the day it arrives.

Hi Paul

I'm getting my support system and matte box from these guys in the UK. Filters I will start looking at a bit later....do you have any in mind ?

True Lens Services

I should be receiving Doug's dvd and guide tomorrow...look forward to watching it. I should have my EX3 within the next 2 weeks. It makes sense to start gathering parts up front because some of them are coming from the US and will take a bit of time to get here.
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:34 PM   #37
Major Player

One thing I didn't see on any lists yet: Audio quality

The audio is so good on the EX1/EX3 cameras that sometimes it feels synthetic. The noise floor is dead quality and the frequency spectrum as good as it can get inside a camera at this price range.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter View Post
One thing I didn't see on any lists yet: Audio quality

The audio is so good on the EX1/EX3 cameras that sometimes it feels synthetic. The noise floor is dead quality and the frequency spectrum as good as it can get inside a camera at this price range.
That's good to know...thanks !
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #39
Regular Crew

I it possible to record I frame in EX3 with Nano flash?
Ramji Meena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramji Meena View Post
I it possible to record I frame in EX3 with Nano flash?
You can record I frame onto the Nanoflash from the EX3 upto 220 mb/second, more than enough for anyone!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds