Question on a mishap, today. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 30th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question on a mishap, today.

One one of the last shots of the day my EX shut off during a short take, do to battery. Haven't had that happen yet.
Powered back up, it asked to restored media and would no roll. Put in extra 8 gig, shot last two takes and done. Went to transfer on PC w/ ClipB and would respond do to corrupted clip.
Had to drag and drop to HD and seemed worked fine.
If I had of "restored media" would it have erased and reformatted the card and lost all on card, previous to "rolling/break clip". Or would it just fix or loose the one bad clip.
And will the client's editor have any problem bring it in from HD that I transferred. They use Final Cut.

Also I tried to delete the clip by going into, my computer; SXS card: BPAV: Clip; last bad one; delete.

Have I corrupted the whole card now because I deleted one clip that way.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davenport View Post
If I had of "restored media" would it have erased and reformatted the card and lost all on card, previous to "rolling/break clip". Or would it just fix or loose the one bad clip.
You would have been fine, and maybe not even have lost the bad clip. "Restore media" is just a housekeeping error message that crops up now and then. I think it has more to do with the XML files on the card than the video clips themselves.

I've never heard of anyone having an issue when they let the camera do it. I was a little scared at first, but now it doesn't faze me at all when I see it once a month or so. In fact, I saw it today just as I was about to start showing clips today at a traning session in Boston. No big deal. (knock on wood)
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I still have the card, I can run it through the camera and try the restore thing, but did I screw it up by deleting the one clip in the BPAV order of things.
Old July 1st, 2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davenport View Post
I still have the card, I can run it through the camera and try the restore thing, but did I screw it up by deleting the one clip in the BPAV order of things.
Hard to say, but I doubt it. Let it restore and I think all will be okay.
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Doug.
Old July 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Restore media is an error that occurs because the EX didn't finishing writing the end of a file. I don't know if it's equivalent to Table of Contents on an audio CD burn but that's how I look at it. Next time definitely say yes as it will not reformat your card.

Now, as far as deleting files using Windows Explorer (or the Mac equivalent): DON'T DO IT! That's what Sony's Browser software is for! The only time I'll use explorer is if I'm lazy or in a rush and don't need the CRC double check that XDCam EX Browser gives you. In that case I'll just drag and drop the BPAV folder to wherever.

But going through Sony's own software is a MUCH better idea because it coordinates/creates the proper folder/file structure. And you can do a lot of other things like splitting files, converting to MXF, etc.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I always use the clipB, it just wont show a card with an error. I couldn't see to delete the clip. I just restored early, and it fixed it in 2 seconds. I just thought that restore media error message was considered a death nail message.
All is well, thanks for help.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds