DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 Auto Power Off? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/238264-ex3-auto-power-off.html)

Tyler Smith July 1st, 2009 12:40 AM

EX3 Auto Power Off?

Hi,

I've been using my EX3 for a couple of weeks now.

I was shooting this morning and pulled it out of a petrol bag this afternoon to grab some of the clips off the card.

I was pretty alarmed when I realised how hot the camera was - I had left the power on by mistake.

Is there an auto power off feature that I've missed on this camera, or do I have to be more diligent next time?

Cheers,

Tyler

David C. Williams July 1st, 2009 02:37 AM

No auto off, nor would you normally want one except in your specific case I guess.

Olof Ekbergh July 1st, 2009 07:41 AM

I believe there is an overheating shutdown. Check with Sony to be sure.

I have left the cam on a few times in its bag on the way home after a long day, you are not the only one. And it does feel hot but not as hot as a Betacam, I have done that as well. I have had no problems afterwards (knock on wood).

Bob Grant July 1st, 2009 07:52 AM

I always take the battery off the camera before putting it in it's case. If you've got a hard case the camera can get very hot if left on. I'm certain there's an over temperature shutdown however we had a Z1 'shutdown' by popping a fuse. It wasn't that expensive to get repaired but still...

Olof Ekbergh July 1st, 2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 1165696)
I always take the battery off the camera before putting it in it's case. If you've got a hard case the camera can get very hot if left on. I'm certain there's an over temperature shutdown however we had a Z1 'shutdown' by popping a fuse. It wasn't that expensive to get repaired but still...

Maybe that is good practice when shipping, but we use Portabrace quickdraw bags or the smuggler when shooting and the camera goes in and out of that bag between shots sometimes 20 or more x a day. We also often use IDX batteries on an extended VF plate.

I would not worry too much about it in this type of bag, lots of air. Just try to remember. But if you are using a hard case with tight foam, I would make doubly sure or remove batteries before locking up.

Andy Wilkinson July 1st, 2009 10:38 AM

Hi Tyler,

yep, I know the feeling... having experienced the exact same issue as you (leaving it on accidentally, then discovering it in it's bag very hot) when I first got my EX3 last year. The Camera/Off/Media switch is just way to small and fiddly compared to older Sony Cams I've owned/used. Now I pedantically check it's REALLY OFF (!) before putting it in the bag every time. I keep meaning to fill the groove in the switch with white paint to make it easier to see it's true position - another job on my long "to do" list I think!

Andrew Stone July 1st, 2009 10:56 AM

Certainly taking off (or disconnecting in the event of an A/B or IDX type of battery) at the end of a shoot is good practice. I am confident that is what Bob meant. Taking off the battery between scenes in a shoot would be a bit too much IMO although if it is over a lunch break or if the camera is unattended for an extended period of time during I will often remove the battery.

Tyler Smith July 1st, 2009 06:27 PM

Cheers

I guess I'll be taking the battery after shoots, and I think I'll give Andy's white paint idea a run too.

Thanks for the advice.