My version of Shoulder Mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Sponsor: Westside AV

My version of Shoulder Mount

This is one of the configurations I have for my EX3.

I use a VF plate with 3 modifications.

1. A removable (2 allenhead screws) aluminum sideplate for chordless mic.

2. A removable (2 allenhead screws) aluminum, mahogany and Foam IDX battery plate with D power-tap and cable for EX3 power.

3. I tapped front of VF plate to accept 2 allenhead screws that hold my Cavision Rails (modified) and Cavision very light bellows mattebox with dual 4x4 filterholders.

You certanly don't need the mattebox running and gunning but it is really nice for some shoulder shooting.

I even have a (monitor on top) Q-vision teleprompter that works with this setup either on sticks or shoulder/stedicam.

Yes I use this on my stedicam I got for my DSR500. It is an old model no longer made but I belive the current equivilant is the Pilot.

The whole rig snaps on to a Sony VCT-14 plate.

It is quick to modify, fits in my runbag set up, and feels like a Betacam while shooting, except the shots are way better.
Attached Thumbnails
My version of Shoulder Mount-oex3-1.jpg   My version of Shoulder Mount-oex3-2.jpg  

My version of Shoulder Mount-oex3-3.jpg   My version of Shoulder Mount-oex3-4.jpg  

Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That looks quite impressive Olof
Gavin Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Does look great! Well done!
It does look a bit front heavy though as I'd imagine the centre of gravity is well forward.

Evan
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Meades View Post
Does look great! Well done!
It does look a bit front heavy though as I'd imagine the centre of gravity is well forward.

Evan
Actually the balance is very good. The look of the foam Pad below the battery is deceiving.

The center of gravity is in front of the batteries, and the mattebox makes it look more front loaded too. The mattebox is very light, and I use this setup a lot w/o light and mattebox. Then it looks more balanced.

IDX batteries are very nice you can actually stack as many as you want, the V mount locks them together. Though you will only get power from the first 2. I have 4 of them, 2 balances the cam just right for me, feels like a very light betacam. I dont think it needs more weight in the back, I have tried it and I like this loading.

What is really nice is you don't need to put any weight on your left hand (it does not twist). I am very used to shooting with a full size cam and this really gives the EX3 that feel, you know how you support your right elbow against your ribs, and the mass makes the rig steady. The biggest problem for me handholding small cams is the twisting and lack of mass.

If I get a bigger lens I will probably make a new base (sled) complete with rails and shoulder pad.

I am so used to a Sony VCT-14 plate system, that I find anything else really cumbersome. It snaps into place instantly and is always balanced the way you took the cam off, unlike sliding dowtails, you only need one hand the other can hold a mike or whatever.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
This is one of the configurations I have for my EX3.

It is quick to modify, fits in my runbag set up, and feels like a Betacam while shooting, except the shots are way better.
Wow, does it fly too? :-)
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Wow, does it fly too? :-)
Yes on a stedicam.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds