Shooter is PC | Editor is Mac - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
the macdrive people said I could not do clipbrowser on a pc, moving clips to a mac formatted hard drive. Were they wrong? Overly cautious? I repeated the question back to them to make sure I wasn't misstating the issue and they were insistant macdrive and clipbrowser are incompatible.
After not being able to transfer using Clipbrowser, that's what they told me, too. Maybe it's because I was going Firewire, not usb.
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #17
Major Player

I think you are making this into a bigger problem than it is. The filestructure of the BPAV-folders has nothing to do with wheather you are on a Mac or a PC. The only problem you could run into is the Mac not being able to read the file system of the drive. FAT32 would be the solution to this. The EX1/3-files don't ever exceed the 4 GB limit, even after combining clips. An NTFS-drive should also work. As long as you do not need to write to the drive the Mac should be able to read NTFS-drives.
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
The EX1/3-files don't ever exceed the 4 GB limit, even after combining clips.
Not true; when you record for long enough withoout pausing, a lot of <4GB files will be created on the card; after copying to the same BPAV directory on an NTFS drive, a single clip of a size much exceeding 4 GB can be created.

For instance, my over 1 hour live music shots usually result in >20 GB clips.
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
An NTFS-drive should also work. As long as you do not need to write to the drive the Mac should be able to read NTFS-drives.
Not necessarily true. And hasn't been true in my dealings with Mac folks. However, I did find this:

Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - NTFS-3G

So it looks like a solveable problem. I wish I had known about this utility before I spent money on Macdrive, but Macdrive still works nicely, and is convenient for me to have.
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #20
Major Player

I decided to try MacDrive again, and this time it worked. Don't know if it's because I bypassed the express card/firewire adapter and used usb instead, or whether it's because it was MacDrive 8 vs. 7, but the pc laptop is indeed seeing the mac formatted drive and clip browser is copying the bpav folder.

It's not playing the clips, but I think that's a function of the netbook capabilities (Lenovo S12).
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Not true; when you record for long enough withoout pausing, a lot of <4GB files will be created on the card; after copying to the same BPAV directory on an NTFS drive, a single clip of a size much exceeding 4 GB can be created.

For instance, my over 1 hour live music shots usually result in >20 GB clips.
I should really test this before posting again but I guess I have to live with the shame if I turn out to be wrong anyway...

Piotr - you may very well end up with "clips" that are larger than 4 GB when browsing in Clip Browser or after importing into your editing software or exporting as MXF. BUT as long as the files are native EX-files in a BPAV-folder the FILES should not exceed 4 GB. The metadata informs the system of which 4 GB files should be combined to play back your 20 GB Clip.
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Not necessarily true. And hasn't been true in my dealings with Mac folks.
Of course this is not true of all versions of Mac OS. I don't know when the Mac became able to read NTFS but I have not had a problem moving a NTFS-disk back and forth to a friends Mac and he is running some flavour of OS X.
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
I should really test this before posting again but I guess I have to live with the shame if I turn out to be wrong anyway...

Piotr - you may very well end up with "clips" that are larger than 4 GB when browsing in Clip Browser or after importing into your editing software or exporting as MXF. BUT as long as the files are native EX-files in a BPAV-folder the FILES should not exceed 4 GB. The metadata informs the system of which 4 GB files should be combined to play back your 20 GB Clip.
Ola,

This is an academic discussion; of course on FAT32 media (like the SxS), you cannot exceed the single file size limit.

I was talking about results of combining folders on your non-FAT32 HDD using ClipBrowser (same occurs when you just copy the same take's chunks into the same directory; of course using ClipBrowser, not your OS's tools).

If I mentioned it, is because to me it's important to have each take in a single (however big) file. Editing music videos, I need to cut/split the clips where the music requires it; also I'm usually edit in multi-camera mode. You can realize how many split/cut points I'm getting; to keep things tidy I prefer that there's no additional splits due to any files size limits...

But re: the original thread subject, you're of course right; as long as any single file size is within the FAT32 limits, there should be no probs exchanging them between the two platforms (and using the right tools).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds