DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Too cheap (?) EX3 on Ebay (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/238780-too-cheap-ex3-ebay.html)

Gabor Heeres July 10th, 2009 04:34 AM

Too cheap (?) EX3 on Ebay

Very cheap EX3 on Ebay

What do you guys think of this? An almost new EX3 on Ebay which the seller is willing to trade for only $2500 including to SXS cards. For me this is a too good to be true offer but the seller has a 100% 269 points feedback score. From europe I just don't dare to give it a try. But maybe there somebody more nearby? Probably the seller received it as an inheritance and doesn't know what's worth it.

Chris Amana July 10th, 2009 05:23 AM

Hi mate.

I just sent him an email 9.10 PM Australian time and he replied to me within 5 minutes.

Told me he's in debt to his bank and needs money fast.

I asked for his address and telephone number so I may ask him a few questions about the camera.

He replied with.......

"I'm really sorry for this situation, but i've been through a neck surgery last week. Speaking is still a problem for me, so i hope we can talk over e-mail. Sorry for this inconvenience, probably you understand me.

Sounds very fishy

Piotr Wozniacki July 10th, 2009 05:44 AM

This does sound fishy indeed.

On the other hand, I've been through 2 neck spine surgeries myself, so if the guy is saying the truth, I understand his problem with speaking...

Chris Amana July 10th, 2009 05:49 AM

I have since also asked if relatives of mine in the US can inspect the camera at his earliest convenience to which he replied ....

Don't worry, my auction is 7 days money back guarantee (if it's not like we
agreed, or broken you will receive the money back). I can ship in 2-3
calendar days. Please give me your info so I can contact eBay to start the
transaction. Thanks, Joe.

what do you think guys ? *cough*

Juergen Hansen July 10th, 2009 06:04 AM

Stolen?!? Have heard about similar excuses earlier on eBay. I wouldn't give it a try.

Alan Kennedy July 10th, 2009 06:16 AM

Another thing to know is how does he want to get paid? A friend of mine did something rahter foolish a couple years back when buying a camera a sent money via Western Union to some guy in Italy. The $2500 camera was never received and the guy who also had good E-bay feedback disappeared.

Apparently people open accounts and then sell small items to get good feedback. Then they use the account for a big item such as this. Don't know if that is true, but that is what E-bay told him. Doesn't sound like that in this case though if he has that many transations.

You could also ask him for the serial number. If it was stolen I doubt he would send it.

Or just go with the old saying - If it sounds too good to be true...

Alan

Gabor Heeres July 10th, 2009 06:38 AM

The advertisement says the guy accepts PayPal and the full price should be covered by ebay's buyer protection. Who is willing to give it a try?

Chris Hurd July 10th, 2009 07:05 AM

"This listing (300329001013) has been removed, or this item is not available."

Gabor Heeres July 10th, 2009 07:08 AM

Great, issue solved. I don't think there will be anybody who now has an almost new EX3 in hands for 2500 bucks....

Topic can be locked or either deleted! ;)

Chris Amana July 10th, 2009 07:19 AM

i cheekily sent him another email asking for a discount.

He asked me to send him my best offer lol

jesus some ppl never give up

Boyd Ostroff July 10th, 2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Kennedy (Post 1169749)
Or just go with the old saying - If it sounds too good to be true...

That is definitely the way to go. Stop wasting your time chasing the elusive "free lunch"....

Bob Grant July 10th, 2009 07:40 AM

There's been ex demo EX1s on offer at around half what I paid for mine and this is from an authorised Sony dealer. Times are tough especially for businesses holding a lot of inventory. If you want a camera, have the money and are prepared to do a bit of arm twisting there's good deals to be had without getting involved in dodgy propositions on eBay.

Chris Amana July 10th, 2009 07:58 AM

well there's absolutely no doubt in my mind now.

Just offered him 4k US C.O.D and he declined saying the bank wont give him more than 2 days so needs a fast transaction.

Jon Braeley July 10th, 2009 08:31 AM

I know it's hard to pass up on the deals, but they are always a scam. The scammer is an idiot for going too low. If they put this up at $4k min, it sounds plausible at least. Cameras and laptops are the biggest scam articles.
You can contact ebay or paypal (same company) and check if they will hold payment in escrow for one month or until you receive the goods and give the thumbs up.
If its thumbs down and a scam, you get your money back. This is common method now as a safeguard. I sold a Mac Pro and had to wait two weeks until my customer gave the OK to release payment.

John Dewey July 10th, 2009 09:14 AM

Highjacked account

This is a scam. The person who is supposedly selling the EX3 has highjacked the account of a legitimate Ebay user and is using their identity. This leads innocent people to believe they are buying from a seller with good feedback, etc. When the victim sends the money no EX3 will ever be sent.