Red halo on tele at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Red halo on tele

I've got this strange red halo once I'm using telephoto. Have you noticed anything like that on your lens? How to avid this or correct in post? See the link below for the sample.
Thank you
Darek

http://www.dive-away.pl/dopobrania/redex1.jpg
Darek Sepiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Major Player

That image contains portions of two frames -- right? The lens does show chromatic aberration at full tele, although I experience it on the edges of the frame and not in the centre region. There isn't much to be done unless your lens is faulty.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, there are portions of two frames. I was shooting with 2 cameras and got the same results. I thought it may be sth with the settings but if you say it's just the characteristic of the lens than I must accept it's not a perfect camera.
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Trustee

I've also experienced pretty bad chromatic aberration at full Tele.
Much as I love my EX-1 it is hobbled by weird problems. Why in the world did Sony give us a lens that stops down to f16 but is unusable from f8. Likewise, why not limit the zoom to a length that works instead of giving us Chromatic aberration at full Tele.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #5
Major Player

You have to credit Fujinon for the lens.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you for your opinions.

I've been looking for a plug in for FCP that may correct this problem but havent found anything.
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Trustee

If you find a plug in let us know. I've never heard of one for chromatic aberration, but who knows.
Serena - Fujinon may have manufactured it, but Sony decided it was good enough to market, so I think the blame lies with Sony. Its hard to believe they wouldn't have seen these problems in testing.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Major Player

In my still photography, I use the CA correction in Photoshop when working on my RAW (.NEF) files. I wish they'd come up with something in the new version of Final Cut.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darek Sepiolo View Post
Thank you for your opinions.

I've been looking for a plug in for FCP that may correct this problem but havent found anything.
Darek, I use Magic Bullet Looks to do CA correction of the EX1-Teleshots. I brings some relief, see attached pics (Image2.jpg on the right hand side is with CA correction. The shot is a bit blurry due to warm air mixing with cold air above the snow...).

Rgds, Eva
Attached Thumbnails
Red halo on tele-image1.jpg   Red halo on tele-image2.jpg  

Eva Sturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I have the same problem on my macro shots, and I solve the problem this way: If you have a Secondery Colourcorrection in your NLE, you can in most cases isolate the CA colour. Often the CA have a colour that stands off the rest of the picture. Mark the CA with the eyedropper, and finetune the mask. Then back off the saturation or change it to the colour you want with Hue, or other colour adjustments.
Secondery Colourcorrection is a powerful tool.
Hope this helps.
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thank you Eva and Arnt. I've been trying to isolate the CA and adjust it with my 3-way CC in FCP and it helps a bit in fact.
Darek Sepiolo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds