Audio out of sync after 23 pulldown applied at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Audio out of sync after 23 pulldown applied

I am trying to capture 24P footage to fcp using a Kona card. I am capturing to a pro rez
29.97 time line and adding a 23 pulldown. The camera is set to 23sf out and hooked up
to sdi output. I have tried setting the camera out to 60i and it works quite well but
when i set the camera output to 23sf the footage looks much smoother, less jittery. The
shutter angle is set to 180 degrees. The problem is that the audio is way out of sync. I
am not sure what is causing this.
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Your workflow of adding telecine to fit the 23.98psf signal into a 59.98i video frame is obviously affecting the video only. You will need to time-shift the audio to sync it with your video frame. Red Giant has plug-ins to mange the audio time shift or you can do it manually with something like Adobe's Soundbooth or Apple's Soundtrack Pro. In my experience, this latter manual approach provides less than stellar audio results.

I also capture video via the EX3 SDI-HD port using BlackMagic's Multibridge device. If the video is destined for a 60i timeline to accommodate either Blu-ray and/or DVD, then I will shoot with the EX frame set 30psf or 59.98i. If the video is destined for Blu-ray only, then I will shoot with the EX frame set to 23.98psf. The key is to plan ahead before shooting and know how your going to purpose the footage. Cheers!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds