Remote for EX3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 174
Remote for EX3

Are there any simple remotes that plug into the back of the EX3 (not the lens), just for starting/stopping record? Preferably fixed to the panhandle.

Thanks
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: All over, USA
Posts: 512
There is a wireless remote control that comes with the camera
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
There is a wireless remote control that comes with the camera
Yes Ed...I did notice :-) but that's not what I had in mind. I want something that fits on the panhandle. I was looking at this but I don't know whether it works on the rear remote connection or only the stock lens connection.

Manfrotto 521EX - RC SONY EX-CLAMP

Last edited by Dave Tyrer; July 16th, 2009 at 09:42 AM.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 174
What are other people using, when 35mm lenses are fitted ?

Last edited by Dave Tyrer; July 17th, 2009 at 06:07 AM.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #5
New Boot
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 16
Sony remote control paint box

Not that this in any way attaches to the pan arm, but it will start/stop the camera and plugs into the rear of the camera.
The same paint box that runs the F900 runs the EX cameras-sorry I do not have the model number.
Check the EX website.
Paul Zwicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zwicker View Post
Not that this in any way attaches to the pan arm, but it will start/stop the camera and plugs into the rear of the camera.
The same paint box that runs the F900 runs the EX cameras-sorry I do not have the model number.
Check the EX website.
Thanks Paul..it really does need to be on the panhandle. I had one of the vendors speaking to Sony today about this...it may be possible they will bring something out in the future.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Beijing
Posts: 665
This is the very question I asked Phil Bloom when the Letus relay was launched, never got an answer. Phil if you are there, how do you trigger the EX-3 when run and gunning with a relay on the EX-3? or are you restricted to just the button on the camera top plate?

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Vortex Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,484
Almost any rear zoom controller you buy for the EX1 (or any camera) will also include a record Start/Stop control, and usually a Return button as well.

Personally, I use the Bebob Zoe with my EX1, but I could'nt say whether it is any better than other brands since I haven't tried the other brands.

Bebob Engineering | ZOE-EX Zoom Controller for Sony | BE-ZOE-EX1
__________________
Vortex Media http://www.vortexmedia.com/
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Beijing
Posts: 665
Doug,

I think you miss the point, when you remove the EX lens and fit a 35mm adapter and relay lens then you are also removing the remote control socket. This leaves the remote socket on the rear of the EX-3 which is non-standard and currently only support a couple of very expensive Sony controllers which are not pan handle types.

There is an adapter from Fujinon Fujinon ACM-21 Lens Mount Adaptor for Sony PMW-EX3 :: HDV, HD Lens Adapters :: Optical Lens Adapters :: Lenses & Optical Lens Adapters :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech that might work but it has glass in it, not ideal for a relay lens setup.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #10
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Doug,

I think you miss the point, when you remove the EX lens and fit a 35mm adapter and relay lens then you are also removing the remote control socket. This leaves the remote socket on the rear of the EX-3 which is non-standard and currently only support a couple of very expensive Sony controllers which are not pan handle types.

There is an adapter from Fujinon Fujinon ACM-21 Lens Mount Adaptor for Sony PMW-EX3 :: HDV, HD Lens Adapters :: Optical Lens Adapters :: Lenses & Optical Lens Adapters :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech that might work but it has glass in it, not ideal for a relay lens setup.

Dan
Thanks Dan..finally someone that understands..lol. I think I'll have to get used to operating the button on the top.

Dave
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #11
Vortex Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Doug,

I think you miss the point, when you remove the EX lens and fit a 35mm adapter and relay lens then you are also removing the remote control socket.

Oops. You're right. I did miss the point. Sorry for not reading the question closer.

The Sony RM-B150 will do what you want it to do but it may not be worth the expense and it may be a challenge to mount it on the pan handle.
Sony | RMB-150A Hand Held Remote Control | RMB150//A | B&H Photo

On both my EX3 and EX1, I have Assign Button #3 permanently programmed for "Record Start/Stop" because it is in a very convenient location that is easy to find with my left hand without looking. My left hand is usually on the lens anyway, so it's a small motion to slide over and hit the button. Unless I'm shooting hand-held, Assign #3 is actually the only record button I ever use.

Using an Assign button might not be the solution you are looking for, but it's better than using the button on top of the handle.
__________________
Vortex Media http://www.vortexmedia.com/
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #12
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Oops. You're right. I did miss the point. Sorry for not reading the question closer.

The Sony RM-B150 will do what you want it to do but it may not be worth the expense and it may be a challenge to mount it on the pan handle.
Sony | RMB-150A Hand Held Remote Control | RMB150//A | B&H Photo

On both my EX3 and EX1, I have Assign Button #3 permanently programmed for "Record Start/Stop" because it is in a very convenient location that is easy to find with my left hand without looking. My left hand is usually on the lens anyway, so it's a small motion to slide over and hit the button. Unless I'm shooting hand-held, Assign #3 is actually the only record button I ever use.

Using an Assign button might not be the solution you are looking for, but it's better than using the button on top of the handle.
Doug that's a great idea thanks...much better than fumbling about trying to get to the button on the handle. My buttons are about to be re-assigned.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network