EX3-Cavision Matte Box and 4x3 filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 16th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Major Player

EX3-Cavision Matte Box and 4x3 filters

Just wondering if anyone with the aforementioned combination has tried using 4x3 filters in the rear, rotatable filter holder.
I seem to have a plethora of 4x3 graduated filters left over from my medium format days and have found that they fit into the rear holder of the Cavision but when oriented for proper graduated effect there is a 1/2 gap, as one would expect for a 4x4 holder, on the left and right sides of the holder. The gap, however, is slightly beyond (lateral to) the lens opening and might not be an issue but I am concerned about the possibility of light leaks and before I risk marring the edge of the filters with gaffer tape I was hoping that someone might have already tried this combination.

Thank you in advance.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

You can simply cut 2 1/8" x 4" x 1/2" black plastic strips and make them fit tight on the sides of glass to be used when using undersize filters.

Or even order a replacement holder from Cavision and customize it for smaller filters by epoxying them into filter frame, you may also need to relocate or shorten springs. This should be a fairly easy job.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
You can simply cut 2 1/8" x 4" x 1/2" black plastic strips and make them fit tight on the sides of glass to be used when using undersize filters.

Or even order a replacement holder from Cavision and customize it for smaller filters by epoxying them into filter frame, you may also need to relocate or shorten springs. This should be a fairly easy job.
Excellent idea (more reasonable than gaffer's tape) and before reading your post this morning I rummaged through the studio looking for suitable plastic of an acceptable thickness but, alas, none was to be found but locating a sheet somewhere should be possible.
Thanks again.
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

You can order here.

DELRINŽ - DELRIN Sheet & Delrin Rod- Order Online
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Hello and thank you for the link.
It appears that I would be required to order an entire sheet (48x96) for, in the range of $100.00. I may try searching for a piece of scrap, after all, all I really need are two pieces of plastic 1/2" wide and +/- 4" long.
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilk View Post
Hello and thank you for the link.
It appears that I would be required to order an entire sheet (48x96) for, in the range of $100.00. I may try searching for a piece of scrap, after all, all I really need are two pieces of plastic 1/2" wide and +/- 4" long.
How thin would you like? I think I might have a small scrap piece of black Delrin type plastic that I can send you for the cost of postage. If you can get an exact measurement, I can probably laser cut a piece for a modest cost.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd View Post
How thin would you like? I think I might have a small scrap piece of black Delrin type plastic that I can send you for the cost of postage. If you can get an exact measurement, I can probably laser cut a piece for a modest cost.
Hello and thank you for the offer. I will take the measurements and post back to you.

Ron
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd View Post
I have made several test shots with the 4x3 filters in the Cavision's rear filter holder and, so far, there have been no light leaks suggesting that the baffles and flags are doing a good job and that fillers may not be necessary. In addition, after careful consideration, if fillers were to be required, a small piece of high density foam might be more practical than rigid plastic given the anticipated need for a tight fit as well as allowing for easy removal of the filter.
Thanks again for your offer, it was genuinely appreciated.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds