DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   521EX Lens Remote Control by Manfroto (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/239538-521ex-lens-remote-control-manfroto.html)

Ronnie Martin July 22nd, 2009 08:07 PM

521EX Lens Remote Control by Manfroto

Has anybody had experience with the 521EX Lens Remote Control by Manfroto with the Ex cameras? Does the focus control work and will it creep slowly?

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
www.dirtracinvideo.com

Vincent Oliver July 23rd, 2009 01:43 AM

I pressume this will also work with the EX3, or not ?

Bob Grant July 23rd, 2009 05:16 AM

As far as I know no controller has the ability to control focus on the EX1/3, the focus motor in not connected to the lens controller socket.
You can get a remote focus unit but that involves using either a mechanical cable or motor and controller.

Cris Daniels July 23rd, 2009 12:18 PM

lens controller

It works with either camera.

Feels a little junky, I wish it were more metal than plastic, but so far it is holding on fine. The Varizoom does seem more robust, although I have only used it once and don't have any long term experience with the Varizoom.

No focus is the killer, so it is of limited use in a lot of ways.

Boyd Ostroff July 25th, 2009 03:19 PM

I was at B&H yesterday and they had one of these hooked up to an EX1. I wasn't in the market for a zoom controller, but after playing a bit it took some willpower not to purchase it! It ramped up smoothly to a beautiful slow zoom. I tried using the regular EX1 rocker and couldn't achieve a zoom that subtle (I'm new to this camera).

I was picking up a whole EX1 system and just didn't want to spend the extra money right now, but I suspect there may be one in my future.

But it looks like there's a typo in the info on B&H's site: Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 521EX Lens Remote Control | 521EX

Quote:

The remote control gives videographers greater control over the camera's focus, as well as other functions including record/stop.
It should say "greater control over the camera's zoom".

Ben Longden July 26th, 2009 03:07 AM

I use one for the Fujinon on my DSR-570, and to be perfectly honest its brilliant.

My only crit with it is the button 'dimple' isnt big enough to stand out as being THE button.
other than that, it has a variable zoom, from a deadset crawl to crash, while the thumb toggle is also variable.

For left handed zoom operators, the thing has a 'flip' button to make it work well on the left.

Mine fits beautifully on the pan bar and nestles the thumb perfectly, with THE button in the right spot.

Manfrotto make them to suit Sony and Canon LANC as well as Fujinon 8 pin and Canon lenses.

Money well spent, as it makes life framing the shot a hell of a lot easier. Focus with the left, zoom with the right..

Ben

Piotr Wozniacki July 26th, 2009 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1176602)
It ramped up smoothly to a beautiful slow zoom.

Confirmed. I've been one of the first MN 521ex users (perhaps even the first one, as I beta-tested it). After a while of getting used to the rocker, I can get creeping zoom lasting almost 2 minutes from Z0 to Z99.

Vincent Oliver July 26th, 2009 04:22 AM

I have the Canon XH A1 version which I also use with the XL1s. It works a treat especially if you want to zoom and pan at the same time. Hope the new version works as well with the EX 3

Bob Hayes October 3rd, 2009 05:16 PM

Is there an on off button? Is the a 50' extension cable.