DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   High Dynamic Range (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/239608-high-dynamic-range.html)

Francois Dormoy July 23rd, 2009 04:58 PM

High Dynamic Range

There is an application HDR which enable us to make great pictures through bracketing (make the same piture underexposed, normal and overexposed) and merge them together while the aplication processes the effect.
Is there a similar application to do the same with video clips (provided of course that we shoot the 3 clips while the camero is on a tripod ad shooting a fixed landscape...
Any idea ??

Brian Barkley July 23rd, 2009 05:06 PM

This is a very interesting idea . . . please keep us informed and show us a still image if you try it .... thanx.

Francois Dormoy July 23rd, 2009 06:20 PM

I saw fantastic pitures on this web site. But they are still pictures

35 Fantastic HDR Pictures | Inspiration | Smashing Magazine

Jonathan Shaw July 23rd, 2009 06:58 PM

I've seen it done with RED, and it looked awesome the guy did it in photoshop and writing a script with the files.
I don't know how you would do it with XDCAM footage

Robert Young July 23rd, 2009 09:57 PM

You could do it a frame at a time in PS ;-)

Dave Tyrer July 27th, 2009 03:11 AM

A little underused adjustment in Photoshop is the Highlight/Shadow adjustment and it works a treat. If there were such an adjustment in Post Prod software it would be really useful.

Vincent Oliver July 27th, 2009 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer (Post 1177165)
A little underused adjustment in Photoshop is the Highlight/Shadow adjustment and it works a treat. If there were such an adjustment in Post Prod software it would be really useful.

Adobe Premiere has this facility

Vincent Oliver July 27th, 2009 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francois Dormoy (Post 1175720)
I saw fantastic pitures on this web site. But they are still pictures

35 Fantastic HDR Pictures | Inspiration | Smashing Magazine

I think there is only one word to describe the images - YUCK!

Dave Tyrer July 27th, 2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1177189)
I think there is only one word to describe the images - YUCK!

This is one I did...if you use it sparingly and with the right subject it's fine.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3197/...90642a00_o.jpg

Robert Young July 27th, 2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1177188)
Adobe Premiere has this facility

Indeed, the Shadow/Highlight filter in Premiere is very similar to the one in PS and works very well for video.
Not true HDR, but can certainly turn a problem shot into something usable.

Eric Pascarelli October 11th, 2009 09:46 AM

Try Photomatix Pro. You'll have to export your video as a frame sequence, and interleave the frame numbering (depending on what you are trying to achieve), but this still photo software does batch processing of true HDR conversions and I have used it on motion picture footage with success.

HDR photo software & plugin - Tone Mapping, Exposure Fusion & HDR Imaging for photography

The only issue I have run into is some flickering in the "tone mapping" method of conversion, which I was able to remove with a deflicker tool. For bracketed material, this should not be an issue.

My only question is, since bracketed HDR requires identical image sequences to work correctly, how are you exactly repeating the action in your shots? Motion control? Or, if everything is static, why not just use a still?

George Strother October 13th, 2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer (Post 1177165)

A free FCP plugin from Lyric Media is available here - Lyric Final Cut Pro Plugins

Works pretty well.

Alex Sava October 14th, 2009 07:46 AM

The most impressive elements in most decent HDR photos are the over the top skies... This can be somewhat reproduced in footage with sky replacement. Color correct the hell out of your shot then get a great sky and add it in and maybe a small vignette on top and it will look great.

But since this topic is about achieving HDR photography on live action, couldn't you shoot something normally then make overexposed and underexposed versions of that with your choice of software then mix them all together? Some HDR photos are made from normal photos + Photoshopped versions instead of actual bracketing done in camera, and they look great.

Of course, no way of looking at this without thinking for a proper result, you need to do it frame by frame. Ouch...