How do I deliver this?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I deliver this??

Hi,

Just done a short web video for a company to go on their site, it clocks in at 3 minutes 39 seconds.

The company told me to call the their web design company to see what format they want in for the site. However they want to do the encode. My question is what is the best format to get the thing out of Final cut at the highest quality?

I'm so used to down-converting to SD or encoding to H.264 but never had to deliver something as a data file that they can pull of a DVD. Just want to give them the highest output possible before they encode to FLV.

Which is the best format?

Many thanks
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Uncompressed MOV. File>Export>Quicktime Movie. Be sure to make it self contained. It'll be a large file but there is no compression at all.
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Top man Rick,

Well done!
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well, maybe.

3 minutes and change of uncompressed HD may not fit on a DVD. If it won't, then you can deliver ProRes HQ to them. 220Mbps is going to look uncompressed for all intents and purposes.

BluRay makes this a non-issue for these kinds of small projects. But both sides need the capability. SDHC cards are useful too, but the 4GB max file size (per file) makes things tedious.
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi,

Well I did it as Rick suggested and the size comes out at 795 MB.

Will fit on one DVD, so all seems good! Just a bit worried because I hope the web company can read it because it outs as a "Final Cut Pro Movie File". Would this work if they are PC based?
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It should if they have an up to date Quicktime codec. Happy to help.

Last edited by Rick Jones; July 27th, 2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: clarification
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Ruddock View Post
Hi,

Will fit on one DVD, so all seems good! Just a bit worried because I hope the web company can read it because it outs as a "Final Cut Pro Movie File". Would this work if they are PC based?
Another reason I suggested ProRes, but if they have quicktime installed, they should be fine. You might consider putting a few different versions of the file on the DVD since you have the space.

Uncompressed
ProResHQ
Avid DNxHD (free download for you and them and no gamma shift issues unlike some other choices)
Jpeg2000 (at 100% quality)
AJA v210 (10bit codec)

Each of these will give superb quality and in their best settings will closely simulate uncompressed footage. All can be read on PCs with free software or codecs.
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Perrone.......good listing!!
Old July 27th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Inner Circle

BTW the ProRes decoder (they codec they'd need if you used ProRes) is a free download from Apple. There's both a Mac and Windows version so you can deliver ProRes to those on Windows systems.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #10
Major Player

I always email a client a small sample (like 1 second) link to see if they can read the file. There are just so many codecs that this little extra step saves time (having to mail another data DVD out). I long for the old days of just a handful of codecs that everyone had on their computers, LOL!
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter View Post
I long for the old days of just a handful of codecs that everyone had on their computers, LOL!
Why not send the videos AND the needed codecs? That's what I do.
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Why not send the videos AND the needed codecs? That's what I do.
Because not every codec can be used by every player/piece of software due to licensing issues/whatnot. Uncompressed as far as I know is universal but it takes up a ton of space.

What format do you prefer, Mr. Ford? My go to standard def option was Apple Quicktime DV but I am still back and forth on an HD format.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Ruddock View Post
Hi,

I think you may want to check what kind of file that is. If it is uncompressed standard,
that file should be quite a bit larger than 795 MB for over three and one half minutes.
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Frkovich View Post
I think you may want to check what kind of file that is. If it is uncompressed standard,
that file should be quite a bit larger than 795 MB for over three and one half minutes.
That's what I was thinking...
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter View Post
Because not every codec can be used by every player/piece of software due to licensing issues/whatnot. Uncompressed as far as I know is universal but it takes up a ton of space.

What format do you prefer, Mr. Ford? My go to standard def option was Apple Quicktime DV but I am still back and forth on an HD format.
For Mac <-> PC Round-trips I prefer Avid's DNxHD. Free to download and transfer, no gamma shift problems, 8 or 10 bit. For distribution to unknown platforms, Jpeg2000. Wavlet compression, nice file sizes, Mathematically lossless at best rate, ISO standard....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds