EX3 stock lens vs. 3rd party lenses on ramping and breathing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 28th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 stock lens vs. 3rd party lenses on ramping and breathing

The EX stock lens doesn't ramp or breathe, an excellent feature. Have any EX3 owners found this to be of any other 1/2" lenses from Fuji or Canon?
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

All traditional lenses will breathe to greater or lesser extent as focusing is achieved by moving the front lens element forwards and backwards. Most of the lower cost HD lenses breathe quite a lot. The ex lenses don't breathe as focusing is done by electronicaly moving the some of the rear lens elements.
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Major Player

My XS lens on my EX3 breathes quite a bit, but as Alister mentioned, that is because of the lens movement. Not a big deal for me.
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
All traditional lenses will breathe to greater or lesser extent as focusing is achieved by moving the front lens element forwards and backwards. Most of the lower cost HD lenses breathe quite a lot. The ex lenses don't breathe as focusing is done by electronicaly moving the some of the rear lens elements.
First time I saw this in EX I was very impressed. Even the 70x sports lenses I put together sometimes breathe and ramp. If that's how EX does it I wonder why nobody else hasn't employed it. Sounds like a simple enough idea. How is the ramping eliminated?
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Major Player

It does ramp, but the F-Stop reading doesn't show it. From about 10mm it ramps up from F1.9 to F2.8.

Zoom in on something, and your spot meter doesn't move until you pass F2.8.
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Vortex Media

The Fujinon HSs18x5.5 lens that I use on my EX3 has no noticeable breathing or ramping at all. Unfortunately, it is a $12,000 lens.

To dispute a thread on another forum (that shall remain nameless) about breathing with Nikon lenses, I did this quick test to show that breathing is not a problem using the Adaptimax and quality Nikon lenses.

Adaptimax Lens Breathing Demonstration on Vimeo
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Doug I would suggest that your clip show quite a lot of breathing. The tree on the left moves a long way in to the left as it comes in to focus. I think what the clip shows is that the shallow depth of field created by the long focal length hides the breathing.
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #8
Vortex Media

That's not breathing. That's a side effect of the FCP smoothing filter I applied. I'll try to post the unfiltered footage when I can. The Nikon lenses don't having any noticable breathing that would prevent racking focus.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I can't wait for your unfiltered footage, Doug. Because like Alister, I can see a lot of breathing on the tree trunk!
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Vortex Media

I uploaded a new version without smoothing. Whatever movement you see is due to the wind and my shakey hands. This particular lens is not very easy to rack focus.

This version o fhte video is HD and I added a grid to make it easier to see that there is virtually no breathing. I won't go so far as to say "none" even though I don't see any. Every lens probably has some breathing.

The point of this video is that Nikon SLR lenses do no exhibit any more breathing than any other lens. I know that is a true statement.

http://vimeo.com/5515816
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:48 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks Doug.

I guess it's comparable to the extent of breathing I'm getting from my Canon FD 50/1.4 I use with Letus adapter.

It's certainly less distracting than with my Canon FD zoom lens - but that's to be expected.
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:37 AM   #12
Regular Crew

So electronic movement of the rear lens element which eliminates the breathing is how EX performs the backfocus it appears. That's interesting. I'd still prefer manual backfocus vs. "auto" backfocus however.
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Major Player

Back focus on EX-3

The first time I ran the auto back focus on my EX-3 I almost ruined a shoot I was doing the next day. It left the back focus so very far off that I had to work around it by pretty much avoiding any zooms.

So I made a giant back focus target (four pieces of paper taped together) and ran it on that. It gave great results, and it was kind of fun watching the thing happening.

I don't have the photoshop file on this computer, but if anyone wants to email me at tipsd9video@msn.com I can send it later. I did it in photoshop as I recall, but it would be even better in a vector graphics program like Illustrator or Corel.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds