Archive your BPAV folders at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 29th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Vortex Media

Archive your BPAV folders

I just returned from a couple of days at Sony in New Jersey, and although I prohibited about a lot of what I learned, just let me remind everyone to archive your BPAV folders.

If you are converting to MOV, MXF, or whatever, you should also be archiving your original BPAV folders. That is the workflow I've been recommending from day one in my training DVDs. If you just archive the MOV files and then trash the original native files you might regret it.

You'll find out why in a few months. Cool stuff on the horizon.
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Major Player

You are SUCH a tease, buddy. ;-)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree, cool stuff on the horizon . . . any hints?
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Native XDCAM EX edit in coming FCS 3.0 :) I hope Sony and Apple both realize that we need it.
Darek Sepiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Well,

Just a guess on my part, but about the only reason I could see for archiving the BPAV structure for future use is that Sony may be looking to allow us to carry that Metadata into the NLE(s) and potentially allowing us to have media management capability. The metadata would be nice as R3D files already carry this and it's recognized.

*IF* this is the case, I hope you made mention to Sony that it would be EXTREMELY helpful to have unique identifiers for the BPAV files so that they could all be placed at the same level in a folder hierarchy. It's a royal pain right now to have to pre-make folders to drop the same named files into. Just had to do this again today and it's frustrating.
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Inner Circle

For $80 you can do that now with CalibratedSoftware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darek Sepiolo View Post
Native XDCAM EX edit in coming FCS 3.0 :) I hope Sony and Apple both realize that we need it.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Doug, we should have your comments about the BPAV go viral. You won't believe the resistance I find people have to archiving the BPAV.

It scares mean when someone says cool stuff on the horizon. With Sony that means having to buy a new camera to take advantage of new features. If it's only another paid firmware upgrade i can live with that. I don't think any of this has impact on current BPAV folders.

Maybe there's so secret but of metadata that, once enabled, will do some unimagined fantastic thing. The only thing that jumps out at me is that there is something like enable cache record off but that doesn't impact current BPAV files either.
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
For $80 you can do that now with CalibratedSoftware.
Well... not that easy like with XDCAM transfer. I'd like to get full functionality of the Sony soft.
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm not sure what you mean. I can import and edit the EX MP4 directly into FCP.
I copy the BPAV with ClipBrowser to my hard drive.
I file import the MP4 into FCP (and yes the time code comes in with it).

I do not need XDCAM Transfer. I do not need Log & Transfer.

How is that not easy?

Quote:
Well... not that easy like with XDCAM transfer. I'd like to get full functionality of the Sony soft.
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. I can import and edit the EX MP4 directly into FCP.
I copy the BPAV with ClipBrowser to my hard drive.
I file import the MP4 into FCP (and yes the time code comes in with it).

I do not need XDCAM Transfer. I do not need Log & Transfer.

How is that not easy?
We've got different workflows. I use transfer to browse clips and import cuts not the whole clips.
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #11
Inner Circle

True you can't do that with CalibratedSoftware plugin.

Quote:
We've got different workflows. I use transfer to browse clips and import cuts not the whole clips.
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Regular Crew

A reminder to check out these guys who have some new archiving products I mentioned in a previous thread:

Cache-A Products
Steve Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Maybe there's so secret but of metadata that, once enabled, will do some unimagined fantastic thing.
Unless it edits my video for me, I'm doubtful about how earth shattering this new feature might be.

Seriously, the only thing that would impress me would be if the entire BPAV folder structure could be instantly converted into a single file with a low-res proxy and that either could be opened directly in Final Cut Pro or any other Quicktime-capable application. Yes, I'm thinking about client review.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I've always archived the source material. It's like keeping the source tapes.

With the way technology changes, you just never know when the original material would come in handy. NASA learned that the hard way with the original tapes of Neil Armstrong's first steps on the Moon.
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #15
Major Player

FCS3/FCP 7 Log & Transfer

FCS3/FCP 7 just made using Log & Transfer a whole lot more friendly. You can add a new name plus a counter AND keep the original file name (and add spacers to move it rightward so you don't have to look at the old name in your browser column view if you don't want to).

Not native editing yet, but very nice. Seems faster, too, but I couldn't swear to that, as my test files were quite small.

(I'll start this as a new thread as it's not quite on Doug's point.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds