Copying SxS card to SDHC card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Copying SxS card to SDHC card

Forgive me if this has been covered here before.....
I'm finding a need to copy all the clips from a SxS card to an SDHC card for backup as the external drives I usually transfer content to and deliver to the client did not make it (yet) to a shoot I'm currently on. I've decided to backup on a LaCie rugged drive I carry with me temporarily, but that only gives me one backup. So for my insurance, I've decided to do my second backup onto some SDHC cards I have, but so far can't find a way to copy all the clips at once. I had to copy each clip individually which worked, but was kind of a pain in the butt.
Surely there must be a way to copy all the clips simultaneously? Should I put the MxR adapter into my computer and copy the clips from the LaCie using Clip Browser? (I copied the clips individually using the in-camera option to copy from one card slot to the other... but could only find a way to do that for individual clips)
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Hi David,

I didn't want to come across all spruiky or anything, but we have an Expresscard USB reader on our site, which you plug into one of your computer USB ports and then you can use Shotput Pro to copy the data from your Expresscard slot to the MxR in one go.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

ross,

is the MxR hard drive card ready yet?

Dano
Dano Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

oooops...did not get to the next post...sorry...

dano
Dano Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks, Ross-
By the way, it's Derek, not David (unless you're posting to a different thread)

I appreciate the tip, but I was just looking for a really quick fix for a very temporary situation. My external drives showed up today, so it's kind of a moot point, but it did get me thinking about using the SDHC cards for backup. Copying clip by clip is incredibly tiresome, and I did try the Clip Browser approach copying from my one external hard drive back to an SDHC card in your adapter in the express card slot on my MBP. But wow.... was that SLOW! I finally bailed when I had to leave. It was much quicker copying the clips individually in-camera.
Anyway, maybe in the future your USB adapter is the way to go. Thanks.

Spruiky??
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Derek, hope all is well! I had a similar situation a month or so back. I copied the card onto my desktop, then used finder to copy all the data to a drive, then to the SDHC card. I now have the mac pro with an express card reader, the usb route was just too slow. Putting it on the desktop gave me one copy, the drive was my second and I sent the client off with the sdhc. As long as the usb was out of the loop everything moved pretty quick.
Some will chastise me for not using CRC checking in the browser but I check the file size, try to look at the first and last clip and generally make sure everything is where it should be, and the only burns I have so far were self inflicted and not too serious.
I'v ebeen thinking of backing up to the sdhc in the field, I am a bit leery about using them directly for serious (ie: I'm getting paid) work.
Watch out for those bears and the wolves, bits, bytes and data too.
How about the calendar/blog/dog pix etc?
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds