DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Component Out - No Signal (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/240284-component-out-no-signal.html)

Nathan DuMoulin August 4th, 2009 02:33 AM

Component Out - No Signal

I have two EX1's rented, both which will require field monitors. However neither seem to output a signal via component cable. I've gone into the VIDEO SET menu and have tried setting the 'YPbPr/SDI Out' to HD/SD/OFF. I've also tried changing the video format in case the camera has a limitation there. No results.

Any ideas? I'm in a huge bind here. I need this problem solved within 48 hours.

:(

Nick Wilson August 4th, 2009 04:31 AM

According to the manual (p118), setting YPbPr/SDI Out to HD or SD should output HD or SD over component, but nothing over composite. Composite is enabled when YPbPr/SDI Out is set to Off. Are you actually using component out or composite (A/V) out?

Boyd Ostroff August 4th, 2009 07:29 AM

Maybe you should try a full reset since they are rented cameras. Right "out of the box" my EX1 worked perfectly with component on two different monitors. So if you restore the defaults it should either work or else there's a problem with the camera or cable.

If you are concerned about messing up any other settings with a reset, save the camera file to a memory card first.

Denis OKeefe August 4th, 2009 08:05 AM

check the "Ilink" setting, I think it is in the "OTHER" menu. it should be disabled.

Nathan DuMoulin August 4th, 2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Wilson (Post 1180643)
According to the manual (p118), setting YPbPr/SDI Out to HD or SD should output HD or SD over component, but nothing over composite. Composite is enabled when YPbPr/SDI Out is set to Off. Are you actually using component out or composite (A/V) out?

I'm using component.

I also did a full reset when I first picked up the cameras, so that's not it either. ilink is also disabled.

Thanks for the suggestions. Eugh, running out of time. These cams are useless unless I can run them on a monitor.

Denis OKeefe August 4th, 2009 10:39 AM

does either output in composite? Can you get your hands on an SDI monitor? Not that it helps, but something doesn't sound right - one camera may have a problem but both at the same time?
Have you tried multiple monitors - outputting SD through the component connector - is the monitor set for RGB input?

Doug Jensen August 4th, 2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan DuMoulin (Post 1180626)
I have two EX1's rented, both which will require field monitors. However neither seem to output a signal via component cable. I've gone into the VIDEO SET menu and have tried setting the 'YPbPr/SDI Out' to HD/SD/OFF. I've also tried changing the video format in case the camera has a limitation there. No results.
Any ideas? I'm in a huge bind here. I need this problem solved within 48 hours.
:(

This is all covered on pages 92-96 of my EX1 Field Guide.
Vortex Media's XDCAM Field Guides

You don't say if you want HD or SD ouput. I'll assume HD.

Set the "YPbPr/SDI Out Select" menu to "HD" and plug the provided Component cable into the Component output terminal. That should be all there is to it.
The "iLink I/O" menu setting will make no difference.

If you still don't have a signal, you might want to double-check that you're using the right cable and have it plugged into the right port. Are you sure you're not using the A/V cable/port and trying to see Component with it?

Olof Ekbergh August 4th, 2009 11:52 AM

Also make sure you are not sending 24p signal to a monitor that does not accept it.

There is a place to set as 24p or 1080i with pulldown for 24p. Can't remember where it is and it may only apply to HD/SDI.

I don't have manual, field guide or cam in front of me right now.

Alister Chapman August 4th, 2009 12:08 PM

Many things to check.

Is the monitor correctly terminated? Can the monitor accept the signals you are sending it, ie. is it a 1920x1080 HD monitor and is it set to HD, or if SD are you sending SD.

Do you have the correct component cable. Try to break the problem down into smaller steps. Have you checked the monitor to make sure it's working, perhaps try using it via composite first. Then check the monitor with another 1920x1080 component source to eliminate a monitor problem.

I too think it unlikely that 2 EX's are exhibiting the same fault.

Let us know what you find.

Boyd Ostroff August 4th, 2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1180813)
Also make sure you are not sending 24p signal to a monitor that does not accept it.

There is a place to set as 24p or 1080i with pulldown for 24p. Can't remember where it is and it may only apply to HD/SDI.

Funny, I just ran into that problem myself a couple days ago. I could *swear* that setting was in the "video set" menu, so I just looked in the manual but I don't see it listed.

But when I switched the setting (to 24pA mode I think?), I lost component video when connected to my Sony Bravia LCD TV. I thought that was strange since it seemed to work fine while connected to my cheap Dynex LCD via component video.

Nathan DuMoulin August 5th, 2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1180861)
Funny, I just ran into that problem myself a couple days ago. I could *swear* that setting was in the "video set" menu, so I just looked in the manual but I don't see it listed.

But when I switched the setting (to 24pA mode I think?), I lost component video when connected to my Sony Bravia LCD TV. I thought that was strange since it seemed to work fine while connected to my cheap Dynex LCD via component video.

Oddly enough, the problem is occurring my my Sony Bravia as well. I've since switched over to composite cables. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks for the help everyone. Unfortunately time has run out and I likely won''t ever solve this mystery.

Tim Polster August 5th, 2009 09:19 AM

Strange indeed.

Hope you can find a way to monitor. Did you call the rental place?

Kind of why I don't like to rent. Familiarity with equipment takes a while especially these new HD cams which offer so many choices.

I was unhappy to learn that the camera will only output either HD or SD, one at a time, component or composite. So all outputs are not live. But this is controlled with the settings mentioned by Doug J. on this thread.

Do you have any other analogue feeds hooked up to the camera?