Compact Sony wedge style tripod mount receiver for EX? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 6th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Compact Sony wedge style tripod mount receiver for EX?

Hi everybody in video wonder land.

I'd really, really love it if I could disengage the EX1 from handheld configured rails/rods (EX1 handheld rails picture) onto a Sony plate (Sony VCT-14 Quick-Release Tripod Adapter) on a tripod.

I can already mount the entire rod system with camera mounted onto a Sony plate using one of those finely priced wedges (Zeddie Wedgie) mounted on the bottom of the rails base plate.

And I can mount the camera itself to the Sony plate with one of these jobs DM-Accessories - VCT-WEDGE Mount for VCT Quick Release Mounts.

So anybody come across a receiver that'll mount this V wedge onto the rails without having to mount a giant Sony VCT and lug that around on your shoulder when handheld ?

Much thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Why would you have the Sony VCT plate on, when handheld anyway? Not sure I understand what you want. They make smaller plates like this.Canon | TA100 Tripod Adapter | 9859A001 | B&H Photo Video
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davenport View Post
Why would you have the Sony VCT plate on, when handheld anyway? Not sure I understand what you want. They make smaller plates like this.Canon | TA100 Tripod Adapter | 9859A001 | B&H Photo Video
To put it another way, the ability to quick release the EX1 from a handheld baseplate-rod system and quick mount it onto a tripod fitted with a VCT.

The baseplate I use, and all others to my knowledge, use the double screw system. You have to screw on and off the baseplate onto the camera bottom. So this in not quick release and prevents quickly switching the camera by itself to a tripod without the rods.

Thanks for the link to that smaller adapter. Looks interesting although it's probably still too big for handheld?
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Manfrotto and Giottos make a number of readily available and cheap quick release plates and adapters that give a far more solid QR mounting than the Sony VCT. These also allow better adjustment forwards and backwards as the use a sliding plate. IMHO they are far more suitable for the EX cameras. The basic Sony VCT while very fast to use is a very poor mount with huge amounts of play and wobble. Grab any camera on a standard VCT and it's easy to rock it from side to side.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds