DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX-1 LCD Monitor to Viewfinder Conversion? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/259509-ex-1-lcd-monitor-viewfinder-conversion.html)

Kevin Wayne Jones August 9th, 2009 03:25 PM

EX-1 LCD Monitor to Viewfinder Conversion?

Has anyone found a decent add-on attachment that can convert
the EX-1's LCD monitor into an EX-3 -like viewfinder?
Not wanting the limp sock thing I've seen.
Hoping for something more similar to the Hoodman Hoodloup.

HoodLoupe 3.0 (PATENT US 7,386,229 B2)-Hoodman Corporation

Thanks.

Kevin Jones

Vincent Oliver August 9th, 2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Wayne Jones (Post 1201710)

Thanks.

Kevin Jones

Take a look at the last video clip on the link you supplied (the clips display after you have viewed the video). Hoodman do one for camcorders too.

Barry J. Weckesser August 9th, 2009 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Wayne Jones (Post 1201710)

Thanks.

Kevin Jones

I use the HoodLoupe 3.0 now with the attaching strap and it is superb - albeit it does cut off either side of the LCD (not the top or bottom) - be patient and in another 2 1/2 to 3 weeks they should have the 3.5" LCD adaptor with a longer strap to attach it to the LCD screen. I really like the way the focusing lenses on the HoodLoupe allow you to be just as close to the LCD screen as on the EX3.

Boyd Ostroff August 9th, 2009 07:22 PM

I have been waiting to hear some reports about the new HoodLoupe myself, sounds like a good idea.

Not quite the same thing, but I am now using Sony's LCD hood which is pretty nice. It was made for the V1, and evidently the edge of that LCD screen is beveled more. The hood attaches with spring-loaded plastic fingers, and it stays on the screen pretty well, but it's possible to knock it off. Could probably rig a piece of elastic or rubber to hold it on, but as-is, it allows you to keep it on the screen for storage if you flip it upside down. The side and top flaps fold down and have magnets which keep them closed.

Sony | SHL-35WBP LCD Hood - for 3.5" LCD Panel | SHL35WBP

Barry J. Weckesser August 10th, 2009 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1202483)
I have been waiting to hear some reports about the new HoodLoupe myself, sounds like a good idea.

Not quite the same thing, but I am now using Sony's LCD hood which is pretty nice. It was made for the V1, and evidently the edge of that LCD screen is beveled more. The hood attaches with spring-loaded plastic fingers, and it stays on the screen pretty well, but it's possible to knock it off. Could probably rig a piece of elastic or rubber to hold it on, but as-is, it allows you to keep it on the screen for storage if you flip it upside down. The side and top flaps fold down and have magnets which keep them closed.

Sony | SHL-35WBP LCD Hood - for 3.5" LCD Panel | SHL35WBP

I have the same thing too but it can't compare to the HoodLoupe - the Hoodloupe blocks out all light and turns the LCD screen into a superbright, high resolution viewfinder. As I understand it, the adaptors and straps to convert the HoodLoupe 3.0 to 3.5 are on their way here now and will be available toward the end of August.

Matthew Hurley August 10th, 2009 07:59 AM

Having used both the Hoodman 3.0 and the sock loop, i have a few thoughts on the matter. First the sock loop set up. In all fairness, it is a great concept. but in an other than studio environment, i found it to be very cumbersome. Not having a real ability to "LOCK" a diopter setting for my eyes, to me made the sock loop ineffective for my shooting style. I never had the ability to view the full flip out monitors screen, when using the sock loop. It now sits in my camera bag, as i have purchased the smallHD monitor.

Now,the Hoodman 3.0. A friend of mine purchased one for his Canon MK2D. Here is what i found. The mounting rubber band affair imo is cumbersome. The hood has a hard time staying centered in place on the camera. Overall the diopter does work ok. I would hope Hoodman addresses the issue of the 'Round" eyepiece. An eye cup affair would stop external light from getting in around the eyepiece. Then there is the way the Hoodmans diopter handles the image coming from the Canon MK2D monitor. You do get a sharp center of focus, yet to the sides and edges, The Hoodman gives a rather distorted image effect. Can make you kind of dizzy in a run and gun scenario.

I do understand, that at the price points the above manufacturers offer their fine products at , is more than fair. To really address the use of the Sony EX1 flip out monitor, a manufacturer would need to do something along the lines of what Sony did with the EX3. That is to make a (Diopter that is ground optically to be used in conjunction with the EX1 monitor). That costs money for any small company in their R&D phase. Then those costs would have to be passed down to we, the end user. This i understand and would gladly accept.

I personally would pay $550-$750 for a good,stable monitor mounted VF for the EX1 if the diopter was of good quality.

Has anyone here had a chance to use Zucato's monitor viewfinder? I have been told it is a very pro set up.

Barry J. Weckesser August 10th, 2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Hurley (Post 1204544)
Has anyone here had a chance to use Zucato's monitor viewfinder? I have been told it is a very pro set up.

Do you have a link? I can't seem to find this anywhere on google even using Zuccato which, I believe, is the correct spelling.

Boyd Ostroff August 10th, 2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser (Post 1204553)
I can't seem to find this anywhere on google even using Zuccato which, I believe, is the correct spelling.

Well that is probably the reason, it's Zacuto. :-)

Try this: Z-Finder - Zacuto

Looks interesting but probably not the right size for the EX1's LCD. Says it's actually made by Schneider/Century.

Matthew Hurley August 10th, 2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1204770)
Well that is probably the reason, it's Zacuto. :-)

Try this: Z-Finder - Zacuto

Looks interesting but probably not the right size for the EX1's LCD. Says it's actually made by Schneider/Century.

Thanks for the direct link. This would be one fine addition to an EX1 kit. I wonder if the manufacturer would entertain making one for the EX1.

Boyd Ostroff August 10th, 2009 04:08 PM

They are a DVinfo sponsor. Why not contact them and see what they say? Contact Us | Zacuto

Matthew Hurley August 11th, 2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1206003)
They are a DVinfo sponsor. Why not contact them and see what they say? Contact Us | Zacuto

Thanks for that info Boyd. I just fired off an email to Steve Weiss @ Zacuto. A Zacuto Z-Finder coupled with the high resolution of the Sony EX1,s flip out monitor would be a very nice combo. Now, if only i had buckets of money.Lol.

Matthew Hurley August 12th, 2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1206003)

I contacted Steve Weiss. Product Designer @ Zacuto. I asked him his thoughts on manufacturing a Z-Finder the the EX1. Below is his response to my inquire.

"We have thought about making one for the EX1 but the problem is that you really need a long tube to get the viewfinder to be further back. We tried adapting the Z-finder to it but it doesn't work because it's too wide and bangs into the camera, causing you head to not be straight when looking through the viewfinder. The optics to do the tube concept is going to be very expensive and I think it's just out of our range right now.
Sorry,

Steve Weiss
Zacuto USA | Director, Product Designer "

Boyd Ostroff August 13th, 2009 09:35 AM

Thanks for following through on that Matthew. Too bad... but I am happy with my LCD hood and 15" external monitor.