EX1 and Letus or Panasonic GH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 11th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 and Letus or Panasonic GH1

Just wanting to get in to some shallower DOF and using 35mm lens. I have an EX1 and the opportunity to get a Letus Extreme, some primes and rails. This would cost about the same as the new Panasonic GH1. Just looking for some candid opinions. I mostly shoot action sports and documentary interviews.

Thanks
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Trustee

i would get GH1,
though for an action sports EX is better, but for interviews and other stuff with GH1 you'll get much better picture than with the EX+letus,
and it's not that I just would, i actually did, first I bought brevis, but after i compared what I get with EX1 and brevis to 5Dmkii there was no second thought,
I just wish 5D had better IS, full HDMI out for the monitor and didn't have that 12min clip limit, then my EX would go for a walk, on ebay :)
well, basically I want a video camera with a full size sensor!
for the price of mkii :)
may be scarlet? when it's out :) (when it's out?)
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Major Player

True on the Scarlet, can't wait for that. In my opinion, the EX workflow is extremely easy and fast which is a big plus I don't think you can discount. The Extreme is nice but you'll need to be able to light well to run with it. My biggest point would be to remember to consider how you'll need to capture audio and work with it. Also, no slomo and fine tuning ability out of the still cams anywhere close to what you have off the EX1.

If you really care about the DOF and want to really be able to control it, I'd think more about the spinning GG-based ones over the Extreme as another point to think about.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #4
Trustee

For the type of stuff your shooting, I'd get a Letus Ultimate and some lenses. You can always use the lenses for 35mm still photography (or sell them....if you get good ones they hold their value quite well)

If you need a light weight package, then go with the GL1. If you're a seasoned videographer, stick with the EX1 as it will feel more familiar and be easier/quicker to use.

Can a GL1 shoot the variety of video formats that an EX1 can? (HDV, 30p, 60i, etc....)

Don't forget to buy a good aftermarket viewfinder for the GL1 because focus is critical. (the EX3 comes with a great viewfinder)

Anyway, just some random thoughts that might help. :)
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Major Player

STICK with the EX1 I also own two 5d marks I use them for still photography mostly. I decided to use the mark 2 on a job for red carpet interviews because of the compact size and light weight. I bought an xlr adapter, bracket for my wireless mic, video light , battery grip AND 7" MONITOR with all this attached it probably weighs more than my EX1 and the controls are much easy to use on the fly on the EX1. I AGREE WITH MITCHELL focus is critical. (the EX3 comes with a great viewfinder)
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds