DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Final Cut: no 1080p sequence settings? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/266789-final-cut-no-1080p-sequence-settings.html)

Kyle McConaghy August 11th, 2009 01:11 PM

Final Cut: no 1080p sequence settings?

In Final Cut, I have my sequence preset set to XDCAM EX 1080p30, yet when i go to my sequences bin in a project and view the sequence settings with EX footage in it, the aspect ration says 1080i and there isn't an option for 1080p. Is it converting my footage to 1080i?

Thank you!

Neil McClure August 11th, 2009 05:42 PM

No. It's just the aspect ratio. If you check your Sequence Settings -Quicktime video Settings - Compressor: That should be set at XDCAM HD 1080p30 (35 Mbs VBR). FCP and XDCAM EX are not good mates. You cannot set a preset for XDCAM EX. So I set it for XDCAM HD and then drop a clip onto the sequence and let FCP change it to XDCAM EX. A pain but hopefully fixed in FCP 7

Boyd Ostroff August 11th, 2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil McClure (Post 1210476)
FCP and XDCAM EX are not good mates. You cannot set a preset for XDCAM EX. So I set it for XDCAM HD and then drop a clip onto the sequence and let FCP change it to XDCAM EX.

Haha - that makes me feel a lot better. I just had a first try at editing some footage from my new EX1 the other day and couldn't understand why it was behaving this way! I ended up doing just what you are.

Jon Braeley August 12th, 2009 07:00 AM

The sequence preset for XDCAM EX 1080p / 24/30 VBR is available in easy set up and your audio/video settings tab as well. That's where you set this up - not by selecting the timeline and going into sequence settings.
Once you use easy set up correctly your timeline is set of XDCAM EX - at least this happens on my system. Nothing changes when I drop my EX clips on to the timeline.

Boyd Ostroff August 12th, 2009 08:08 AM

Hmm, I will have to look at this again. I did choose the 1080p24 VBR codec but am pretty sure FCP wanted to change the sequence setting when I dropped the clip into the timeline. Have not done any "real" editing yet, just playing around still.

Neil McClure August 12th, 2009 07:00 PM

adding XDCAM EX settings for FCP

Perhaps because I have additional custom settings such as Blackmagic's my XDCAM EX settings were never added when they came available/updated. Looking at the FCP editing forum I have learnt the following:

Open the Final Cut Pro Additional Easy Setups in your Applications folder and COPY the ex settings to the Macintosh HD/Library/Application support/Final Cut Pro System Support/Custom Settings - folder. You can also trash the ones you will never use if you like.

Then delete some preferences (save a copy of your preferences such as Window layouts before you do this.)

Drag the file named "com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist" to the Trash
Double-click the folder named "Final Cut Pro User Data".
Drag the file named "Final Cut Pro 4.0 Preferences" to the Trash

Put back in your custom settings and restart FCP

Choose easy set up...

Mitchell Lewis August 15th, 2009 09:40 AM

Yeah, this has been a common problem. For some reason the XDCAM EX Easy Setup settings don't get installed where they should be. Only the XDCAM (non-EX) Easy Setup's are listed. Once you do that, things will get a lot easier when editing XDCAM EX footage in FCP.

One last thing, don't forget to change your Sequence Settings>Render Tab to "Render as ProRes". This also makes a huge difference when editing EX footage in FCP.

Giles Campbell Longley August 18th, 2009 12:18 AM

because of this would you not recommend using the EX1 with FCP? FCP is my weapon of choice and im looking for a camera that works best with it, obviously the JVC GY HM series but im really liking the EX1 when it comes to capturing sport and movement.

Boyd Ostroff August 18th, 2009 06:50 AM

It's absolutely no problem, you just have to set the sequence properly. And if you don't, when you drop a clip into a sequence FCP will tell you that the setting is wrong and ask if you want to change the settings to match the clip.