Final Cut: no 1080p sequence settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Final Cut: no 1080p sequence settings?

In Final Cut, I have my sequence preset set to XDCAM EX 1080p30, yet when i go to my sequences bin in a project and view the sequence settings with EX footage in it, the aspect ration says 1080i and there isn't an option for 1080p. Is it converting my footage to 1080i?

Thank you!
Kyle McConaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No. It's just the aspect ratio. If you check your Sequence Settings -Quicktime video Settings - Compressor: That should be set at XDCAM HD 1080p30 (35 Mbs VBR). FCP and XDCAM EX are not good mates. You cannot set a preset for XDCAM EX. So I set it for XDCAM HD and then drop a clip onto the sequence and let FCP change it to XDCAM EX. A pain but hopefully fixed in FCP 7
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McClure View Post
FCP and XDCAM EX are not good mates. You cannot set a preset for XDCAM EX. So I set it for XDCAM HD and then drop a clip onto the sequence and let FCP change it to XDCAM EX.
Haha - that makes me feel a lot better. I just had a first try at editing some footage from my new EX1 the other day and couldn't understand why it was behaving this way! I ended up doing just what you are.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Major Player

The sequence preset for XDCAM EX 1080p / 24/30 VBR is available in easy set up and your audio/video settings tab as well. That's where you set this up - not by selecting the timeline and going into sequence settings.
Once you use easy set up correctly your timeline is set of XDCAM EX - at least this happens on my system. Nothing changes when I drop my EX clips on to the timeline.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Wrangler

Hmm, I will have to look at this again. I did choose the 1080p24 VBR codec but am pretty sure FCP wanted to change the sequence setting when I dropped the clip into the timeline. Have not done any "real" editing yet, just playing around still.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

adding XDCAM EX settings for FCP

Perhaps because I have additional custom settings such as Blackmagic's my XDCAM EX settings were never added when they came available/updated. Looking at the FCP editing forum I have learnt the following:

Open the Final Cut Pro Additional Easy Setups in your Applications folder and COPY the ex settings to the Macintosh HD/Library/Application support/Final Cut Pro System Support/Custom Settings - folder. You can also trash the ones you will never use if you like.

Then delete some preferences (save a copy of your preferences such as Window layouts before you do this.)

Drag the file named "com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist" to the Trash
Double-click the folder named "Final Cut Pro User Data".
Drag the file named "Final Cut Pro 4.0 Preferences" to the Trash

Put back in your custom settings and restart FCP

Choose easy set up...
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #7
Trustee

Yeah, this has been a common problem. For some reason the XDCAM EX Easy Setup settings don't get installed where they should be. Only the XDCAM (non-EX) Easy Setup's are listed. Once you do that, things will get a lot easier when editing XDCAM EX footage in FCP.

One last thing, don't forget to change your Sequence Settings>Render Tab to "Render as ProRes". This also makes a huge difference when editing EX footage in FCP.
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #8
New Boot

because of this would you not recommend using the EX1 with FCP? FCP is my weapon of choice and im looking for a camera that works best with it, obviously the JVC GY HM series but im really liking the EX1 when it comes to capturing sport and movement.
Giles Campbell Longley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #9
Wrangler

It's absolutely no problem, you just have to set the sequence properly. And if you don't, when you drop a clip into a sequence FCP will tell you that the setting is wrong and ask if you want to change the settings to match the clip.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds