Finally, data writing onto the PDW-U1 for Macs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
I archive in 2 locations. But if both hard drives fail, isn't it possible to send it to a data recovery service?
Maybe, but it could be extremely expensive. About 7 or 8 years ago we had someone's drive fail at work and sent it out. This was back when drives were a lot smaller.

They charged per megabyte recovered. I can't recall the size of the drive, but it was certainly no larger than a few gigabytes and they salvaged a few hundred meg. I think the cost was in the $500-$1000 range.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis OKeefe View Post
If the EX clips are wrapped as an MFX will the Sony XDcam decks see them as video, or are the EX clips just transferred to the PDW U1 as data files?
In other words if I write to a PDW U1 then put it in an XDCAM 1500 deck will it show up in thumbnails and be viewable as video?
It is my understanding that the PDW U1 uses File Access Mode (FAM)similar to the XDCAM HD cameras to read and write files. It does not record video. The unit would always have to be connected to a computer via software to play back files.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #18
Major Player

Am I assuming correctly that these discs are re-writable?

Also, are we limited to the amount of data (with respect to the actual media) we can put on the disk? I've read other places where you could put data in a specific folder on the disk, but it was only a certain amount of data.

Last edited by James Huenergardt; August 18th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #19
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt View Post
Am I assuming correctly that these discs are re-writable? Also, are we limited to the amount of data (with respect to the actual media) we can put on the disk? I've read other places where you could put data in a specific folder on the disk, but it was only a certain amount of data.
Yes, rewritable. I think Sony claims 10,000 cycles and a 50 year life.

The new firmware eliminates the 500MB storage limit for general files, and allows you to use nearly all of the 23GB or 50GB disk for any type of files that you want to burn onto the disc.
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #20
Major Player

Thanks Doug.

I'm about ready to purchase one of these. I'm assuming I'll be able to put 6 8GB cards on one 50GB disc.

I have one project that contains 79 cards. That's going to cost me over $800 just to back the project up, OUCH!

Makes me think twice about just putting it all on DL DVDs for about 1/10th the cost.

Well, from now on, I will build in a budget for the 50GB discs for each project so it can be archived with confidence and the client will foot the bill for the discs.

Are there any storage devices (shelves, cabinets) that hold the XDCam discs? What about labeling?

Thanks,

Jim
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #21
Vortex Media

Hi Jim,

I think backing up footage on the 50GB discs will be a good solution until something better comes along. Just to be clear, though, I don't currently backup on those discs because the Mac firmware won't allow it yet. So I'm just speaking on "theory" until Sony releases the new software and I have a chance to see how it works in real life. I've already had a PDW-U1 for a couple of years because I also own a PDW-F350 and I use to import clips that were shot with that camera.

Each of the XDCAM discs comes with a couple of labels and it's own plastic case that stack nicely on a bookshelf. The clam shell case is a lot like a plastic Betacam case -- except a lot thinner.

We use MediaFiler to number our discs and keep track of what is on each disc. Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training Unfortunately it doesn't run on a Mac.

Doug
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #22
Major Player

Hmm, I'm a bit confused as I thought Phil just announced that Sony has the firmware which should be released any day now.

Can someone enlighten me on this?
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #23
Vortex Media

There's nothing to be confused about.
"released any day now" is not the same thing as being released and already tried and tested.
Sony has been talking about this update for almost a year.

I'm on two week road trip so it could be out right now, but it wasn't as of a few days ago.
I'm not going to say what it does or how easy it is to do it until I test it for myself.
Not even Phil claims to have actually used it yet.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:11 PM   #24
Regular Crew

checking in

Wow, not here yet, just Wow. I have given up.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM   #25
Major Player

I have just downloaded it and it appears and works as advertised. Now I need to get my Nano Flash files on that disk. Still testing. Stay tuned. Dropping 100Mb CD files into U1 clip folder, not cutting it yet. Ill try 50 Mb. This could be the sweet spot for EX 3/1/Nano.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:22 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dillon View Post
I have just downloaded it and it appears and works as advertised. Now I need to get my Nano Flash files on that disk. Still testing. Stay tuned. Dropping 100Mb CD files into U1 clip folder, not cutting it yet. Ill try 50 Mb. This could be the sweet spot for EX 3/1/Nano.
Curious to know why the 100Mbps files aren't working.
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:38 AM   #27
Major Player

It may be a Sony directory issue. When I say clip folder, I mean the root clip folder within the Sony Disk Directory. Issues may include the fact that when clips are added to the Sony optical disk, meta data and proxies are generated. By just dropping a clip from the nano flash into the clip folder of the optical disk may need these additional components or a work around.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM   #28
Vortex Media

I deleted this post because I spoke too soon.
BPAV folders and EX clips are completely compatible with both Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer

Last edited by Doug Jensen; September 3rd, 2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: To correct misinformation
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:40 PM   #29
Major Player

Doug,
I have been able to view the BPAV folders that were dragged to the optical disk user data via the Clip Browser. Try again
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM   #30
Major Player

Did you up the firmware on the U1?
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds