Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 4th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #121
Inner Circle

OK guys - have my Marshall now, and am delighted!

- weight ans size perfect (even for hand-held/shoulder mount)
- resolution just OK
- user-assignable function keys with False Colors, Peaking, Underscan and Pixel-to-Pixel make it a really Pro tool!
- and the added benefit: when not using my PAG brick, I can feed it from my BP-U30 battery that was gathering dust so far; with only 12 W of the Marshall power requirements, the little battery has enough juice to power it for a couple of hours.

BTW Still keeping my largish Manhattan 109A with 1366x768 resolution for those occasions when size doesn't (or DOES ?) matter, i.e. on the tripod with Letus, etc. But frankly, I think now that all this "true HD" for a field monitor is just a hype (including DP1). Of course, 800x480 in a 11" factor would be too low, though ! But for a 7", it's just enough.

Here are 2 pics of my Redrock shoulder mount rig. Please note the huge counterbalance (the PAG battery - 2kgs); also, when needed, I can still use the extended functionality of my EX1's own LCD thanks to the Hoodman loupe.

Old December 4th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #122
Regular Crew

Piotr - thanks for updating with your new gear and rig - that's a much more complete version of the RR setup than mine, but I've been thinking about the addition of a Marshall to my new RR shoulderMount.

It sounds like you're suggesting that the SD resolution of the Marshall is fine for what you need - and it's still a great advantage over the EX1's built-in LCD display? I've been wondering if the Marshall 70P was good enough or if the 651ST was a better option, although quite a bit more expensive. It appears that the biggest advantages of the 651 over the 70P are the transreflective coating, allowing it to be much more visible outdoors in bright light, as well as the higher resolution (although interestingly enough - not 16:9 widescreen - it's only 1024x768, not full 720p resolution).

Have you had a chance to see how the 70P fares outside or in bright light elsewhere?
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:00 AM   #123
Inner Circle

Guys, I just thought this thread deserves updating - please see my posts here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1480573

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds