Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 18th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #46
Inner Circle

You can see the full details of my current EX3 and NanoFlash rig here XDCAM-USER.com EX3 With NanoFlash Camera rig.
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
You can see the full details of my current EX3 and NanoFlash rig here XDCAM-USER.com EX3 With NanoFlash Camera rig.
Now THAT's a great rig, Alister!
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #48
Trustee

Is this the start of my one is bigger than yours, competition?

If so then I will go up into my loft and dig out the Meccano set. :-)

ps. Piotr, Mrs Oliver loves the music, are you selling the DVD?
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Vincent,

Here's our team's web site address:
Castello

Unfortunately, still in Polish only - but you can write an e-mail to castellogt@gmail.com (please quote me on that), and they'll be happy to help you (I'm not involved in sales personally).

My kind Regards to Mrs Oliver :)
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Is this the start of my one is bigger than yours, competition?

If so then I will go up into my loft and dig out the Meccano set. :-)
I don 't consider my rig to be big. If you want big I'll go dig out the old JVC KY2000 with CR4400 Umatic "portable" that I have in my loft. Last time I tried it still worked!
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #51
Trustee

Hang on for long enough and the JVC KYC2000 will probably come through the ceiling. :-)
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #52
Major Player

low cost solution

Hi
I have an EX1 and a Z1U and have tried many shoulder mounts. I have also made several with equally mixed results. I came across this item and purchased 2.
Amazon.com: Opteka Hands-Free Camcorder Shoulder Support: Camera & Photo

You can see it in use here http://www.vimeo.com/1658379

Both my crew and I have been very happy with them and are amazed at the low cost solution. It's made like a truck, works well and is easy to store. I would suggest putting a quick release from bogen on it for ease of use.
It's so good, we are evn using it on our little canon hfs10.
I highly reccommed it and I'd be very suprised if anyone would be disapointed.

Best, Craig Hollenback
Key West, Florida Keys, Key West attractions, Florida Keys hotels, Key West Information - Key West Travel Guide and attractions, videos online

Last edited by Craig Hollenback; September 18th, 2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: additional info
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I agree, but what about the EX1 users? I'd love to have a small, lightweight, unobtrusive device that would allow me to support the rig on my shoulder, while allowing me to use the camera's own handgrip with my right hand, with an LCD extension like the HoodLoupe against my eye, and my left hand free to support the camera and operate its controls at the same time.....
This is exactly what I want. I can chose to shoot with or without the shoulder mount. I can lift the whole thing off my shoulder to get a low or high angle (you can't do this with the opteka).

I've ordered the HoodLoupe setup for EX1. Now I just need to find the right shoulder mount, I'll probably end up having to rig something up or hack apart an existing one. basically I'd have to have a mount just below level and in front of my shoulder. Once I get the HoodLoupe I'll know exactly where the mount will have to be placed.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
This is exactly what I want. I can chose to shoot with or without the shoulder mount. I can lift the whole thing off my shoulder to get a low or high angle (you can't do this with the opteka).

I've ordered the HoodLoupe setup for EX1. Now I just need to find the right shoulder mount, I'll probably end up having to rig something up or hack apart an existing one. basically I'd have to have a mount just below level and in front of my shoulder. Once I get the HoodLoupe I'll know exactly where the mount will have to be placed.
Brett -

That is what I was searching for (a shoulder mount that would work with the HoodLoupe) and also one that was down low enough from the tip of the shoulder so that I could mount a Quick Release Pro 2 below it and be able to mount the Nanoflash on the QRPro2. I just ordered the shoulder mount and it is on the way (from Canada) - should have it next week and will post the results. Check out what it says under component 1 - SS2 Shoulder Rig: "When wearing the camera support, the camera platform can be positioned between 3-3/4" (9.5 cm) and 5-1/4" (13 cm) below your shoulder tip. That is, the base of your camera will be positioned between 3-3/4" (9.5 cm) and 5-1/4" (13 cm) below your shoulder tip. Using this information, verify if the viewfinder of your camera can be positioned at a suitable functional height." I have the HoodLoupe and have experimented with my camera attached to the QRPro2 (which raises it up about 2 1/2") and where I estimate the Spider 2 shoulder mount will place the camera and I think it will work. It should still work even if you have nothing under the camera or you could buy the Shape box to put under the camera to raise it up (look at the sample pix on the website).

Doesn't that sound like what you were describing?

Here is the link: Shape WLB - Spider 2 SS2200 camera support - there is also a spider 1 SS2100 without the extension arm. Go to the home page and look at the video from NAB showing the unit in action - it looks promising.

In case you are wondering what in the heck a QRPro2 is I am attaching a couple of pics of same along with a mockup of the Nanoflash (there is a Manfroto quick release adaptor attached to the bottom of it) - and I will put a Swit battery on the front plate to power the Nanoflash. I need to find the right shoulder mount since the QRPro2 weighs 1 lb as well as the Nanoflash which might be a bit much for extended handheld use.
Attached Thumbnails
Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3-dsc03455.jpg   Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3-dsc03456.jpg  

Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3-dsc03457.jpg  
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Hollenback View Post
I came across this item and purchased 2.
Amazon.com: Opteka Hands-Free Camcorder Shoulder Support: Camera & Photo

You can see it in use here CVP Shoulder Mount on Vimeo
Craig,

Many of us EX1 users know this device, after it was made popular on this forum by Philip Bloom. Yes, it's lightweight and unobtrusive - but its attachment to your body is so rigid, that:

- the camera moves up and down when you breath
- for the camera to tilt, you need to rock your whole body.

After some initial testing over a year ago, I never actually used it any more.

But that's of course just my opinion :)
Old September 19th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #56
Major Player

Thanks Piotr

Appreciate the feedback...Yes, thanks, I was aware of prior knowledge by users on this thread...we've had the EX1 since it's inception. Just thought it might be a low cost alternative to re-mention.
Most of our shooting in with the Sony WA attachment which as you know adds considerable front end weight. Additionally most of our shooting is hand held on a boat which is pitching in seas so the breathing issue is hardly noticed.
http://www.fishmonsterproductions.com
Our series starts 1-Q 2010 on Dish TV, DirectTV and regional cable in North America.
We are very excited to be on Untamed Sports and World Fishing Networks.

Yes, it does require tilting one's body, but so does most other units like redrock, etc unless you slip it on your shoulder which I find binds a little when I am soaked with sweat.
I need to have my hand on the focus ring at all times so the twin handle option won't work well for that.
I have used a short mono pod to a belt pouch, which worked well, but is awkward.
Tried a spider brace, can't free up my hands for camera controls.
Frankly, I still prefer a full size camera for balance and stability from the massive weight.
I too am searching for the perfect shoulder mount that makes the EX1 into a shoulder mount camera,,,BTW looking at the flip out viewfinder is not an option even with the hoodloop because the ergonomic geometry is just not there...it's too close to the camera body.
If I stuble across a solution I'll post it as we are always trying and building new rigs.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #57
Inner Circle

Thanks Craig!

Craig,

I've just watched the intro video on the web page you've posted a link to - looking great!

Yes, for this sort of action, the breathing motion of el cheapo shoulder mount is not an issue at all.

And yes - it does free your hand for camera control (actually, even both hands)...

Thanks for posting - when you find some other good solution, please make sure to notify us!
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Craig,

I've just watched the intro video on the web page you've posted a link to - looking great!

Yes, for this sort of action, the breathing motion of el cheapo shoulder mount is not an issue at all.

And yes - it does free your hand for camera control (actually, even both hands)...

Thanks for posting - when you find some other good solution, please make sure to notify us!
Pitor - take a look at Shape WLB - Spider 2 SS2200 camera support - of course more expensive but looks like good construction and can be hands free - they make a special belt with pockets for the rubber plate on the extension arm.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #59
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Pitor - take a look at Shape WLB - Spider 2 SS2200 camera support - of course more expensive but looks like good construction and can be hands free - they make a special belt with pockets for the rubber plate on the extension arm.
Looks interesting, Barry - but I already have given a try to this kind of supports, as well. Here is the one I've bee using: PAG Orbitor Advanced Camcorder support System

- and I must tell you I like mu current RedRock more! It is just closer to my body, doesn't breathe with me (as it's not supported on my chest or abdomen). Also, If you consider the spider with HoodLope, please note that - again due to the EX1 form factor - it will not go back far enough for your eye to meet the loupe, as the big u60 battery may prevent it!

The PAG does work great with other cameras though - I used it a lot with my old good V1E, which has LANC control, so - with a controller on the handle - you can control zoom AND focus constantly, while your left hand may operate the other controls when needed. The EX1 not having LANC, it's getting more complicated as you need to operate focus.
Attached Images

Old September 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #60
Major Player

Thanks for watching Piotr...

Thanks for watching the show trailer!
Here's my deal with small cameras.
I am old...59 to be exact but in good shape...except for the eyes. A pop out viewfinder 6 inches from my face is impossible to see, let alone in tropical sun, and holding an EX1 with a 2 lb WA adapter and large battery at arms length isn't an option either.
I started with my old betacam years ago...life was good. Moved to an Canon XL1, pretty nice also with the side mounted viewfinder and great stabilzer. On and on through a JVC DV500, DVX100's, Z1U, EX1 and now this one pound Canon HFS10. Try holding that steady...it doesn't even have an eyepiece viewer!
But it would be great if there was a shoulder mount that moved the EX1 camera eyepiece off set to the left to where a beta cam viewfinder would be and have a super padded shoulder mount on the right shoulder with a huge massive weight that would bring the rig up to about 16 pounds total. It's that simple...no dangling battery boxes halfway down your back, no bicycle handle bar grips, no chest mounts spearing you in the lung, just put the eye piece in the correct spot and put a huge weight on your right shoulder to balance it off.
Off to the drawing board I guess...did I mention that in my past life my profession was an Industrial Designer?
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds