Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Brett - Doesn't that sound like what you were describing?Here is the link: Shape WLB - Spider 2 SS2200 camera support - there is also a spider 1 SS2100 without the extension arm. Go to the home page and look at the video from NAB showing the unit in action - it looks promising.
I think this is getting close and it's worth a look. To me it seems like the screw on the shoulder mount might need to be a couple inches higher. Maybe it can be modified. The Red Mammoth one might work too, if it doesn't put the camera up too high.
Shape WLB - Red Mammouth RM4100 camera support

I'll be curious to hear your report.

Brett
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Alister, I am curious about the bracket that holds the V mount battery and Nano Flash. Is this part of the DM bracket or something else?

Thanks
David
David Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
I think this is getting close and it's worth a look. To me it seems like the screw on the shoulder mount might need to be a couple inches higher. Maybe it can be modified. The Red Mammoth one might work too, if it doesn't put the camera up too high.

Brett
Brett -

I am quite anxious to get the unit and try it out(my tracking info says it is in this country so hopefully will have it by midweek). If you look on that website there is an accessory called the SHAPE box made for putting batteries, hard disk recorders etc that will raise the camera up 2"- then you have another 2" play with the screw on the shoulder mount. I am attaching pics of the box mounted to a camera.

You are right about the Red Mammouth (where in the heck do they get those names??!!)- that would put the camera 1/2" above shoulder level - wouldn't be good for my setup since I have the QRPRO2 apparatus raising the camera up 2 1/2" and the camera would be too high for me but it could work for you. However, as I remember, the best position for viewing the HoodLoupe, getting a good eye seal and also not having your face being squished against the side of the camera is for the camera down a bit from the shoulder level so that you have to tilt the LCD viewfinder (and HoodLoupe) up and not down. Aslo, I don't think the Red Mammouth has the availability of the telescoping support which could be quite nice - since a lot of weight is still going to be transmitted to your arms and wrists.

From some of the old posts on here there have been positive remarks about these shoulder mounts but they are not well known outside of French-speaking Canada - the posts on here were by people who did not have English as their native tongue.

Perhaps these shoulder mounts are quite sturdy and work well and (as I am hoping)an "undiscovered gem".
Attached Images

Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM   #64
Inner Circle

David: The v-Lock/NanoFlash bracket is a quick release piece that I made up myself. It uses a small off the shelf quick release adapter with an IDX battery plate and some sheet aluminum.
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM   #65
Regular Crew

The Pag Orbitor has worked well for me, tireless and rock steady even after several hours use.

The PAG Orbitor & X1 System

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM   #66
Major Player

Quote:

Brett
Brett- received the SP2200 SPIDER II shoulder mount today and my initial impressions are quite positive. The fit/finish/workmanship of the unit is excellent. I ordered it with the 4 lb counterweight and glad that I did because it does take weight off the handles and if you use the telescopic arm support you are hands free just needing your hands to make manual adjustments to the camera - all the weight is on your shoulder and hip (or wherever you place the telescopic arm). With regard to the HoodLoupe - yes you can get a decent seal with the eyecup but you do have to crane your neck somewhat to achieve this. A lot of this depends on your body habitus - I am 5'10" 170 so it seems to work for me. I definitely think having the camera BELOW shoulder tip is important if you are going to use the HoodLoupe. I think this is probably the only shoulder mount that will work with my Quick Release Pro2 mounting platform (for the Nanoflash and battery) + using the HoodLoupe at the same time. I also would get the Shape Box to lift the camera up 2" or so (if you don't have something under it like the QRPRO2) but I did not disassemble my camera from the device and see where it is positioned using the adjustment on the shoulder assembly of the Spider II.

Shape WLB has revised their website and added a PRO line for people who want to use Matte boxes etc. : Shape WLB - Camera supports and equipment

i will post some pics when the Nanoflash and battery cables come in by the end of the week.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM   #67
Major Player

Barry,

Would it be possible to move the height adjustment screw up two inches on the shoulder pad? It seems like you could drill another hole and put a lock nut on the back of it after cutting away some padding. I think this would put the camera at the right height, since I don't want to put anything under the camera. I used to have a setup like that until I got a Sennheiser wireless mic, and I don't want to go back to it. I could maybe rivot the camera platform on once I get it in the right position - that would keep the knob from getting in the way of pushing the camera all the way back.

I think moving the platform up would also move the camera slightly closer to your body and maybe you wouldn't have to crane your neck as much. I just found out my HoodLoupe is on back order - so until I get that I won't be buying anything.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:33 AM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Barry,

Would it be possible to move the height adjustment screw up two inches on the shoulder pad? It seems like you could drill another hole and put a lock nut on the back of it after cutting away some padding. I think this would put the camera at the right height, since I don't want to put anything under the camera. I used to have a setup like that until I got a Sennheiser wireless mic, and I don't want to go back to it. I could maybe rivot the camera platform on once I get it in the right position - that would keep the knob from getting in the way of pushing the camera all the way back.

I think moving the platform up would also move the camera slightly closer to your body and maybe you wouldn't have to crane your neck as much. I just found out my HoodLoupe is on back order - so until I get that I won't be buying anything.
I really don't think that would work as it starts to bend after the reinforcing plate that holds the shoulder screw. For your purposes look at the Red Mamouth II - it looks like the camera can be brought back closer to your face (adjustment screw has a 6" play). It puts the camera only 3/4 " above your shoulder tip. Here is the link: Shape WLB - RED MAMMOUTH II camera support - RM4200 When you get the HoodLoupe this position could easily be replicated by just holding the camera in that position and see where the HoodLoupe comes. If it looks doable then you are in business.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:42 AM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
I just found out my HoodLoupe is on back order - so until I get that I won't be buying anything.
Look on the Hoodman website - all the components of the EX1 kit are listed as in stock- the HoodLoupe 3.0, the HoodRiser, the strap and the eyecup. You might give them a call and see if they would sell you all the components for the discounted price.
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #70
Major Player

camera support

Something worth considering as an alternative to shoulder mounts is the EasyRig. I've seen BBC and ABC guys using these where they need hand held and the rig is available to suit various camera weights. Not tried it myself, but will be doing so.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #71
Inner Circle

One of the biggest Polish video solutions supplier has this on their website (in Polish, but you can get the idea; it's a 3in1, extremely lightweight solution):

BEIKS Machulski - Stabilizator EAGLE TITAN - Profesjonalne kamery cyfrowe. Akcesoria do kamer i do studia.

It's mainly a stabilizer, but can be used as a shoulder mount, or from your hip; it weigh less than 0.5 kg! It can also be upgraded to a full body system with vest.

.. What do you think?

PS. Here is a Google-tanslated version - no too bad, actually :)
http://translate.google.com/translat...pis%2F344%2Fpl
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #72
Major Player

Piotr--How would you make it fit as a shoulder mount?
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #73
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
Piotr--How would you make it fit as a shoulder mount?
This picture is in the middle of the page.
Attached Images

Old September 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #74
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
One of the biggest Polish video solutions supplier has this on their website

.. What do you think?

Can you use it as a car jack too?
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #75
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
Something worth considering as an alternative to shoulder mounts is the EasyRig. I've seen BBC and ABC guys using these where they need hand held and the rig is available to suit various camera weights. Not tried it myself, but will be doing so.
Serena,

I've done some investigation, and although the idea is excellent, there are two things being show-stoppers for me at least:

-- the price (the Turtle model is not that expensive, but will not take much more than a naked EX1)
-- the way cameras are hung on this thing. With a matte box, 35 mm adapter + lens, monitor, brick battery etc. all attached via rails to the camera's tripod plate with those miserable 4 little screws, I'd never take my EX1 by its handle!

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; September 25th, 2009 at 07:56 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds