Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 25th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #76
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Bob is correct. As promised, 4 pics of my RR shoulder mount as is, after a long time trial & error testing. As you can see, the camera is almost on top of my shoulder (check its position relative to the shoulder pad). With the matte box and monitor, it's still front heavy (even with considerable counterbalance from the PAG battery, Tekkeon monitor battery, and soon to come NanoFlash on top of them). Not to mention my Letus between the camera and the matte box...

Judging from the relative position of the LCD and the shoulder pad, and using your imagination on where my head/eye would be - can anyone advise whether or not the Hoodman Loupe would fit? I guess it wouldn't - even though I wish it would, thus making the rig free of the monitor (which is now obligatory).

The Manhattan 10.9" HD monitor is great when on the tripod, but not with this shoulder mount arrangement!
OK guys, so I just received the Hoodman loupe, and - in spite of what I was expecting myself, or what others were saying - it is possible to use this configuration with the LCD/Hoodman, and get rid of the monitor and its battery weight!

The only thing I needed to do was to move the whole rig just an inch backward relative to the shoulder pad, and replace the big Hoodman eyepiece with the smaller, circular one.

My impressions on using the Hoodman EX1 kit with naked EX1 are equally positive (see http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1397023-post32.html)

Congrats Hoodman; thanks Lou!
Old September 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #77
Trustee

I'm thinking to roll my own shoulder support. After a lot of running (walking actually) and gunning my right arm was very weary. I don't think the solution needs to be complicated. One of the earliest devices posted here was a simple metal strap the went over the shoulder. Front has a release plate for the camera, back has a cage for a battery or any form of weight. I think such a thing needs to be custom made to fit or else be bendable to fit.
All that needs to be achieved is to get some of the weight off the right arm and reduce the torsion on the wrist. I think the later is more the problem than the weight.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #78
Major Player

Yeah Bob, I'm heading that way too. Every shoulder mount I look at seems to have something I do not like. Then there's the price. I'm still in the design stage but thinking of incorporating detachable rails into my baseplate design.

Here's my baseplate I knocked out one morning. The hardest part was finding the aluminum, but I found a piece in my shop. Total out of pocket might have been $1.50 for two longer metric screws that I did not have in my bins.
Attached Thumbnails
Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3-img_0064.jpg  
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Hollenback View Post
Hi
I have an EX1 and a Z1U and have tried many shoulder mounts. I have also made several with equally mixed results. I came across this item and purchased 2.
Amazon.com: Opteka Hands-Free Camcorder Shoulder Support: Camera & Photo

You can see it in use here CVP Shoulder Mount on Vimeo

Both my crew and I have been very happy with them and are amazed at the low cost solution. It's made like a truck, works well and is easy to store. I would suggest putting a quick release from bogen on it for ease of use.
It's so good, we are evn using it on our little canon hfs10.
I highly reccommed it and I'd be very suprised if anyone would be disapointed.

Best, Craig Hollenback
I bought one when Phil first raved about it. Like many commented, the chest pad makes it hard to shoot for more than a few seconds. When you need to breath, the camera bobs up and down.

So I cut the pad away from it's arm and bolted a telescoping golf ball retriever in it's place. Now I have an adjustable length arm that drops over my belt. Makes long, standing shots easier than with my D600 BetaCam rig. It's even a surprisingly good stabilizer for walking shots.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #80
Major Player

So I cut the pad away from it's arm and bolted a telescoping golf ball retriever in it's place.

Can you post a piccie of your adapter?
I thought about adding a very soft latex pad that would "soak" up your breathing rythm.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Ok, so, i see the link to the Opteka support....and freak out.....I ordered one right away. For $30 how can you go wrong? If I don't like it, it's not like I'm out a bunch of money. It never hurts to have options. I already have a wrist shot that works wonderfully, however, the arm still gets very tired. For wakeboarding, the wrist shot is awesome. For other scenarios this Opteka is awesome! On top of that I'll probably still get a really nice shoulder mount as well. Those generally leave my arms tired but seem to work better than the opteka or wrist shot for walking and shooting. Different tools for different scenarios. It never hurts to be prepared.
Nathan Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #82
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
This is exactly what I want. I can chose to shoot with or without the shoulder mount. I can lift the whole thing off my shoulder to get a low or high angle (you can't do this with the opteka).

I've ordered the HoodLoupe setup for EX1. Now I just need to find the right shoulder mount, I'll probably end up having to rig something up or hack apart an existing one. basically I'd have to have a mount just below level and in front of my shoulder. Once I get the HoodLoupe I'll know exactly where the mount will have to be placed.
Brett - I have some posted some pics with my new shoulder mount system (Shape WLB - SPIDER II camera support - SP2200) being used with the HoodLoupe: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1402150-post10.html

I found this sytem quite comfortable using it for two hours today - no shoulder strain and no weight supported by either hand - totally free to make the usual manual adjustments.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #83
Regular Crew

I still have some pics of my old design on-line if anyone is interested.

here's the gallery link;

My_Ex3_Mount

cheers,

Evan
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #84
Regular Crew

That's a cool design, Evan - however, I don't know if strapping a brick of C4 as a counterweight is a good idea... :)
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Brett - I have some posted some pics with my new shoulder mount system (Shape WLB - SPIDER II camera support - SP2200) being used with the HoodLoupe: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1402150-post10.html

I found this sytem quite comfortable using it for two hours today - no shoulder strain and no weight supported by either hand - totally free to make the usual manual adjustments.
Barry - thanks for posting the detailed pics - your pictures and description has put the Shape-WLB on the short list for me for stabilization options. A couple of questions for you, though:

I noticed in your pictures you were using the QRPro to raise the camera up to eye level. Would you think that Shape-WLB's Shape Box option would give you the same approximate room, albeit with half of the "accessory" space that you have with the QRPro? Also on this subject, is the Spider's ability to raise/lower the camera with the shoulder adjustment not sufficient to get the camera up to your eye, such that if you didn't have the QRPro, you could still get the camera up to eye level?

Also, in your pictures you have a waist strap that the support arm cup is sitting in for stability. What are you using for the waist strap? I find it odd that Shape-WLB doesn't offer any solution or guidance for this beyond what they have...
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Barry - one more question (sorry). It's not called out explicitly on the Shape-WLB website, but I wanted to confirm that unlike the DVTec MultiRig and associated stabilizer products, the Shape-WLB doesn't have a spring-loaded stabilizer arm - that the arm is rigid, and doesn't have any "play" in it? Does this, in your opinion, not cause your body's movement at the hip, for example (where you have yours resting), causing movement at the camera's level?
Old September 27th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #87
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mitchell View Post
Barry - thanks for posting the detailed pics - your pictures and description has put the Shape-WLB on the short list for me for stabilization options. A couple of questions for you, though:

I noticed in your pictures you were using the QRPro to raise the camera up to eye level. Would you think that Shape-WLB's Shape Box option would give you the same approximate room, albeit with half of the "accessory" space that you have with the QRPro? Also on this subject, is the Spider's ability to raise/lower the camera with the shoulder adjustment not sufficient to get the camera up to your eye, such that if you didn't have the QRPro, you could still get the camera up to eye level?

Also, in your pictures you have a waist strap that the support arm cup is sitting in for stability. What are you using for the waist strap? I find it odd that Shape-WLB doesn't offer any solution or guidance for this beyond what they have...
Quote:
Barry - one more question (sorry). It's not called out explicitly on the Shape-WLB website, but I wanted to confirm that unlike the DVTec MultiRig and associated stabilizer products, the Shape-WLB doesn't have a spring-loaded stabilizer arm - that the arm is rigid, and doesn't have any "play" in it? Does this, in your opinion, not cause your body's movement at the hip, for example (where you have yours resting), causing movement at the camera's level?
Hey Ryan -

Actually choosing the Spider II consisted of two factors - (1) the QRPro2 is a permanent (as far as I am concerned) addition to the camera - it serves as a Nanoflash and battery mounting platform and also an aide in handholding the camera not allowing the camera to flip to one side when you hold it with your right hand (the plate rests against your arm) -(2) I find that I have gotten used to the Hoodman HoodLoupe and do not want to be without it. The Spider II is the only mount that allows you to keep the camera significantly BELOW shoulder level so that when the QRPro2 is mounted it is still 1 1/2" below my shoulder peak. This is "eye level" for me as it allows me to tilt the HoodLoupe LCD combo DOWN so that my face doesn't rest against the fat part of the camera body. If you didn't have the QRPRO2 and had the camera adjusted at the top level - the bottom of the camera would be 2 1/2" below your shoulder tip - just try your camera out at this approximate level and see how comfortable that is.

Yes, you could use the SHAPE box to raise the camera up but if you aren't going to be using the HoodLoupe or adding an accessory holder below the camera then look around the SHAPE WLB website and this might be more suitable for your needs: Shape WLB - RED MAMMOUTH II camera support - RM4200 - with this unit the camera is positioned 3/4" above your shoulder peak and can be moved back and forth in a 6" slot.

With regard to the waist strap - it is quite good - Velcro - easy on and off and has two pockets that exactly fit the rubber plate at the end of the telescoping arm - it is from SHAPE-WLB - very new - just hasn't been put on their website but you can order it over the phone - it is definitely a good addition to this system.

With regard to your question about the arm - from the SHAPE website: "The TELESCOPIC SUPPORT ARM is a Manfrotto 233B Camera Mount Bracket (without the Manfrotto 143BKT camera plate). The arm can be extended from 14" (36 cm) to 20" (51 cm)." It IS spring loaded and has an adjusting bracket to stop it from moving but I think, even with the spring, it will still transmit some body movement.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Quote:
That's a cool design, Evan - however, I don't know if strapping a brick of C4 as a counterweight is a good idea... :)
Come in handy if there's too many paps around!
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #89
Major Player

Quote:
Serena,

I've done some investigation, and although the idea is excellent, there are two things being show-stoppers for me at least:

-- the price (the Turtle model is not that expensive, but will not take much more than a naked EX1)
-- the way cameras are hung on this thing. With a matte box, 35 mm adapter + lens, monitor, brick battery etc. all attached via rails to the camera's tripod plate with those miserable 4 little screws, I'd never take my EX1 by its handle!
That certainly is a big load to hold on a shoulder mount but never-the-less I carried the equivalent or more in my younger film days. The EasyRig 2 will carry it. The Turtle Strong will take the EX plus matte box and rails. Carrying by the handle isn't necessary since a simple bracket will transfer the load to the base of the camera/rails/whatever. I grant you not a cheap option to the simple mounts, but something to be considered. Apologies for my tardy response; you'll understand the reasons.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #90
Major Player

Quote:
OK guys, so I just received the Hoodman loupe, and - in spite of what I was expecting myself, or what others were saying - [b]it is possible to use this configuration with the LCD/Hoodman,
Can you post a picture with you and the Hoodman/RR combo? It would be much appreciated.

Brett Sherman
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds