The stock lens hood is worthless? Now what? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The stock lens hood is worthless? Now what?

OK, so I just unwrapped my spanking new EX-3 and much to my surprise, the 77 mm filters I have won't fit under the stock lens hood. A quick couple searches on this forum and it appears I either need to purchase slim filters or a new hood/matte box.

I don't really have a preference per se, but I guess if I have to spend more money, I'd prefer to spend it on what has the most amount of use down the line. I guess that's keeping the standard (stackable) filters and buying a matte box, right?

So, does anyone have a recommendation on an inexpensive (as I've pretty much shot the wad), functional, lightweight lens hood/matte box that will enable me to use the standard size filters?

99% of our shooting is run and gun documentary stuff in "fairly" controlled environments. I just need something simple, light, (hopefully) inexpensive.

thanks,

Brett
Brett OBourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Wrangler

Not sure if I understand... do you want to use screw-in filters with a mattebox?

If so, I think that will be a problem. I have the Century/Schneider mattebox and it's really nice. But it adapts to the lens using a 105mm screw-in "funnel" adaptor which would preclude the use of screw-in filters. They also recommend the use of rails (and I agree) so you're looking at something like $1,300 street price by the time you're done. You would need to use 4x4 filters.

DVMB W/A KIT 15MM SUPPORT EX1 - Schneider Optics

Cavision also has matteboxes which are less expensive than Century. Not entirely sure how they attach, but suspect something needs to screw into the lens.

I also have have the Century filter holder lens shade. It's much less expensive and lighter, but you will have the same issue with the funnel adaptor which is needed. It also uses 4x4 filters.

WIDE ANGLE SUNSHADE/FILTER HLD - Schneider Optics

Cavision makes some lens hoods like this. Don't think they will do what you want though.

Cavision Wide Angle Lens Hood

Offhand I can't think of a good solution for screw-in filters if you also want a lens hood... but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Not sure if I understand... do you want to use screw-in filters with a mattebox?

Cavision also has matteboxes which are less expensive than Century. Not entirely sure how they attach, but suspect something needs to screw into the lens.

WIDE ANGLE SUNSHADE/FILTER HLD - Schneider Optics

Cavision makes some lens hoods like this. Don't think they will do what you want though.

Cavision Wide Angle Lens Hood

Offhand I can't think of a good solution for screw-in filters if you also want a lens hood... but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist!
The Cavision Matte Box secures to the EX3 stock lens via a screw-in adapter ring. The box is quite functional, sturdy and a heck of a deal for the price. It too is best installed with rails and requires 4x4 and or 4x5.65 filters.

However, in re standard filters, I currently have a standard flanged (not slim) B&W 486 filter on my EX3 that sits quite comfortably behind the standard EX3 sunshade. This filter will accept the Cavision adapter ring into its threads without issue but I suspect that any further stacking of screwables might result in a degree of vignetting.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have these filters:

Formatt | 77mm Hi Def Circular Schott-Desag | BF 77-CP2000RH

and

Tiffen | 77mm Digital Pro SLR Glass Filter Kit | 77DPSLRKIT

None of them fit with the stock lens hood; it simply won't go back on. But sounds like I need 4x4 filters for a matte box, which makes sense, though it doesn't help either.

I guess I have to buy slimmer glass. Sucks.

B
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Wrangler

Maybe it's time to break out the gaffers tape? ;-)

Seriously, if you are going to replace the filters anyway, you might consider going with 4x4 glass and building a better system for future use. The sunshade I linked to will accept 4x4 filters and is reasonably priced: WIDE ANGLE SUNSHADE/FILTER HLD - Schneider Optics
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes. After a bit more reading I think you are right.

I'll still need a UV screw in filter though to protect the lens. And I'll need a screw in polarizer as well, right? From my search on B&H they have no 4x4 polarizer so I assume everyone uses screw in for that as well?

Thanks for the info. It's much appreciated.

B
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Major Player

You could go old school. Buy an adapter ring to go from the lens thread to your filter threads and then add a simple screw in lens shade to that.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett OBourke View Post
And I'll need a screw in polarizer as well, right?
This is why eventually you will probably want a mattebox with a rotating stage :-) See the polarizer video here: Schneider Optics

I worry about my lens as well, but don't want to use any additional filters to degrade the image (with internal reflections, dust, etc) so I don't use a UV filter. I suppose if I was doing a shoot where I was especially worried I would use one. But you can get a clear glass or UV 4x4 filters also.

BTW, if using that Century lens hood you will need to purchase the "funnel" 77mm to 105mm adaptor and filter holder separately. If you get the mattebox, they are included.
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #9
Sponsor: Westside AV

In my experience I use either a screw-in UV filter (slim I suppose) because all my 77 BW's work on EX3 stock lens.

Or I use a mattebox, no screw-in filter.

Early on when I started using mattebox on Betacam I got horrible results if I used a screw-in and mattebox 4x4's, because the alignment is not perfect on a mattebox most of the time especially on swing out units. You get a bunch of reflections between the screw-in and the 4x4. This is not a problem stacking 4x4's in a good mattebox.

So Run and Gun is a UV in stock EX3 hood. More careful work is always a mattebox with careful filter selection.

I end up with a lot of R&G shoots and the EX3 is still blowing me away with the quality I get w/o a lot of care.

Last edited by Olof Ekbergh; August 18th, 2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: edit
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #10
Trustee

Question for 4"x4" matte box users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Maybe it's time to break out the gaffers tape?
Hope this question isn't 'thread hijack', but is there such a thing as 'close-up dioptres' for 4"x4" matte boxes?

Fate has it that I need to shoot more and more stuff in very-close-up and I don't like having to take the EX1 lens hood off and have stuff so close to my precious front element. Screw-in diopters would be the obvious way to go, but I also want quick and easy access to grads, polas and promist (hence my TLS Kestrel fixation).

Is it, to misquote Prof. Boole, a case of And or Either/Or?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds