What's all the hubbub about rolling shutter? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #46
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Vincent - you're shooting PAL at 25 fps, not 30 fps aren't you?
Not always Tom, I am using 30fps for a lot of work these days, it opens up the North American market for my DVD sales and NTSC plays OK on a PAL system TV too. ( Call me old fashioned, but I still deliver all the work in SD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
It's only slo-mo that shows it up. The EX1 (unacceptably in my view) dictated the edit when it came to the slo-mo sequences, that's all I'm saying. The Z1's CCDs positively love flash, and I delight in the way slo-mo displays them.

It's all over now Baby Blue. CCDs have had their day.

tom.
Fair enough Tom, I am sure you know what is acceptable to you and what is not.
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Getting back to the "hubub"of CMOS Rolling Shutter:

I have used the EX-1 to record many things including sporting events and weddings. I have noticed skew on fast pans in sports and I've noticed 1/2 flashed frames in wedding footage - but the clients NEVER have. And they always comment on how sharp the picture is.

Yes, the artifacts are there and we see them because we know to look for them, and you might want to avoid CMOS for special effects work as has been stated, but the typical wedding/corporate client won't notice and in filmmaking you get to control the shoot to avoid these shortcomings.

In short, the artifacts are there, but I wouldn't let it stop you from shooting on an EX.

It's really an awesome camera for the price.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds