DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   My new "action" film shot with EX1 and Letus Extreme (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/320937-my-new-action-film-shot-ex1-letus-extreme.html)

Paul Frederick August 25th, 2009 01:20 PM

My new "action" film shot with EX1 and Letus Extreme

Balloons By Paul Frederick On ExposureRoom

An epic style war film with....kids? That was the intention anyway! My kid and nieces and nephews wanted to make an action film. So I cooked up this idea on how it would work. Since no one is a professional "actor" I kept the dialogue to a minimum. Its about 8 minutes long.

Shot mostly in 1280x720 24p. Used alot of overcranking to 60 fps for the slo-mo action scenes.

Enjoy!

Jonathan Shaw August 25th, 2009 04:31 PM

Very funny.... liked it.

Jon

Jason Davenport August 25th, 2009 05:09 PM

That was awesome, great work!

Mark Savage August 25th, 2009 05:38 PM

Excellent job.

Beautifully shot and staged.

Editing is nice ,too.

Bill Koehler August 25th, 2009 06:04 PM

And best of all, the kids look like they had a great time.

Nice closing line as well.

Brooks Graham August 25th, 2009 06:40 PM

Very nice.

I appreciated the understated use of the Letus. Sometimes people abuse them, like several entries in our city's 48HFP last week where they tried to get zero DoF _all_the_time_ which is, to me, quite annoying ... when a single spot on an actor's cheek is in focus but not the nose or ears. As if having nothing in focus makes it look "more film-like".

With great power comes great responsibility. Well done. ;-)

-brooks

David Warrilow August 25th, 2009 07:05 PM

Wow,
looks like it would have taken a looooong time to shoot! Full marks to your kids, great performances. (working with mine is like photographing scared meercats...). And it looks great.
Loved it.

David.

Jeremy Wilker August 26th, 2009 09:49 AM

Fun times

Very fun video. If I was one of those kids, no doubt this type of video certainly would've been one of my summer highlights! Cool that you all took part in making it happen -- have they all asked for their own cameras and Final Cut Pro stations now?

Ryan Sarver August 26th, 2009 12:02 PM

Color are great

Those colors look great. What were your PP setting with this?

Paul Frederick August 26th, 2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooks Graham (Post 1269496)
Very nice.

I appreciated the understated use of the Letus. Sometimes people abuse them, like several entries in our city's 48HFP last week where they tried to get zero DoF _all_the_time_ which is, to me, quite annoying ... when a single spot on an actor's cheek is in focus but not the nose or ears. As if having nothing in focus makes it look "more film-like".

With great power comes great responsibility. Well done. ;-)

-brooks

I agree Brooks! I did have my Nikon F2.8 30-70 zoom lens wide open all the time, but it still holds the sharpness quite well, to really go crazy, I can put it in macro mode, then we're talking inches of focus!

Paul Frederick August 26th, 2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Wilker (Post 1272100)
Very fun video. If I was one of those kids, no doubt this type of video certainly would've been one of my summer highlights! Cool that you all took part in making it happen -- have they all asked for their own cameras and Final Cut Pro stations now?

My son is learning the trade pretty well (he's the one that pops out of the bushes!) but it didn't take the others long to start running over to the camera to see the playback of each take! (Gotta love the REC REVIEW button on the EX!). They say never work with kids and animals, well, I'd like to add never work with water balloons either! We had a heck of a time getting them to pop. The actual water balloons you buy don't get very big, but if you use real ones....they don't break too easily!

Mark David Williams August 26th, 2009 02:36 PM

Nice one Paul great demo of composition framing editing

Well done.

Mark

Paul Frederick August 26th, 2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Sarver (Post 1272654)
Those colors look great. What were your PP setting with this?

Ryan,

Here's what I used...sort of a combination of what I found on here. For shooting people, I don't like the way skin turns "plastic" when the knee starts to kick in while using Cine-modes.

Here is what I used:

Matrix: On
High SAT
Level +20
Phase -4
R-G +75
R-B +0
G-R -17
G-B -31
B-R -26
B-G +12
Color Correction: off
White Offset: off
Detail: factory setting (Letus softens image enough)
Skin Tone detail: off
Knee: ON Auto Knee: ON Knee Sat level: 50
GAMMA: STD 4
Black: -5
Black Gamma: 0
Low Key Sat: 0

Hope this helps. I also did a little Magic Bullet Looks on a few shots that we shot as it was getting real dark one night to make it match. Mostly the stand off stuff at the end.

Also used the indiSlider for a few shots too!

Thanks for all the great comments!

Paul Frederick August 26th, 2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Koehler (Post 1269489)
And best of all, the kids look like they had a great time.

Nice closing line as well.

Thanks Bill. The kids didn't get the closing line but I thought it was fitting and could have a couple meanings!

Vincent Oliver August 27th, 2009 01:20 AM

Great fun, loved the timing and camera work.

Was expecting mum to get the final balloon.