EX-1 internally vibrating and blurry image. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 26th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Major Player

EX-1 internally vibrating and blurry image.

I couldn't find anything using the search function and I am curious if anyone else has encountered this. A colleague has an EX-1. We work together often. About a month ago the image on the LCD, viewfinder and media went blurry. It was like double vision except much worse. No adjustment settings would help anything. Fortunately, we had enough recorded for the day and wrapped. The next day the camera was fine. On another shoot a couple of days later, the same thing happened. We let it sit for a while and it was still blurry. On this second shoot, one of the crew who was taking gear off of the EX-1, to put on the second camera (Z7) and he noticed that the camera was vibrating internally. Hmmmm? When the owner took the EX-1 home that night he was checking out the camera and he noticed that when he flipped the camera upside down, the vibration stopped and the image was perfect again. So far, this "field repair" has worked every time. It goes blurry and starts vibrating. We dismount it and flip it over. It quits vibrating and goes back to normal function. And we continue shooting. Has anyone else experienced this? I would guess it has something to do with Image Stabilization but switching on and off seems to have no effect.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #2
New Boot

It sounds like image stabilization. Try resetting the camera. If that doesn't work send er in.
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Resetting the camera was the first thing that was tried.
Old August 29th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #4
New Boot

Same problem here, been having this problem for the last 6 months, the problem occurs mainly when the camera has started to get warm. I film in the middle east so for the summer months for outdoor filming I use a different camera. Solution turn camera off, turn it upside down turn it on and it solves the problem. I have found the problem occurs when the camera has been left on for a while, once I turn it off and back on again then the blurred images occur. I have found overheating is the main cause.
Jonathan Le Marchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Perhaps there is a "heat emergency" mode of the fan speed? Increased speed could cause vibration...
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I don't think there is a fan. It might be the image stabilizer or the focus mechanism oscillating. Does turning off steadyshot make any difference?
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #7
New Boot

No difference at all with turning off the stablizering.
Jonathan Le Marchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

There's a low speed fan in there. Sony has said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I don't think there is a fan. It might be the image stabilizer or the focus mechanism oscillating. Does turning off steadyshot make any difference?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Your best bet is to have Sony look at it.
We're sending ours in for a focusing issue related to the glass in the lens getting shifted during travel. Now it needs repair.
Old August 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Major Player

My friends EX-1 seems to do it more when it gets warm. It has gone into the "vib" mode when we decided to review a clip and it has gone into the same mode when we shut it off for a short time and then turned it back on fairly soon. And then once it just went soft in the middle of a shoot. The only common thread seems to be that it is always pretty warm. Unfortunately, the warranty has expired. I think it is related to the image stabilizer but turning IS on or off does not seem to effect it, once it has gone nuts.
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #11
New Boot

I had this problem on set a few months ago. Fortunately I had a second camera with me. It only happened while on battery power. Switching to AC cleared things up. Took it into Sony and they ended up putting in a new lens. Haven't had any problem since the repair.
Taran Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Re: EX-1 internally vibrating and blurry image.

Hello.
I just found this thread...
Today I had the exact same thing happen with my EX-3.
I was shooting in 37 C. so the overheating seems to be related.
Haven't tried to flip the camera or to reset it yet.
Has anyone found the reason in the time since the posts here???

I will appreciate any info!

Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds