New EX recording devices on the horizon! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Inner Circle

New EX recording devices on the horizon!

It's always good for us customers to have a choice, and for them manufacturers to have competitors, so I thought I'd share with you what I've heard from a reliable source (not to be revealed at the moment).

We'll be witnessing soon the launch of new recording solutions for the EX series. Including a new Expresscard USB adapter that is guaranteed to work with today's 32 GB SDHC cards, a new adapter + SSD drive (or just an SSD case for the end user to use his own drive) + various powering options. And much more, all at a very competitive price!
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
It's always good for us customers to have a choice, and for them manufacturers to have competitors, so I thought I'd share with you what I've heard from a reliable source (not to be revealed at the moment).

We'll be witnessing soon the launch of new recording solutions for the EX series. Including a new Expresscard USB adapter that is guaranteed to work with today's 32 GB SDHC cards, a new adapter + SSD drive (or just an SSD case for the end user to use his own drive) + various powering options. And much more, all at a very competitive price!
Sounds like you are talking about what e-films has already released.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

More or less; those considering similar solutions should definitely wait a while for the new offer to be officially announced.
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for letting us know. Based on past experience I believe we'll see a product of superior quality, at a better price and from a true Australian.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Thanks for letting us know. Based on past experience I believe we'll see a product of superior quality, at a better price and from a true Australian.
Absolutely, Bob. I really cannot say much more at the moment, but it looks like the company in question has learnt a lot from the market place experience, and is preparing a much higher quality solution for all of us (including all of you guys in Australia).
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
It's always good for us customers to have a choice, and for them manufacturers to have competitors
I agree!

I have heard a whisper suggesting the same thing Piotr and I understand the products will be impressive and at a decent price!

I will look forward to hearing more!

Cheers

Jamie
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts View Post
I agree!

I have heard a whisper suggesting the same thing Piotr and I understand the products will be impressive and at a decent price!

I will look forward to hearing more!

Cheers

Jamie
I don't know if this is what Piotr was referring to or not however MxM Express have released preliminary details here:MxM Express Up and Coming Products
This does look like a more workable solution, my only gripe would be not using a RA connector coming out of the adaptor card. Hopefully this will be addressed in the production version. I was also at first a bit taken aback by the lack of eSATA connectivity however thinking it through the decision to limit the interface to USB2 does make a lot of sense.
What I do find attractive is having the SSD powered from the camera. More and more I find the less bits and pieces I have hanging off the camera the better. On the other hand now that MxR are offering 32GB cards that will work I'm wondering how attractive is any SSD solution compared to two 32GB cards.
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Yes Bob - that's what I meant. Full overcranking capability for the first time!

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; September 9th, 2009 at 03:11 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
I don't know if this is what Piotr was referring to or not however MxM Express have released preliminary details here:MxM Express Up and Coming Products
This does look like a more workable solution, my only gripe would be not using a RA connector coming out of the adaptor card. Hopefully this will be addressed in the production version. I was also at first a bit taken aback by the lack of eSATA connectivity however thinking it through the decision to limit the interface to USB2 does make a lot of sense.
What I do find attractive is having the SSD powered from the camera. More and more I find the less bits and pieces I have hanging off the camera the better. On the other hand now that MxR are offering 32GB cards that will work I'm wondering how attractive is any SSD solution compared to two 32GB cards.
Interesting they are "working" on a device (MxM PC 10) for a desktop computer that will hookup to an internal USB port on the motherboard as well as having (eventually) the capability of USB as well as PCIe (for both MxM or MxR as well as SxS cards). There are already several companies - Siig, Avlab, and Startech that make these devices - see this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...c-desktop.html.

I have installed the Siig device on two desktop workstations and it works fine - the only caveat is you have to manually "scan for hardware changes" in device manager everytime you put in a new card. The devices are all in the $ 50-55 range.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Trustee

I'm very interested in these new products but i'm a bit concerned about how it's mounted, i'd like to see the hard drive mounted in some sort of robust caddy which can be mounted in between the camera base and tripod plate, that would be nice and neat and tucked out of the way.

Paul.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #11
Trustee

Paul,
it's not a hard disk, it's all solid state so bumps are not an issue. Aside from that though I agree, the less things hanging off the camera the better.
I did look at making such a mounting for something else a long time ago. Problem was the amount of machining involved makes these kinds of things in small production runs expensive. You still need clearance through the unit for it to attach to the camera and you need the fittings for the tripod release plate to attach to the unit. Also you raise the centre of gravity for the camera.
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
on the other hand now that MxR are offering 32GB cards that will work I'm wondering how attractive is any SSD solution compared to two 32GB cards.
Bob, are you sure you meant MxR in the above statement?

As far as I know, most people have had serious problems with MxR and 32GB SDHC card combos (apart probably from Craig Seeman, who has been lucky enough to get exceptionally high quality, early Sandisk 32GB cards).

On the other hand, MxM have researched the problem thoroughly, and their new adapter version now fully supports 32GB SDHC cards they mention here:

MxM Express Tips – memory cards (ATP and Transcend in particular).

As to their SSD solution, I find it revolutionary that it fully supports overcranking!
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Bob, are you sure you meant MxR in the above statement?
My bad indeed, I meant MxM.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Interesting they are "working" on a device (MxM PC 10) for a desktop computer that will hookup to an internal USB port on the motherboard as well as having (eventually) the capability of USB as well as PCIe (for both MxM or MxR as well as SxS cards). There are already several companies - Siig, Avlab, and Startech that make these devices - see this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...c-desktop.html.

I have installed the Siig device on two desktop workstations and it works fine - the only caveat is you have to manually "scan for hardware changes" in device manager everytime you put in a new card. The devices are all in the $ 50-55 range.
Barry - as I understand it, they are not "working on something that has long been on the market" , as you put it. Having recognized the current BIOSes' limitations in hot-swapping the PCIe interface, they simply are preparing a replacement to Sony's own SxS card reader - only to be put inside a PC, rather than being an external device with its USB cable, power supply etc. They do not mention any PCIe card; both MxM and SxS are intended to be read via USB interface, and both hot-swappable as such.

From this point of view, it's a completely new solution!
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Barry - as I understand it, they are not "working on something that has long been on the market" , as you put it. Having recognized the current BIOSes' limitations in hot-swapping the PCIe interface, they simply are preparing a replacement to Sony's own SxS card reader - only to be put inside a PC, rather than being an external device with its USB cable, power supply etc. They do not mention any PCIe card; both MxM and SxS are intended to be read via USB interface, and both hot-swappable as such.

From this point of view, it's a completely new solution!
I read that in a hurry and didn't realize it was a Sony replacement. Anyway - I do love the download time with the other devices as mentioned with the SxS cards.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds