Snow Leopard and SxS cards - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben McElroy View Post
great find.. i was about an hour away from installing snow leopard on all of my systems.. Did anyone try it with the sony reader? or via usb from the camera?
Yes, it will work using the Sony SxS card reader but I too got a Kernal Panic when inserting the card into my MBP.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #17
Major Player

Yep, confirmed on another forum by a quote from a Sony rep. The SxS drivers are not Snow Leopard ready. The actual release date is inferred to be at least a few months out. The official response was "TBD".

We really shouldn't be surprised. Sony is usually late to the party with software drivers. At least when they do come out they should be good.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Snow Leopard

Matt, thanks for dipping your toes in so quickly!

Did you go further to discover if, under Snow Leopard, FCP works APU with EX files that have been offloaded from cards? I assume the SxS driver is only needed for the offload process (for us, on our MacBook Pro), and guess that once the files are offloaded (for us, via the MBP onto our MacPro drives), FCP / Log&Transfer and EX files are fine, so ok to install Snow on the MacPro.
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #19
Major Player

So is it OK to install Snow Leopard on a Macpro and bring the footage into FCP with log and transfer through a USB from the EX3?
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
So is it OK to install Snow Leopard on a Macpro and bring the footage into FCP with log and transfer through a USB from the EX3?
So, with the usual caveats in place, yes. There appears to be only one component of our workflow that is broken*: the drivers supplied by Sony to read genuine SxS cards in the ExpressCard slot on Apple laptops. Sony must issue an updated SxS driver before that functionality will work again under 10.6. There have been reports of success reading the SxS cards in the Sony USB reader, from the camera itself using the USB cable that came with the camera, and with all the various twitchy SDHC solutions out there.

AFAIK, there have been no reports of XDCAM Transfer or Clip Browser misbehaving under 10.6.

Bottom line: once you get the footage off the SxS cards, it's the same as it ever was - you just can't use the ExpressCard slot to read genuine SxS cards in Apple laptops until Sony fixes their driver. (how long it will take Sony is anyone's guess, but plan on it taking months and months)

(*) I haven't heard anything about the FAM driver or the XDCAM disc driver under 10.6 - can anyone confirm or deny that those work under 10.6?
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #21
Regular Crew

For those who are upgrading their laptops with Snow Leopard and had previously installed the SxS driver, it might be a good idea to remove the driver from your system until Sony provides us with an update. This will prevent any kernel panics if someone places an SxS card in the laptop. Kernel panics are bad and should be avoided. ;-)

On the SxS driver .dmg file is an un-installer.
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #22
Trustee

Just got Larry Jordan's Final Cut newsletter and he suggested no one upgrade to Snow Leopard yet because lots of software is not yet compatible and it will be months before it is. Larry said this is typical with major system upgrades as developers need to wait until the system is out of BETA to finish upgrading their software.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:19 AM   #23
Regular Crew

That settles it.. SL is shelved until further notice... I'm only out 50 bucks..
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:09 PM   #24
Inner Circle

I started a separate thread on using XDCAM Transfer with Snow Leopard so it all doesn't become a behemoth thread jumble.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...-transfer.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:26 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hey guys

If i hadn't try to import SXS on my snow leopard mac today i would have been screwed on a job tomorrow..

Found a workaround. Just connect your camera through USB. Don't need to install sxs drivers. Works fine
Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:09 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Aaargh! I just installed Snow Leopard! Wish I'd have checked this thread out before I did
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:10 AM   #27
Inner Circle

It's not always possible to stop a shoot to offload from the camera. Not a good workaround. Latest "rumor" is that Sony will come out with a fixed driver this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyvind Stokkan View Post
Hey guys

If i hadn't try to import SXS on my snow leopard mac today i would have been screwed on a job tomorrow..

Found a workaround. Just connect your camera through USB. Don't need to install sxs drivers. Works fine
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:14 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
It's not always possible to stop a shoot to offload from the camera. Not a good workaround. Latest "rumor" is that Sony will come out with a fixed driver this month.
Sony is so slow with everything.. I'll believe it when I see it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds