DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Snow Leopard and XDCAM Transfer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/344810-snow-leopard-xdcam-transfer.html)

Craig Seeman August 31st, 2009 02:06 PM

Snow Leopard and XDCAM Transfer

Using XDCAM Transfer 2.10 in OS 10.6
It doesn't generate thumbnails
Error message
"The clip thumbnail could not be saved to the cache as it was an unrecognised format."
Options are Cancel All Tasks and OK
The error will happen with each clip you select.
It will still re-wrap them to MOV.

If you try to reinstall XDCAM Transfer you will get an error regarding the .kext not being compatible.

Obviously Sony is aware of the lack of compatibility but I think we should document them. Given the number of people getting new Macs and Sony's comments about not fixing this possibly as late as next spring Sony may lose a good portion of the Mac market.

Andy Wilkinson August 31st, 2009 02:15 PM

See here also for more info:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...w-leopard.html

Simon Wyndham September 3rd, 2009 05:45 AM

Quote:

Obviously Sony is aware of the lack of compatibility but I think we should document them. Given the number of people getting new Macs and Sony's comments about not fixing this possibly as late as next spring Sony may lose a good portion of the Mac market.
This is an extremely valuable point. It is all very well for people to say "you shouldn't install Snow Leopard on existing production machines yet" but that doesn't solve the problem of people purchasing new Macs for use with XDCAM EX and HD etc.

It is disappointing that new drivers and software are not forthcoming. SL has been on the horizon for quite some time now and really should have been accounted for.

Paul Vlachos September 25th, 2009 07:58 AM

this worked for me

This post solved the problem for me, at least until Sony updates the software:

"I was able to resolve the thumbnail error in Snow Leopard by installing Sony XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1. I was not able to find the 2.8 installer like some others were able to try on this thread.

After I installed 2.5.1 and saw that it worked, I then tried to upgrade to version 2.10 but got the thumbnail error. I had to trash the following items to reinstall 2.5.1 and make it work again:

1. /Applications/XDCAM Transfer
2. ~/Library/Application Support/Sony XDCAM Transfer

After trashing the above two items and reinstalling XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1, the thumbnail error went away and everything seemed to work on Snow Leopard.

I am also using the latest SxS card driver version 1.0.4 from Sony.

Here are the download locations for the software I installed:

1. Sony XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1 - SONY XDCAM EX
2. Sony SxS Drivers 1.0.4 - SXS Drivers

Hopefully others will have the same luck that I did after trashing the files/folders above and installing these versions of the software."

Simon Wyndham September 25th, 2009 08:55 AM

Considering that the people who make Parallels Desktop were able to get an update out in a couple of weeks for something that emulates an entire operating system, the fact that this is going to take so long is rather disappointing to say the least.

Craig Seeman September 25th, 2009 09:18 AM

I'll add that Sony USA site still doesn't have the 1.0.4 SxS driver on it and still has no mention of Snow Leopard compatibility.

My only conclusion is that there must be very serious problems internally at Sony USA if they can't manage such simples tasks as posting the SxS driver or a simple mention of the lack of compatibility with Snow Leopard.

Assuming there's at least ONE person in the entire world wide company that has visited any professional forum, they'd have some "call to action" at least from their marketing department even if the tech department is incapable of the fixes necessary.

Markus Bo October 12th, 2009 12:31 PM

Any news on Sony's update?
Markus

Craig Seeman October 12th, 2009 12:43 PM

Only anecdotal reports that people have received from Sony which seems to indicate sometime between Fall and next Spring(!!!).

There are now people who are buying new Macs trying to scramble to get copies of Leopard to downgrade from Snow Leopard.

Last I checked Sony USA site doesn't even acknowledge the existence of Snow Leopard let alone provide a warning or advisory or any mention of updates ever happening. They don't even mention the new Express card driver that's out for the Laptop issue.

Craig Seeman October 12th, 2009 05:30 PM

I wouldn't cal that a "fix" so much as a workaround. Sony is taking far too long to fix this IMHO.

Denis OKeefe October 12th, 2009 06:59 PM

I need the XDcam HD 422 codecs that came with the later versions of XDcam transfer - anyone know if they will work with 2.5.1? I'll try it tomorrow if no one has already.

Daniel Goyette October 14th, 2009 06:52 AM

I cant access Sony Pro USA Website since a few days from my location in Canada , i use MAC OS X 10.5.8 and Safari 4.0.3 .

Can a Canadian member can confirm this , maybe Sony USA dont like my informative posts and decide to block all canadians visitors.

Can USA members can visit Sont Canada Website .... i know i can visit Sony UK Website so i think there a little Paranoia from Sony USA.

Craig Seeman October 14th, 2009 07:03 AM

I'm from USA and can access both USA and Canadian sites. Canada tends to post updates before the USA site so I'm actually there first. USA site still doesn't have Express slot driver 1.0.4 for Snow Leopard laptops but Canada does for example. Basically you're not missing much if you can't get to the USA site because you're going to see updates on the Canadian site first.

Barry J. Anwender October 14th, 2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Goyette (Post 1432065)
I cant access Sony Pro USA Website since a few days from my location in Canada , i use MAC OS X 10.5.8 and Safari 4.0.3 .

Can a Canadian member can confirm this ....

Daniel, I am using 10.6.1 and Safari 4.0.3 on a MacPro and have accessed Sony Canada's site to download their latest drivers:
XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1
SXS Device Driver 1045050

However, I did discover that Sony Canada now has two different web pages, a new one for support with new links that point to a blank download page: SONY XDCAM EX
Then the old one with the current drivers: SONY XDCAM EX

Give that last address a go and you should be in business, Cheers!

Barry J. Anwender October 14th, 2009 08:11 AM

I ordered a 17" MacBook Pro yesterday and it is scheduled to arrive within the week. Snow Leopard is pre-installed and it will be interesting to see how it works with Sony's latest drivers.

As most folks have observed, Sony Broadcast division's software management is indeed frustrating and dreadful, be it XDCAM drivers or EX camera firmware updates. One can only hope they are doing diligence to get up to speed in a timely fashion that will serve our EX cameras--as working customers.

Thanh Nguyen October 15th, 2009 01:47 AM

I'm pulling $8400 cash out of my pocket ready to put on the table for EX3 but after reading some of the so call customer support i thinking should i pull my money and put it back in my pocket. I'm a Canon guy but ready to do the SS work flow. One question about new MACBOOK Pro how you do guys get the footage in the the system fast when it don't have an express card??? is there a Firewire 800 Express card reader for the SxS?? i'm looking for my Mac Pro Thankx