EX3 Grip Strength - Casual Thought at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 1st, 2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 Grip Strength - Casual Thought

I understand the EX3 stock lens was built to support the weight of the camera body for shoulder photography and other hand-held techniques. Except I can't help but wonder how the hand grip can withstand so much pressure? Most camera manuals tell you never to support the camera by its lens, but interchangeable lens cameras almost rely on this.

Do any of you EX3 users take caution with the fact your grip is really only connected to your glass and not your camera? I find it unnerving, but I am new to the interchangeable world, am I missing something?

Also does anyone think the mic/handle grip is a bit flimsy?

Sorry if there is already a thread on this, couldn't find it if there was.
Glynn Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Glynn and all EX3 users, please note that I passed thru a horrible experience a few months ago. Just 7 months into using my EX3 (I use it entirely as a shoulder mounted camera not on a tripod), just as the bridal car was approaching the church (!!!) the strap of the lens grip tore apart from the thumb side!!!! The camera almost fell off my shoulder - it was only some quick reflexes that saved it from falling. I had to spend the whole wedding mass, savagely gripping the lens with no strap support ending up with severe wrist strain.

When I went home I realised that the strap which goes inside the lens grip have a threaded lip which worked itself loose! This was replaced under warranty by a new strap which takes only about 5 minutes to do. However the experience unnerved me and I still cannot feel confident in putting a lot of pressure on the strap.

As a precaution I have put on the original camera strap on the camera and I now always put the strap across my neck when using the EX3 as a shoulder mounted camera. By this way should the strap work itself loose again, the camera is prevented from falling to the ground by the strap against my neck.

Since no one has ever mentioned such a problem, I have assumed that my original strap must have been defective.....
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

Coming from more years than I like to think about with Beta and other full size cams.

I don't recall ever having a problem with a removable lens. Those cameras are way to heavy to even think about picking up by the lens handle.

And I have had no problems with over a year of using an EX3. Maybe my muscle memory is programmed to not pick up by lens handle.

I have shot with handy cams and they are so light that I can see how you could develop that habit.

My guess is that the EX3 is on the edge of being able to take that. I would just use caution.

Most of the time I shoot hand held I still have a matte-box, wireless mike, eye light etc. So I handle the EX3 more like a Full size cam.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:41 AM   #4
Trustee

Okay, I don't get this thread. From as far as I can tell, the hand grip on the EX3 is connected to the camera body not the lens. That way you can remove the lens and replace it with another lens and still use the same servo zoom.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this. (I'm been wrong many times before)
Old September 1st, 2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this. (I'm been wrong many times before)
Okay, I'll break the news. You're wrong. :-)
The grip is part of the lens. When you change lenses (unless it is an SLR lens) the new lens will have a grip and zoom control of its own.

I've supported full-size 30 lb. Betacams by the grip only during the odd hand-held manuever and never had a problem. If the lens is tight, there's no problem. Letting your lens come loose is another issue altogether.

In fact, the lens mount on the EX3 is probably 10x stronger than the tripod mount.
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Trustee

I'm wrong? Crap! hehehehehe

Actually this is a good thing, because when ever Letus get's around to releasing a "proper" EX3 relay lens, I'd rather not have the zoom control piece sitting there in the way. :)
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Major Player

My XS lens worked its way off my EX3 back in early January, even though the lock was on. I always check lens/body security before picking up the camera.
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Issko View Post
My XS lens worked its way off my EX3 back in early January, even though the lock was on. I always check lens/body security before picking up the camera.
Yeah, the "lock" is completely useless. I keep the bayonet ring as tight as I can turn it and it has never loosened up on its own. I can see how it could happen, though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds