DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony UWP-V vs Seinny G3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/349637-sony-uwp-v-vs-seinny-g3.html)

Steve Kalle September 1st, 2009 07:22 PM

Sony UWP-V vs Seinny G3

I need a wireless setup with ENG mic and can't decide between the "EW100 G3 Wireless ENG Kit" from B&H and the "UWP-V Series Wireless ENG Single Deluxe Kit". Both are roughly the same price($1k).

Sony UWP includes:
* URX-P2 Receiver
* UT-PX1 Plug-in Transmitter
* F112 ENG Handheld Microphone
* UTX-B2 Bodypack Transmitter
* ECM44B Lavalier Microphone
* Pelican 1200 Case
* Additional Accessories

G3 Kit includes:
* G3 Camera Mount Receiver
* G3 Belt-Pack Transmitter
* G3 Plug-in Transmitter
* Lavalier Microphone
* Electro Voice RE50/B ENG Microphone
* Shoe Mount Extender
* Pelican 1200 Case
* Microphone Flag

*****OR*****
G3 Deluxe Kit($1300)
* CA2 Shoe-Mount Adapter
* CL 1 Jack Cable
* CL 100 XLR Cable
* Voice Technologies - VT500 - Flat Frequency Lavalier Microphone - 1/8" (3.5mm) Mini Connector for Sennheiser EW Series (Black)

Everything else is the same as the regular kit.

What about the different frequencies - Sony has 30/32 or 42/44 to choose from and the G3 has A/518-554 or B/626-668.

Any other parts needed to hookup to an EX1?

THANKS

Mitchell Lewis September 1st, 2009 07:39 PM

I don't think you could go wrong with either system.

Just bought two copies of the Sony UWP-V6 systems. But honestly, I borrowed a friends Sony V6 system and it worked great. That was our main reason for buying it. Since then, I've found that Sony has continually updated their wireless systems adding features every time they do it. I looked at the G3 at NAB this year (I think they told me there was a G4 coming out......or maybe that was the G3....can't remember for sure). Anyway, the things I look for in a wireless set up are:

1) Small microphone so it can be easily hid. Sony's newest systems have much smaller microphones then they have had in the past. Almost the size of a ECM-77.

2) Easy to mount/connect to camera.

3) Quality of build. Are the units encased in metal or plastic? (Sony is metal)

4) Drift free reception. I haven't used them much yet, but so far I haven't had one glitch.

5) Battery life. The Sony transmitter and receiver lasted about 8 hours when I used it on a long shoot last week.

Sorry I don't have any info on the G3. I'm pretty sure it's a great unit as well.

Steve Kalle September 1st, 2009 10:16 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question but the setup with wireless lav and handheld mic, can both of them be used at the same time with just the one receiver? If so, do they create 2 separate audio tracks?

Alister Chapman September 2nd, 2009 01:11 AM

You need a separate receiver for each transmitter and you need to set each transmitter/receiver pair on to their own channel.

The Sony UWP receiver is a diversity receiver, while the G3 is not. The Sony should suffer from less signal drop outs as a result. In addition the Sony transmitter has a range of power levels so you can choose a low power level to save battery power or use high power if you need a stronger signal.

I have both, a much prefer the UWP.

Ronn Kilby September 2nd, 2009 08:52 AM

Fwiw

I use 2 Sennheiser G2 TX/RX with Tram 50 lavs. They sound better than the Sennheiser lavs that come with the units, and are easier to hide. I also use the Sennheiser plug-on TX with the MHK-60 shotgun or a Shure dynamic handheld mic. Works great. I plan to upgrade to Lectrosonics this year. Lot more money but really heavy duty. I just sent a G2 TX back to Sennheiser yesterday for repair - high pitch noise - $90 out of warranty.

Alister Chapman September 2nd, 2009 09:45 AM

The Trams would also help the Sony UWP's The actual mic capsules are not bad, but they are big by todays standards and lack a little in top end response.

Nick Wilson September 2nd, 2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1300908)
The Sony UWP receiver is a diversity receiver, while the G3 is not.

Allegedly the G3 is a diversity receiver, using the AF cable as a second antenna. The G2 wasn't diverse.

N

David C. Williams September 2nd, 2009 05:28 PM

The G3 has antenna diversity, but not receiver diversity. It still only has one receiver, just switches between two antenna, one being the XLR cable.

Brett Sherman September 3rd, 2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1299930)
G3 Kit includes:
* G3 Camera Mount Receiver
* G3 Belt-Pack Transmitter
* G3 Plug-in Transmitter
* Lavalier Microphone
* Electro Voice RE50/B ENG Microphone
* Shoe Mount Extender
* Pelican 1200 Case
* Microphone Flag

If you go with the Sennhesier. You might want to skip the kit, and buy individual components. You can get an SKP 2000 plug-on transmitter instead of the 100 series. This would allow you to phantom power a microphone. There is no Sony equivalent to this. That's one reason I'm going with Sennheiser.

Alister Chapman September 3rd, 2009 11:02 AM

I didn't realise it used the XLR cable as an antenna. The sony is antenna diversity too so there shouldn't be much difference. But I do find the Sony RX to have the edge.

Mitchell Lewis September 3rd, 2009 11:37 AM

The newest model UWP has much smaller microphones that what they've had in the past. Almost as small as a ECM-77 (Sony's smallest lav)

Warren Kawamoto September 3rd, 2009 01:40 PM

I've been using 2 UWP units and have been very pleasantly surprised by it's size, quality, and performance. It's range is almost as good as my Lectrosonics, and I've NEVER experienced a dropout or hiss hit.

Brent Occleshaw September 4th, 2009 01:09 AM

One of the main reasons that I have been using the UWP series has been the line input facility on the transmitter. The standard mics are better than the old ones used to be and thar range is good too. No hiss or dropouts either.

Nick Wilson September 5th, 2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Williams (Post 1303967)
The G3 has antenna diversity, but not receiver diversity. It still only has one receiver, just switches between two antenna, one being the XLR cable.

I guess it must have two receiver front ends, so that it can determine signal strength for both antennae and decide which to feed to the AF section.

Dave Morrison September 13th, 2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Occleshaw (Post 1309863)
One of the main reasons that I have been using the UWP series has been the line input facility on the transmitter. The standard mics are better than the old ones used to be and thar range is good too. No hiss or dropouts either.

I know my G2 series can handle Line Level input as long as you are using the right input cable:

Sennheiser | CL-2 Transmitter Line Cable 1/8"-M to | CL2

I'm not sure if the G3 series does it the same way or not.

dave