EX-3 Nikon Adaptors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Closed Thread

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Major Player

EX-3 Nikon Adaptors

Hi
I Have been very happy for my EX3 nikon adaptor from "mtf". With that I made a lot of sharp footage with my Sigma 120-300mm lens. Only problem I had was when I touched the focus - the adapter could not quite hold the lens steady. The small copper bands cannot hold the lens tight. I made a lens support and now it works well.

I have bought an Adaptimax too - or two. This can hold my nikon 200 mm macro, sigma 180mm macro and my sigma 20 macro very tight and there is no wobbling when touching the focus or iris.

My only complaint about Adaptimax is that you can only order 1 piece at a time on their homepage. This makes it a little expensive when you do not live in the UK.

Does anyone knows where to buy the plastic caps for the adaptimax on the EX side (or the original EX3 lens) . I Like to have a Adaptimax converter on every lens, to make the shift very quicly.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Bo, I didn't know the other brands of adapters were wobbly, but as you know the Adaptimax-Plus is rock solid.

I don't know if it is more cost effective that ordering from UK, but Vortex Media sells the Adaptimax+Plus in the U.S. You can order as many at one time as you want. Adaptimax Plus - Nikon Lens Adapter

Although the website says we will only ship them to the U.S. and Canada, we will ship to Denmark if you don't mind paying a little extra for freight and insurance.

I don't have any information on caps. I keep my own Adaptimax+Plus in a small zippered case (made for a digital camera) with a carabiner attached to my camera bag so it won't get lost. Having an adapter on every SLR lens makes sense, but I don't know where to get caps that will fit the EX side. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Major Player

bo

did you put the same wobbling lens on the adaptamax and find a difference in the focus?

I'm seeing some jumping of the focus but it seems to be from the lens focus ring not being tight enough.
Old September 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Major Player

I can tell you that after using MTF Nikon to EX3 adaptors for more than a year now - they are fantastic devices!

There is absolutely no effect on the image quality as there is no glass in them - basically just a metal ring. I often see the "wobbling effect" which is caused by heat/moisture in the air/deferent density air zones or related factors. It is especially noticeable when working with very long lenses from long distances.

It will happen with every camera and every long telephoto lens under certain conditions of heat/humidity and as I said has nothing to do with the MTF adaptors.

Cheers,
Ofer
http://www.oferlevyphotography.com
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Correct. Ya canni change the laws of physics Captain!
Steve
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

ps Ofer, any more clips to blow us away with after those ospreys!? You got the slomo workflow with the XDR sorted now? Are you getting a Nano?
Steve
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Major Player

My problems was that when touching the focus ring on my Nikon lens, the hole lens was sitting very loose on the "mtf" adpter. This made the captured picture very unstable without a lens support. On the Adatimax converter I do not have that problem and it can be used with my 180 mm sigma macro lens without problems. The problem seems to be the soft copper metal strings on the "mtf" adapter that cannot hold the lens firmly witout a lens support.
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I'd have thought that any lens over about 150mm should have a support for just this reason, as close to the focus ring as possible.
Steve
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #9
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
I'd have thought that any lens over about 150mm should have a support for just this reason, as close to the focus ring as possible.
Steve
I don't know whether other brands of adapters wobble because I haven't tried them, so I'll have to take the word of others.

But, I can assure you that the Adaptimax is rock solid and there's no need for supports with the lenses I own. I use mine 90% of the time with a Nikon 300mm f/4 and the other 10% with a Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8. Both of those are pretty hefty lenses and the mount is rock solid. Perhaps if I jumped up to a 400mm f/2.8 I'd want some extra support, but I'm not buying one of those anytime soon.

The 300mm lens has a very accurate and smooth focus ring. The 80-200 is a little sloppier, but that is the fault of the lens and has nothing to do with the mount. You have to realize that SLR lenses are not really designed for smooth follow-focus. Compare the cost of an SLR lens to a true broadcast lens. That is one of things that gets compromised.

But, with a little practice, and the right lens, you can get some amazing results.
Old September 5th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Major Player

The Nikon lens mount is a fairly flimsy affair even as made by Nikon. The lens is pulled back into the mount by sprung strips that cannot be reasonably expected to hold a heavy lens tightly. In the Nikon this does not matter much as when hand holding one supports both the lens and the camera body. In the case of the longer lenses it is normal to attach the lens to the tripod head so that the body is supported by the lens and as the camera body is comparatively short there is not much leverage acting on the mount.

I know it has been done but it looks very scary to me and that is to hang the EX3 body from a tripod mounted lens. It is scary because the 4 lens mount screws used by Nikon are only 1.6 mm. and the EX3 body is heavier and provides more leverage than a Nikon body.

A lens support can be very simple and easy to adjust, I am not game to use my 300 mm lens without one.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds